Wainwright or Ross in 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright or Ross in 2019

This topic contains 101 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would rather Cards spend on a solid reliable LH bullpen guy.I have doubts about Cecil being a Card in 2019.Tyler Webb stats are better than he has pitched but he might be worth a chance next season.I wondered why Tommy Layne was not given a chance since he did so well at AAA and has had MLB success.I think he is a minor FA.Maybe Cards can convince him to return with a Spring training invite.

There are several options available in FA
    LH bullpen guys
    -Andrew Miller 34 Cleveland 9.0 2018 salary.
    Justin Wilson 31 Cubs 4.25 2018 salary.
    Jake Diekman 32 AZ 2.8 2018 salary.
    Jerry Blevins 35 Mets 2018 salary 7.0 (having a down season-bounceback candidate 2019).

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I don’t see a lot of emotion driven support for Wainwright, at least not here. Who knows what will happen if both of these two show up in ’19 camp. This doesn’t seem like the time to be pointing out the failures of one or the other. To me there are some cheap shots to sway opinions. Jeez, give Waiwright a chance to make a decision before criticizing his every recent performance.

Note: Neither one is not an option as an answer to this question!

IMHO, neither will be going North next March, and this question seems to be moot to me. I don’t see the point.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Genesis Cabrera mid season callup if his stats improve? I’m sure they’d love to keep him a starter, but 97+ from a lefty would be nice in the pen.

People may not like the thought, but I’d be fond of a Trevor Rosenthal reunion. He’s probably going to come cheaper than any of the other bullpen options and he’s going to be among the youngest, still just 28 at the start of next year. Give him two years with the second an option with some incentives and see what’s there. That is, if he looks healthy in a showcase.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25- MLB trade rumors says Rosenthal is planning a showcase this fall for any interested teams.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had posted info on Rosenthal’s showcase plans on the “Former Cardinals in the News” thread.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I am not sure where you frequent other than here, but I can assure there are many who want Wainwright back to finish his career as a Cardinal, especially after his Dodgers start.

I don’t know if the “cheap shot” comment was directed at me, but if it was, I encourage you to point out any factual inaccuracies in my article. I will be anxiously awaiting them and if needed, will gladly issue a retraction. I sense some fans struggle with uncomfortable topics like this one, which is why I take great care to base my points on facts.

I purposely chose to post my article before his Friday start because I do not believe that result should change anything. Whether he throws a complete game shutout or is bombed in the first inning will not alter my conclusion. He deserves to be asked back, but if so, on much different, stricter terms, that he may or may not accept.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If they’re interested in putting the best product they can on the field, I don’t see how they bring Wainwright back.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is time for the club to thank Adam for all he as done and wish him well in all his future endeavors. He really has not been the same or a consistent hurler for several seasons. It is time to turn in a different direction.

I have always liked Ross. I thought the club should have taken a chance on him when he was a free agent. He can provide a quality veteran presence to a young pitching staff. I would sign him if he was willing to fill the role of a spot starter and long relief. Competitive base salary with incentives if he were to become a regular in the rotation.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Avatar 1964cards.
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Ross could be signed as veteran swingman at a cheap price then why not have him as a fallback option in case of another big attack of the injury bug next season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Terms are never announced by the team so we will have to wait until someone else reports that.

Regarding role, Mo said this in the press release.

“There is risk, but it is shared, and this deal gives us added depth as we look to 2019.”

I think Ross is a goner.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have little doubt the terms will be on Cots in less than 48 hours.

I thought even if a deal was agreed to that they would wait until after the Rule 5 and nom tender dates for the actual signing to give the team more roster flexability.

I am sure AW will be given every shot to be in the rotation (i.e. he will have to pitch his way out of the rotation). The question is how long is his leash.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, I imagine the details will come out soon. Terms are sometimes shared by agents, delivered through baseball “insiders”. Sometimes local beat reporters can get it. Since contracts are turned into MLB, other times terms are intercepted by contacts then. Cots provides a valuable service by warehousing the information, no matter its source.

I agree with you on the timing. Waiting until December could have helped the team a bit, but no matter when it is done, he still takes a 40-man spot (and as you note, probably a rotation spot, too).

Perhaps they see ticket sales value in re-signing him now. I encounter many who value continuing his legacy more than his recent contributions.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this is a fine move, if i was Weaver though i may be a bit worried about getting that starting gig ever again though. Shodul put a fire under Weaver’s butt to improve or expect AAA or a bullpen role. If he wants to be a starter anytime soon he is going to be competing with Reyes and Hudson and Woodford and Gomber and Ponce and Gant

until there is a trade from that depth you have to imagine that if you are on the outside looking in it will be pretty difficult to break in for 2019 outside of Waino’s spot maybe

CMart, Mik, Wacha, Jack, Waino
    is the rotation right now you’d have to think

but it easily could be:
    Mik, Wacha, Jack, Waino, several options
    with CMart as closer

or:
    Mik, Jack, Waino, Reyes, Weaver/Hudson/Gant etc.

I think right now Jack, Waino and Mik are locked in for rotation spots at least if hey are healthy

everyone else seems a toss up as to role or even whether they are traded or not

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goold wrote that Wainwright has incentives for both starting and relieving, but has no specifics other than that.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

good to see the incentives cover both…

NJ315
    Participant

Same old Cardinals. I don’t even know why I expect anything different. If he is a good mentor to the young pitchers make him a coach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Hard for Weaver to improve when this is the best he can do. Guy needs to be dealt to a team he can start for because he can’t start here. I’ve seen enough! Maybe Seattle needs a starter.

Waino will be given every opportunity to start because they guys who we brought up last season while have a glimpse of success at times were also very inconsistent and had trouble get past 5 innings. Even Battling Jack had his issues. IMO it’s basically a battle for the 5th starter Job. I would pitch Reyes out of the pen for a season (like I wanted last season). If they don’t go out and get a closer they should seriously consider him in Kenley Jansen type role. Then they build him up for a starter in 2020.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Also I hope the Cardinals are getting a good deal on frequent flyers from Memphis.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know there are many objectors. But, to me, this is heartwarming. I hope Waino goes out in style. DeWitt has class. No doubt about it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Jen Langosch:

“He’ll come to Spring Training as a starting pitcher, and then we’ll see how things work out,” general manager Michael Girsch said.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I like the sentiment of having Waino back, I am not sure this was the best move. We need 40-man roster spots until after the rule 5 draft unless we make a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade.

He will provide guidance to the young pitchers. If 100% healthy, he will be a pretty good pitcher.

Since there are definite health concerns with his elbow, he shouldn’t get very much guaranteed. However, since he signed before free agency, the largest cut he could take is 20%.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I like it. No guaranteed role.

Like others have said, some of our younger pitchers have been inconsistent. Alex Reyes needs to prove he can stay healthy for longer than 35 seconds. CMart is a big basket of uncertainty.

Lots of roles open. Let’s see where Waino fits since I think he showed enough at season’s end to be able to contribute positively next season.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years