2018 Reg Seas Game #10 – vs. Brewers – Mon 4/9

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #10 – vs. Brewers – Mon 4/9

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Holland with 19 pitches and only 6 strikes. He’s lucky he can issue an automatic IBB now or his pitch ratio would be worse.

Participant

Free

Was no one in the front office watching or paying attention to Holland’s games in Palm Beach? The 2nd game he clearly showed he needed more work but no…lets rush him back to St. Louis! Not only should Matheny’s seat be hot but Mo’s seat better be hot as well. He’s the “genius” who compiled this team.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Nice job by Norris

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Why should Molina’s seat be hot? MO’s seat should be on fire and time for the owners to thank the 3 million fans that will come through the turnstiles by spending some of that money on players.

Participant

Free

who said anything about Molina? I clearly said Matheny 😉

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Carpenter is pulling his head big time. Oh for the days he hit .330 and hit doubles

Participant

Free

My preferred line up
    Carpenter 1B
    Bader
    Fowler
    Ozuna
    Gyorko 3B
    DeJong
    Molina
    Schrock/ Munoz

With prospects for Pham, Wong, Martinez, G. Garcia, Voit, Wacha, Norris, Bowman, Holland and blow this thing up like they should have last July. Get a true SS before 2019 to hit 2 or 3, moving DeJong to 3B, Gyorko to 2B, Bader to 8th in the order.
    This isn’t a over reaction to a poor start. This is an overhaul I’ve been calling for since early last year. To much redundancy, poor defense, and nobody putting the ball in play.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Well the edit feature is great and I agree Mathney’s seat should be gone.

Participant

Free

Carpenter should have been traded in the offseason or deadline. He’s a below average defender and now can’t even drive in runs. Putting him in the 3-spot has clearly worked out like everyone said it would. *sarcasm*

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

You can survive with a 4 man bench in the AL but just poor roster management in the NL

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

30 outs and 1/3 are strikeouts – how does Mabry keep his job?

Participant

Free

I don’t mind the 4 man bench. But the manager has to be smart about it. And the manager has to know how to use the 8 man pen. With starters only going 5 innings most games, the 8th reliever is good if the manager is smart about it. Which Matheny hasn’t shown the ability to manage the bench or pen and let’s Molina play 162 games a year.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cardinals players/manager made baseball look really difficult/complicated tonight.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Starter NEED to be able to go more than 5. They let Lynn walk and keep Wacha who is only going to get 5 innings per start.

Disagree on the 4 man bench when you have zero pop at the plate on the bench. Munoz and Garcia really are the same guy in terms of what they give you. We need a RF and a !B with some punch.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards lose 5-4 in 10 innings to fall to 4-6 on the season.

Participant

Free

You expect Matheny to be smart in using a 4-man bench?

In all fairness to Matheny: Carp flat out sucks right now; Holland shouldn’t have been called up so soon; and there are a few more things like roster makeup. However, he needs to reshuffle the lineup.

Participant

Free

Look around the league. It’s not just the cardinals. Most starters aren’t facing the lineup the 3rd time. Numbers prove it’s not effective. Wacha the 3rd time through shows the same thing. Lynn’s numbers FIP and K/9 were both deteriorating and he’s a fastball only pitcher on the wrong side of 30. It was probably smart not to bring him back as much as I liked him. I sure wouldn’t mind trading Wacha, finishing with Flaherty in his spot. Reyes replaces Wainwright in 2019 and hopefully having Martinez, Weaver, Reyes, Flaherty, Mikolas (and replacing him of they have to)

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Not sure how much Wacha would bring at this point.

Participant

Free

From rotoworld:

Greg Holland walked four of the five batters he faced in his Cardinals debut Monday night against the Brewers.
    One of those was an ill-advised intentional walk called by manager Mike Matheny, who probably should have noticed that Holland wasn’t ready after his first couple of pitches. Matheny instead allowed Holland to throw 19 pitches, only six of which were strikes. Holland loaded the bases, then walked Orlando Arcia to give the Brewers the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th inning. Dominic Leone, Bud Norris, or Jordan Hicks should probably handle the Cardinals’ save opportunities until Holland proves more fit for MLB action, but who knows with Matheny at the helm?

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

“Greg Holland walked four of the five batters he faced in his Cardinals debut Monday night against the Brewers. One of those was an ill-advised intentional walk called by manager Mike Matheny, who probably should have noticed that Holland wasn’t ready after his first couple of pitches. Matheny instead allowed Holland to throw 19 pitches, only six of which were strikes. Holland loaded the bases, then walked Orlando Arcia to give the Brewers the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th inning. Dominic Leone, Bud Norris, or Jordan Hicks should probably handle the Cardinals’ save opportunities until Holland proves more fit for MLB action, but who knows with Matheny at the helm?”

Really hard to argue with any of this.

Participant

Free

Another point: Why did Liliquist even get fired? Clearly Maddox hasn’t brought anything new to the table as Matheny is still making the same dumb decisions! That quote from Maddox at the end of Spring Training sums up everything:

“Pretty much I always go paper, and he always goes scissors.”

Participant

Free

As far as 4 or 5 man bench. I would rather run out of position players than I would pitchers. Also when they had a 5 man bench the 5th guy was used as sparingly at Mayers under Matheny. To me a bench of 3 versital guys who complement each other and a catcher is good. I really like versatility on the bench though. A guy like Munoz who can play anywhere, but hes got to put the ball in play.

The pen management is a joke though.

Participant

Free

Participant

Free

Matheny is a MORON for having Holland IBB the bases loaded when he had NO Idea where the ball was going last night and then left him in with the bases loaded like that anybody with even 1 brain cell knew what was going to happen but the Cards coach was to stupid to understand it. The game is still way above his lvl to understanding.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While the players are responsible to perform, it has to become clear at some point that Matheny is a weak link. He seems like a good guy but he just doesn’t appear as though he’ll ever become a solid game day manager. Bringing Holland in was defensible…leaving him in to walk 4 batters was not.

While this team isn’t the Astros or Yankees…it has the talent on hand to win 90 games. With Matheny working his magic, I suspect 86 is about the ceiling. If they’re not on pace to at least meet that at mid season, I would call on them to do a very un-Cardinals thing and fire him mid season. Something to get a spark going.

That said…it’s not all dreariness just yet. But the ship needs to start sailing in the right direction, and soon, before the season slips away.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years