What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

This topic contains 676 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 677 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very appropriate to reflect on how the BABIP pendulum can swing both ways.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess time will tell how sustainable his production is. My guess is that JMart’s offense is more sustainable but I doubt that will matter once Bader gets back in CF. Fowler will be the starter in RF no doubt. The Cardinals have made that very clear. At a minimum I think RF should be a platoon.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does Bader get the job when he comes back? I am not saying i like Fowler in CF, nor JMart in RF, but we are winning and the offense is clicking. I say ride it until either we start losing, the offense gets stagnant, or defensive blunders in the OF cost us more than just some E’s on the scorecard

I like Bader, but i say ride this OF as long as it is working

you can bring Bader in late for defense or on the basepaths for speed in double switch, same with Oneill for power off the bench and late game defense

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar thejager.
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

The good news is that Fowler, right now, today, has proven that he has the capabilities of being an offensive force again. It should be a confidence builder and will surely help his mental state. Of course, he will have to maintain a certain level of both offense and defense to become a solid major leaguer again, a player that isn’t a soft spot in the order. A game like last night may have been the kick start he needs to remind him of the past. Oh, and about that crow… once you get past the feathers, with a little salt it tastes like chicken.

There will be plenty of 0-fors (and the team will have those 1 run 3 hits games) and some OF lapses, but I’ll be happy with a .275 BA and some added power in his bat. Let’s hope that Fowler still can remember the glory days of his ’16 potential.

The bad news is that with Bader coming back there will be a decision to be made about who sits and who plays. I don’t think he should be a slam dunk to get his spot back just yet. I, for one, think that going with who is producing right now should be the way to go. I want to keep JoMartinez on the field, but that may not be the approach the Cards take.

And by the way, OF Carlson is producing and progressing nicely. There isn’t anything not to like about his game. His ETA may be closer in time than expected as there has been some discussion that he has moved ahead of several OFs on the depth chart. He should be considered for our top-5 prospects.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I am with you on Carlson but it appears that Lane Thomas is making a strong pitch for some playing time with the show.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I would never leave Fowler in CF, his defense is complete GARBAGE!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Garbage seems pretty harsh a word for somebody that played CF on a WS winning team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am 95% certain that Bader will get his spot back when healthy, which may be as early as tomorrow.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My guess is that this pretty close to peak Dexter

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It appears to me that Schildt is leaning towards a CF platoon of Fowler/Bader with JMart the regular RF. Of course, the situation is fluid.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The biggest clue as to what the Cardinals think of the situation is to watch the lineups. That always tells the tale. Before Fowler’s bout with the flu he was getting some time in CF along with Bader while JMart was playing everyday in RF. It will be interesting to see if that continues.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The difference is Fowler is making 16 million and can`t play defense and will likely find his real level …about .250 -.260 .
    Martinez is poor defensively but can hit but where`s the power gone?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bernie Miklasz is calling for Fowler to be returned to the leadoff spot.

Enough already, it’s time for Cardinals to return Dexter Fowler to their leadoff spot

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler and Carpenter (when healthy) make roster decisions difficult. It would be interesting to see Arozarena or Thomas play in place of Fowler, but contractual obligations say otherwise. And then you have Carlson, who may be a starter in 2020 sometime. I wish there was another team with a contract dump, that might be more palatable to the Cardinals. Perhaps Samardzia and Smith, in a swap involving Fowler, and 2 or 3 prospects. Then again the Giants are reasonably close to the Wild Card, and may not be as apt to trade. Although that seems like false hope, as the Giants don’t seem to able to sustain their record.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another complication would be Fowler’s full no-trade protection.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I keep forgetting about the NTC.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t mind giving Dexter another shot at leadoff but he did fail pretty bad the last chance he got earlier in the season even if it was a small sample. Thinking Dexter is going to turn back into 2016 Dexter seems like wishful thinking on Bernie’s part.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Genius timing by Bernie the Genius. Call for Fowler to hit leadoff when his OBP since the break is .235, which is far better than he did when was actually hitting leadoff. He’s also not been good when leading off an inning this year. Fowler has done his damage from 6 and 7 hole this year. Just put him back there and leave him alone (if you must play him at all).

I mean, you have so many people on here wanting to be rid of Bader, and yet Fowler and Bader have produced the same WAR (1.1) this year (Fangraphs). I’d rather see the young guy who plays great defense than the overpaid, over the hill veteran who pads his offensive stats in low leverage situations.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Currently we have three players that have to play due to their contracts. You can throw in Ozuna and call it a foursome of guys playing way below expectations. How does a team function much less win games with these four clogging up primary spots in the order (when healthy)?

Its like boxing with one arm tied behind your back. With this core of vets (Ozuna will be gone) firmly and contractually tied to this team with no-trade deals, and getting big bucks, going forward how does a team succeed?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What?

Ozuna hit 20 homers, drove in 62 runs (in just 78 games) and in addition to those categories, he also leads the team in slugging. He hasn’t played in three weeks and still no other teammate is close to his RBI. Not even close. He was on pace for a 40/124 season, for Pete’s sake – as good (RBI) or better (HRs) than his best season ever.

Ozuna was NOT “playing way below expectations” – unless your expectations are completely unrealistic and you have a bone to pick.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What was Ozuna’s batting average when he went down?

And yes, I know that’s a 1965 type question and means nothing in today’s game.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When you get out your 1965 baseball cards, you will find home runs and RBI all over the backs.

Viewing 25 posts - 651 through 675 (of 677 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years