Wainwright’s dead arm and the playoff rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright’s dead arm and the playoff rotation

Viewing 22 posts - 76 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

They thought they had Liberatore and Matz this year. And some other guys. It would be insane to not try to retain a guy who can answer the bell every 5 days and pitch pretty decent.

How much do you think that costs? How many lefties do you want in a rotation?

You think they sign Dickerson? I bet not!

They haven’t exactly gone the extra mile to sign a player they’ve traded for or signed to a one year deal. I mean you know this right?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Phillies have a .770 team OPS against lefties and .729 against righties.

For reference, the Cards are at .812 against righties and .728 against lefties. Not quite as pronounced, but I could see the Cards trying to split the lefties.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like that JJ with the two lefties. Teams don’t face lefties as often so coming at them twice might be a good strategy.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

In a short series absolutely. Give em 2 lefties and load up the pen. You likely eliminate 2 threats

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, I’m more concerned with schwarber, harper, marsh and stott than I am with the remainder of their roster. If we could limit those starters and play mix and match later, I’d like our chances.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Go Chiefs!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

858, I am not saying they will, just that it would be crazy not to try. But they may do like they have the last few years with the rotation and expect a different result, or maybe the same result. They are “competitive” after all.

Lee
    Participant

The way Waino has pitched his last 6 or so outings, there is no way he should see the mound in the post-season. I think time has come to end a Great Career. By no means should the FO or OM, start him because of what he has done in the past: to jeopardize this post season opportunity would be a large mistake. If nothing else Waino should step aside to allow the best chance of success one more time for himself, Yadi and Albert.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s going to pitch

book it

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lee
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong. I would love to see Waino pitch and dominate, but I just don’t think that will happen.
    If he does start and continues like his last 5-6 outings, it will be a short appearance.
    Hopefully I’m wrong, Waino starts game 1, and dominates for a complete game shutout.!!!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Lee…I don’t think he’ll start the opener, but I think he’ll be on the first round roster and if the first round goes to game 3, I wouldn’t be entirely astounded if he gets the baseball. A month ago, I would have bet a dollar he’d be the SP’er for game 1.

Lee
    Participant

Very well may happen that way toughdominica.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Oli has made it clear he has a significant lean to righties against the Phils. It’s going to be the Phils. Therefore, I don’t believe Q and Monty will both get a start. Looks to me like it will be Mikolas, Q, and the other to be either Wainwright or Flaherty. Regardless of September, sounds like Oli trusts Wainwright more for October.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hate to say it out loud, but I would not want Wainwright starting a win or go home game. I think Ollie has to go with the 3 guys that have have been the most consistent turning in a decent start. Whether Flaherty’s last start puts him in that group is Ollie’s call.

In my dreams the WS goes to game 7, we have a big lead and Waino comes on to close it out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Based on how the Cardinals usually handle these types of situations I would be surprised if Waino is not a starter in the playoffs. They usually show a lot of deference to their long time veterans, especially those who will wear the red jacket one day.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“when everything is on the line it’s a different beast” — Marmol

Lets hope Wainwrights dead arm agrees, Oli.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Lets hope Wainwrights dead arm agrees, Oli.

Funny, jj. Dead things don’t usually disagree, so we’ve got that in our favor.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ollie might be off the mark. I cannot think that Wainwright has been lacking in resolve or motivation so that the post season setting would make a difference.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now BB, we are supposed to consume the BS, hook, line and sinker!

Wheeler
    Nola
    Thor

In that order, is my guess, and Wheeler has owned us this season, twice. We lit up Gibson so not expecting a start from him vs us.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro, I’m getting a bad feeling about Marmol preferring righty pitchers vs Philly.

In a game Philly really needed to win last night, their lefty bats shined. 8 of their 9 hits, 19 of their 20 total bases.

Astros rhp’s did shutdown the Philly righty bats, but at the cost of playing into the Phillies best bats.

Realmuto has switch hitter stats, but is Hoskins, Bohm, Castellanos and Seguera the batters that pitchers fear in that lineup?

Maybe I’ve got this backwards. Their lefty bats are who I’d try to matchup best against.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

jj, I was watching a lot of that game. Oli might want to take into account who’s presently raking, e.g., Schwarber. But with the lineups the Cards have put out the last 2 seasons after clinching, I’m not sure they think being hot entering the playoffs is very important. I get resting where the need is pressing, but this ain’t Jupiter in March.

Viewing 22 posts - 76 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.