2018 Game #9 – vs. D-backs – Sun 4/8 – Lovullo-Molina altercation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Game #9 – vs. D-backs – Sun 4/8 – Lovullo-Molina altercation

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RHP Luke Weaver (1-0, 1.80) vs. RHP Taijuan Walker (0-0, 5.40), 1:15 p.m., FS Midwest/KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Getting close to game time and no posts on this thread yet???

Would be nice to take the series from Arizona and have some momentum going into the Milwaukee series. And out of curiosity, what is the weather like in St. Louis? Any snow? The D’Backs announcers said the other night it might snow in St. Louis on Sunday.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

I’d like to see Munoz and Garcia get the MI start today.

Participant

Free

Brebbia back with STL and Sherriff to DL. I wonder if he goes down when Gregerson returns?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Rumor has it that you are binging on Perry Mason reruns this weekend and hence not watching our Birds in action, Rat. I don’t know why, but every time I turn on The Weather Channel, I get this vision of Rat kicked back in his easy chair smoking one of his world renowned foot long Cubans. God willing I’ll be back in the PBP saddle once again this afternoon calling all of the action. Rat, if that doesn’t steer you away from Perry for a few hours, then a raging 5-alarm fire wouldn’t even do the trick. I love Weaver and our Cardinals to prevail in this one by the score of 7-3.

Participant

Free

Yeah I think Weaver will do very well this year. I’m not sure he will be able to make it 189 innings but what he does pitch should be solid.

Participant

Free

180*

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I will not be surprised if Weaver is the stabilizing force on our staff this year. Probably just jinxed him for today.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My personal nickname for Walker is “On”, as in Taijuan “On” Walker. Hopefully the Redbirds tie on his first loss of the 2018 campaign.

Some Sunday notes….

Might be a good time to give Pena a start behind the plate.

It’s looking like Jose Martinez has a lock on the first base job, making Carpenter sort of a high class utility man. Gyorko would be in the same place as Carpenter once he returns. Wong could end up being the odd man out, and I have always thought he could be a real good player at some point. Then you have Garcia and Munoz, although I think Munoz will eventually be in Memphis for every day duty this year. Who knows how it all will play out.

Norris could evolve as a real good set up guy, once Holland is on the club and in a groove. Or maybe they go the other way around, depending on how Holland does once he starts getting opportunities.

You wonder how long the club will put up with Brett Cecil. Once he is back on the roster, I think he has to produce, or he will either be dealt away around the trade deadline, if there are any takers, or DFA’d sometime during the season. A lot of moving parts to that though, including how other pitchers are performing. Cecil would need to keep pitching incredibly bad to cut him loose, but so far he has not shown any reason why you could use him other than in blowouts.

Can the Pirates keep it going? They lost yesterday, but they have a good group of young hitters in Frazier, Polanco and Bell. Add in holdovers Harrison, Marte and Mercer, with Cervelli a pretty good catcher and that is a nice core. Like our team, it will all come down to pitching with them.

Piscotty and Grichuk struggling early in the other league. Grichuk is not a surprise. What-you-see-is-what-you-get with him. He’ll run in to a few pitches and turn some heads, then strike out the next three times. I expect Piscotty to get it going and have a good year though.

Participant

Free

I’ll be a happy man if deJong can keep the strikeouts down to just one or two and Wong can kick his avg up to .100 today.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Weather in STL is low 40s, cloudy. Rain/snow not expected till this evening, so they will get the game in. Tomorrow high 40s, fair.

I expect the D-Backs don’t know much about Weaver, and with his pitching improvements over the last year, advantage Cards.

I’m very interested in Wong and DeJong today at the plate for different reasons. Wong needs to figure out how to hit again for his own survival. Nice guy, good infielder but if he can’t produce offensively we need to find someone who can. DeJong is more of a case study of a good hitter who needs to correct his own mistakes. Much like a golfer correcting a slice. His timing is off, he just needs to adjust hand-eye coordination.

Interesting comments on Pittsburg. By all accounts they should be struggling after releasing McCutcheon and Cole. My guess is a quick start then fade because their pitching staff may not keep up the pace. Looking forward to our first series with them.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CardsRedSox4Ever, for me, Kolten is ignoring rule #1 of hitting…. get a good pitch to hit. Chasing fringe pitches and balls early in the count is winding up in too many pitchers counts where he has to become defensive.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

That’s a good observation and I think you’re right. And as pressure mounts to raise his BA, he may have even more of a tendency to chase those bad pitches. I hope Mabry is helping him through that, but have my doubts about his approach.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Pirates have feasted on a cupcake schedule thus far. 7 of their first 9 games are against the Tigers and Reds, two of the worst teams in baseball. We will see how good they are when they play at Wrigley this week.

We really need to get Wong going. This team is much better when he is an everyday player.

Participant

Wow Molina got hot.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing like a little DonnyBrook to get the adrenaline flowing! Unfortunately it looks like it’s not going to amount to much though. Yadi was very very upset with Avila though….very upset.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

that warmed everyone up!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi may end up being a little lighter in the pocketbook when the MLB front office takes a gander at the tapes of our little squabble here this afternoon…..even though I’m sure Yadi was completely justified in his anger. And it was the DBack skipper who drew Yadi’s angst, not their catcher, Avila.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Weaver flawless thru 3…….4 K’s thus far to boot.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting that the home plate umpire himself decided to leave Molina in the game, despite the fact they made physical contact. Perhaps since the ump initiated it – to wisely keep Molina away from Lovullo – he decided it was not enough for an ejection. As Pugs said, we will have to see how the league office views it, though. I guess Joe Torre is still in charge of discipline.

Lovullo sure knew how to push Molina’s buttons. Did anyone else notice how fast the manager threw his hands into the air to plead his innocence once the melee began?

Participant

He pointed to Molina as he argued with the umpire then played all innocent.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When all is said and done, Lovullo had no business being out there.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A couple tidbits of note for those of you who went out on the town last night instead of being good doobies and staying home watching the games. In the 8th inning of Philadelphia’s 20-1 squeaker vs Miami, the Marlin catcher set the hot Phillie offense down 1-2-3…..the highlight being the whiffment of torrid hitting Hoskins on a 62mph heater. And Houston won in 10 vs the Pads on a walk-off 6 foot infield popup that San Diego failed to catch……now Weaver raps a base hit, the first hit of the game for both teams.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I predict we will see no luv for Luvullo in St. Louis for awhile. It really was not all that stupid a move by the AZ skipper…..he knew he was gone so why not take the Cardinals’ real skipper along with him to the showers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years