What’s Wrong With Goldy??

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What’s Wrong With Goldy??

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Goldy chicken littles can calm down. He is going to be just fine.

Could have quoted this exactly with Carpenter two Mays ago and been exactly wrong. I’m not at all a Goldy chicken little, but the reality of his age means that every cold streak is the possible start of his career ending slide.

Realistically, I’d expect Goldy to age fairly gracefully, but if his last year, maybe two in St Louis aren’t years where we are in pain because of the money he’s owed for the production we get, that will be a major win in my book.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think part of the angst with Goldy stems from his contract and pedigree. He makes a lot of money and he has been a perennial MVP throughout his career, therefore, expectations are high.

His current slash line of .246/.289/.396.684 is certainly not what we expect of him nor is it where I think he will end up the year. He isn’t going back to his MVP days but I think a year-end slash of .275/.350/.475/.800 is very possible. Why? Track record.

I don’t see this is as drastic as a Carp situation because Carp basically fell of a cliff. Goldy’s decline will be more gradual plus he still gives you very good defense. If he is going to warrant a thread of his own then there are several other players on this team that need a thread.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy doesn’t have the defensive shift problem for his career that helped wreck Carpenters career.

grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Free

Your comment is offensive.

All anybody is doing is pointing out he is underperforming this year, and you can’s criticize others for underperforming while giving Goldy a walk.

You need to learn some manners.

**i cant tell if this is supposed to be snark- if so well done i guess in eating crow? But its ok to call a post misguided when there is evidence against. I would have called the entire thread stupid to be quite honest but i dont like to be offensive.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Albert Pujols can decline hard in his early 30s, so can Goldy. I mean no offense to Goldy, who probably belongs in the Hall of Very Good, but he ain’t Albert.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t discuss whether the guy with the biggest contract in team history (until we traded for Arenado, at least) is declining or whether it’s a temporary blip. He’s off to a slow start, no doubt. We all hope that by years end he will have the big stats we’ve all come to expect. It’s certainly within the realm of reason to expect that he will bounce back.

For the record, I think his overall line ends up something like his 2019 stats. OPS+ around 110-115 and upper 20s homers with 85-90 RBIs. That’s a very good season for a lineup like ours in our ballpark. It’s just not prime Goldy, and that’s ok at his age.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25 said:

…He’s off to a slow start, no doubt…

I beg to differ. He WAS off to a slow start. The last two weeks, he has been very, very good. If he had put up his customary bad month in July, no one would have noticed.

April: .214/.257/.340/.597
    May: .333/.368/.611/.980

An Albert comparison is no more relevant than citing Nelson Cruz, who is still highly productive at age 40.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, I respect your view point. He is hitting the ball better, no doubt. It looks like his .409 BABIP in May is a big driver, after a .264 in April. His walk rate is virtually identical (5.3% in May, 5.5% in April) and his K% is actually up to 28.7 from 25.7 in April.

I would counter with the fact that one of the first signs of a slugger falling off is the drop in OBP. Goldy’s K and BB rates haven’t nominally changed this season, but his luck has. If he can keep on hitting the ball hard, will perform.

Like I said, I think he’ll be ok. But we are approaching the time when a new slugger will be needed for the lineup to be that middle of the order bat that he won’t quite be anymore. Maybe that’s Gorman, or maybe we’ll need to look outside after this year. A lefty woukd be nice.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW said

He WAS off to a slow start.

Sometimes all a guy needs is to be moved down in the lineup. They should try it with DeJong.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think DeJong needs his own thread.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The folks at VEB must read this forum regularly. It is uncanny how often their articles coincide with our thread topics.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Most interesting since a VEB article outlining what was wrong with Goldy is what started this thread. Apparently VEB has come full circle on the matter.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years