2018 Game #9 – vs. D-backs – Sun 4/8 – Lovullo-Molina altercation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Game #9 – vs. D-backs – Sun 4/8 – Lovullo-Molina altercation

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The offense is infuriating. Wong has a breakout but everyone sucks.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

T-Card, I’m totally with you on Weaver. 85 pitches and putting up zeros, yet they pull him. Matheney confounds me with his early use of the pen. This is shades of last year — starters posting quality starts and the bullpen giving it up in late innings. I agree with Mike Shannon as well, way too much reliance on pitch count. Lose a game to “save an arm?” I don’t buy that logic.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Team is hard to watch.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Shannon, he made me laugh in yesterday’s post-game wrap-up. Rooney was saying how proud he was of Wacha for gutting it out 5 innings. It sounded like that comment made Shannon fall out of his chair….saying 5 innings was okay the first week of the season, but these starters need to start going 7. He said if it doesn’t change soon, the bullpen guys won’t be able to comb their own hair.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You deserve to lose if you can only manage to score 1-run! Yes the bullpen blew another lead but its not the offense has done anything today

NJ315
    Participant

4-1 your final.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With the 4-1 Sunday loss, the Cards fall back under .500 at 4-5 on the season.

NJ315
    Participant

Looking similar to last year’s team. But it is still very early.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Unfortunately, Cards’ pen follows up on its fist save with another blown save. Offense has to do better with this pen, or we’re going to have too many of these. Carp and Fowler need to start playing soon.

NJ315
    Participant

Carp looks like he is playing in pain. Just an observation.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I agree the offense has to be better. Its pathetic really how inconsistent they are.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Well, since they allowed the inherited runner to score in the 7th, this isn’t a blown save, but rather just a loss for the bullpen. Way to cause Weaver’s ERA to balloon…

But yes, the bullpen needs to do better, and the bats need to do better.

Wong & Fowler have OBP’s south of the Mendoza line. Carpenter has more walks than hits on the year…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch. The team can’t seem to catch a break with the bullpen no matter what.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cardinals2016: Inherited runners don’t matter on blown saves. It also doesn’t matter if the tying run is unearned. All that matters is for a reliever to be in a save situation (save opportunity) when the reliever gives up the tying run.
    The run is charged to Weaver in this case, but Bowman has a blown save.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

My understanding is for it to be a save opportunity, it has to occur in the 8th or 9th inning.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

And I brought up the fact it was an inherited runner because last year, we had a decent bullpen ERA, but were atrocious when it came to allowing inherited runners to score.

Similarly, we were among the lead leaders in save %, but among the worst in terms of bullpen losses. This is not a blown save, but is a bullpen loss.

The inherited runner was tagged to Weaver’s ERA, not Bowman’s. Bowman doesn’t even get the blown save, because he was pitching in the 7th. The loss goes to Leone.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

C2017, the box score shows that Bowman was credited with a blown save.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I stand corrected.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

A save opportunity can begin as early as the start of the 6th inning. Saturday’s game with Wacha pitching was an example. Wacha left the game as the pitcher of record and the lead after 5 innings. Norris eventually got the save, but Leone, Bowman and Hicks were all credited with a “hold” because they all entered the game in a save situation and did not relinquish the lead.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bowman arm is going to off. Today was his 6th game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold is reporting that Molina will not appeal and will sit out Tuesday night.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

That’s one way for the Cardinals backup catchers to get starts – just have the other teams antagonize Yadi

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a crap decision by MLB. Luvullo should have received a much harsher penalty than Yadi. Luvullo was obviously the instigator.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold now saying that Molina will appeal and will sit out tomorrow if he loses. In fact, Goold is suggesting Molina will likely sit either way (day game following night game).

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good idea Yadi!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.