What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

This topic contains 664 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Bw52 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 665 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have a thread of this nature for Carp and I feel it is unfair to single him out so I think I will start a few more threads for some of the others that are playing terribly.

It is obvious that Fowler should be reduced to a platoon level player at a minimum. He is horrid against LH pitchers and not much better against righties. We have to pay him for 3 1/2 more years. We had better pray for a second half hot streak like last year.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade him for any mid range prospect even if Cards have to pay part of his salary if traded.Enough is enough.Cards have plenty of OF proects with futures instead of a underperforming overpaid guy who is clueless at the plate now.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Seconded BW.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Only way the Cards will be able to trade him is to pay almost all of his salary and accept no return. Given that, a trade isn’t going to happen.

I’m in favor of a platoon with Bader, bat Fowler 7th or 8th in the lineup and see what happens.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what I’m hearing from bloggers and fans and Hummel’s Q-A

Its been a while since the Cards have been faced with so many staff problems at one time. Fowler, Carpenter, Wong, Ozuna, Wainwright are all serious concerns. With the ace Martinez, Molina, Lyons and Leone all on the disabled list. Kelly is getting called out about his hitting, Martinez about his fielding and Weaver about his pitch count. Not much said about it, but Pena can’t hit.

There’s some good work being done in the bullpen, DeJong hasn’t turned into Diaz, Pham IS repeating his ’17 breakout, Martinez continues to be a surprise at the plate and the biggest wonder has been Mikolas. Wacha is pitching better than expected.

Some are looking forward to Reyes and Flaherty stepping up into the rotation and Bader and O’Neill to start getting more playing time in the OF.

We need to trade for Machado now.

Of course many are still screaming for Matheny to go, followed by Mabry. Same old stuff.

This sounds like a lot of turmoil. Is anyone hearing anything else?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We have so many bullpen arms that I had forgotten all about Leone! Crazy! Anyone know his status? May need him if Gregerson can’t get it together.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I hear about Leone is that he’s playing TEGWAR with Lyons and Martinez in the hotel lobbies.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowlers bat looks SO SLOW. Same as Carpenter. If you cannot hit the fastball it is game over. They are routinely missing 90-92 fastballs. And let’s not even get into a hitter being smart enough to beat a shift.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Only way the Cards will be able to trade him is to pay almost all of his salary and accept no return.

Not only that, the only teams that would take him on are teams that are tanking and trying to get the highest draft pick, but he has a full NTC!!!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other than not signing him, I sure wish we had made it a 4 year with a 5th year option. I believe that was what swayed him from a Toronto offer possibly? What a terrible idea it was signing him. Especially if it was for getting back at the Cubs for signing Heyward. To me he has and always will be a good on base guy, (usually) an average at best defender, and a below average arm.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Barring an offensive revival we either trade him or bench him. To trade him we would have to pay 75% of his salary plus he has a no trade clause. Good luck with that.

We could make him the 4th or 5th OF but would the Card pay him $16.5M per year to do that? I don’t know but that is what it will take to give Bader or O’Neill a full time opportunity. O’Neill is bashing the ball at Memphis right now. It would be nice to see if that could translate to the big league level or if he is just another Grichuk.

The problem we have is that our next big offensive addition needs to be LH. We have no balance to the lineup. Currently our best LH hitter is Greg Garcia. Think about that.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just wonder how a Fowler trade would ever take place? Even eating a lot of salary, who would want him? And at what point do you cut him? I do not see the Cards and their penny pinching ways cutting him until year 3 or 4. Meanwhile, we are losing games.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would think at minimum they’ll need to eat half his salary…and that’s even assuming a rebound. If he keeps on being a below average hitter and fielder going forward it would have to be 75% of it or more.

If a DFA were to happen, it would be in the last year of the deal. Of that I’m certain. Out of respect to the veteran, they would definitely let him try to right himself in that last year.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Other than not signing him, I sure wish we had made it a 4 year with a 5th year option. I believe that was what swayed him from a Toronto offer possibly?

Yes, the Cardinals were the only team to offer him a 5th year. Mozeliak said that was what they needed to do to secure his services.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who cares how much salary Cards eat? The real fact is that he is playing like horsecrap and there are several younger options available who could have futures instead of having their best baseball in the rearview mirror.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OPM = other people’s money

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Cards27 is correct. I can’t see any way out of Fowler’s Contract until mid 4th year. When all hope is lost by Dewitt!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is less than a 1% chance of Fowler being DFA’d anytime soon because of the money owed. I suppose if they are willing to eat 75% there is a chance they could trade him but eating that kind of money on top of paying Mike Leake to pitch elsewhere are the kind of things that get front office people fired.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am not defending Fowler’s play this year to date (how can you defend the undefensible) but over the last 12 months his OPS is near .900 – second best on the team behind Pham.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

And his defense has been absolutely horrid

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From a VEB feature story about Fowler overflowing with graphs and every stat imaginable. The conclusion seems quite simple…

Better days are ahead for Dexter Fowler. With as much as he’s been stung by batted ball luck, better days have to be ahead.

Geez, I hope that DF can get this read and absorbed before tonight’s game.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Even without any in-depth analysis, you know that Dexter will be better over the remainder of the year than he has so far. He won’t finish the season hitting under .200.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sabercrap whatever!Fact is Fowler looks like crap batting and attemptting to play defense and dumbass baserunning.Addition by subtraction.Get him out of here.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is .200 the over/under? Right now I’m leaning towards the under. He might not be on the field enough to get his average up… and why should he be? The FO should consider just paying him off and be done with their attempt to bring in a lead-off hitter, team clubhouse leader and center fielder for the next three years. Now they have enough on their plate convincing fans that Ozuna is a power-hitting, all-star, GG cleanup type who only hits singles… when he hits at all.

They don’t have time to worry about who the heck our starting catcher is. And as for his backup, they might not even realize that he was was in the organization and that he has to be added to the 25-man roster, thus de-commissioning Wainwright until Sept. They also have to throw together a farewell tour for that. Go Mo!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I had to project Dexter thru the end of the season, I would say he’d finish the year hitting at a .204 clip, with 11 dingers and 51 rbi. Needless to say, but there will be no GG honors coming his way either. William Dexter Fowler…….you either love him or you dislike him (as a player)…..there is no in between.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 665 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years