Wainwright or Ross in 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright or Ross in 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If the Cards decide they want a veteran long man/spot starter for 2019 and narrow in on a choice between Wainwright and Ross at a similar price, which would you prefer? If it is Wainwright, how much of his Cardinal history affects your decision?

Note: Neither one is not an option as an answer to this question!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ross….”but it’s a lot closer than I thought it would be”…….for some reason, I always liked that line from the hit movie “Invincible”. Ross has more than proved his worth so far as a Cardinal. If we don’t have him in our plans for 2019, I can think of about 25 teams who would. But with all that Waino has done for this team over the years, I feel guilty not tabbing him.

NJ315
    Participant

Ross.

NJ315
    Participant

Delete

NJ315
    Participant

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NJ? Ross? Waino? Someone else?

The sane mind has to go with Ross. Waino is not the future. Oh what a huge part of the past he was though!

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

I agree with Pugs, Carioca. It’s Tyson Ross in a relative landslide if the money’s the same.

Ross has been really good more recently than Waino (2015 v 2014), which is a small point in his favor. But the much larger point is that Tyson is sooo much younger. I think there’s a non-trivial chance that the 31-year-old Ross rebounds to a slightly lesser version of his best self, and even Tyson Ross Lite would be a solid #3/4 starter on a 90-win team.

But with all due respect, CC, I feel like the premise doesn’t fit the StL personnel anyway. In 2019 Gant and Gomber should both be long men/spot starters in my opinion, with Ponce migrating into short relief and Hudson competing with Reyes and Weaver for the final rotation slot alongside Martinez, Wacha, Mickolas, and Flaherty. With average health, and if they figure out how Weaver is tipping his pitches, it should be an excellent rotation again next year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While neither has been particularly great, I’d probably go with Ross since he’s younger. Waino would be cheaper, though.

The perfect scenario would be Waino choosing to retire after this year. As much as I think he’s not as good as most of the 2019 rotation options, I wouldn’t like to see him pitching without the Birds on the bat on the uniform.

wagee12
    Participant

Hey RR. Weaver. really?? Was that a joke? He needs to be a part of a trade, no a starter in St. Louis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We can’t assume that Weaver’s only problem is pitch tipping. The lack of a curve ball is a much bigger problem in my opinion.

As for Waino or Ross, I would lean Ross. He is younger, cheaper, and it is usually a good idea to go with your head over your heart. Sentimentality can get you in trouble.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Weaver hit a bump. It is expected for young pitchers, and there is every expectation that he should learn and grow from this. A slightly better version of Weaver before his maddening troubles is a very valuable starter.
    I like Wainwright because he would provide ace-like production until his elbow balks again, and then one of the future starters slide right in.
    Ross very well could provide us with way more poor innings clogging the staff with an overpriced cast off.
    Waino has led many staffs, but Ross has rarely been a part of a winner.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The decision will be made if Waino is offered say a two-year deal from another club. Perhaps the young Atlanta club will bring him back as a guy who will provide leadership, and some innings out of their bullpen for a couple of years. Tough to say though. I lean a little bit to Waino as he brings more of that leadership and intangible assets to the club. He should pitch in relief though.

Weaver’s primary issue is location. His stuff is good, but he misses in and out of the zone too often. He probably needs to work on developing a more effective cutter, and perhaps a sinker. With his physique, he may be more suited to a bullpen role long-term.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For all we know neither Waino or Ross could be on the team next year. But if we are choosing between the two the decision should be based on future projections instead of past heroics.

As for Weaver it is difficult for a two pitch pitcher to be an effective starter. That second and third time through the order can be a killer. He might be able to become an effective reliever.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The last time Wainwright provided “ace-like production” was in his age 32 season, back in 2014. It is also the last season he logged an ERA better than Ross’ career average of 3.94.

I am not saying Ross will be another Woody Williams, but to this point, there are definitely parallels, including a major improvement once becoming a Cardinal. (The main difference is that Woody started while Ross is working out of the pen.)

Another important factor not yet mentioned here is salary expectations for 2019. Even if Wainwright took a 50% pay cut, it would be just under $10 million. The Cards could easily buy two or three Rosses for that or more likely, use the money to improve the team elsewhere.

As much as I respect what Wainwright has done, he would have to take a very low-base, heavily incentive-laden contract to be asked back to my team for 2019. Over the last three years, he has received almost $60 million in return for 4.74 ERA results – so he has been treated very well already for his many past successes.

Regarding his current performance, “Been there, done that”. In the last few years, he’s had a few good starts before, leading to the same premature celebrations that the “old Waino” was back.

For example:

July 2016 – 3 straight wins, 1 run over 23 innings. August ERA = 6.10, Sept ERA = 5.05
    May-June 2017 – 4 straight wins, 1 run over 26 1/3 innings. Two of next three starts = 9 ER each

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was mentioned.

As for Waino or Ross, I would lean Ross. He is younger, cheaper, and it is usually a good idea to go with your head over your heart. Sentimentality can get you in trouble.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, I think Ross will get North of $5 million next year even if is for long relief. Someone putting him in their rotation might pay more.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am less sure about that, CC. Prior to this season as a free agent, Ross took a minor league deal and $1.75 MM base plus incentives only if he made the majors (which he did). His San Diego results during the year were bad enough he was put on waivers and went unclaimed by a majority of the MLB teams despite the remainder of that relatively low salary due. So, you really think eight games for the Cards has increased his value that much?

But does it really matter whether Wainwright’s salary is double or triple Ross’ next year? Does anyone disagree that Ross should come substantially cheaper? Isn’t that the relevant point?

NJ315
    Participant

Ross will be cheaper and is younger. If/when deciding between Ross or Waino the choice is clear, Ross is your man.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I could see Ross getting a Bud Norris contract with incentives. A guy like Ross who might be a swingman veteran would be of importance. You still have Wacha around as another mentor as well.

Waino if he indeed wants to continue needs to pick his destination carefully. Definitely needs to pitch in a park that’s pitcher friendly if he’s offered a chance to start. My guess is that’s what will happen or he’ll be offered a deal where he can get the opportunity to start or come out of the pen. A place Like Florida or San Diego would match well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To clarify the post above, Norris got a $3 MM base plus incentives this season – and he was coming off 19 saves with the Angels.

Interestingly, Norris’ 2017 deal with LAA looked identical to Ross’ deal this year with SD. $1.75 MM base plus incentives if he made the MLB roster.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Wainwright has demonstrated that he is back, at least in two occasions.

Ross is someone that I don’t think we want on the staff if we want to win a pennant. I don’t see him anywhere useful, a journeyman at best.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Another bases loaded choke. Let’s get a third baseman. Been saying that for a few years. Sorry wrong thread. Please delete

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ha! We’ve all done it, GAC! We do need that 3rd baseman though!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Totally agree!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.