Wainwright’s dead arm and the playoff rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Wainwright’s dead arm and the playoff rotation

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How many times have we brought a guy in, watched him thrive in year one and then fall off in year two and beyond? I like Quintana, but I’m also leery that he’s having a career year at age 33. Unless it’s a sweet, sweet deal I think I’m ok with him moving on.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

We need an ace.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There were at least 5 aces available last winter, and we got Matz.

bccran
    Participant

JJ – Did you want to pay Scherzer $43,333,333.00 in 2022 and 2023, with a player option of $43,333,333.00 for 2024?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know we are not getting an ace unless we develop one, so your question is pointless to me.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there’s a shot that the Cards could trade for a front of the rotation starter this off-season. Yet, it would probably require one of two things…either 1) the team gets trounced in the Wild Card round by major lopsided scores where the pitching is clearly an issue or 2) the pitcher comes at some sort of discount.

On the market, I expect that the Cards will kick the tires on the big names (like DeGrom and Verlander), and maybe even be tied to the middle-upper tier guys like Rodon or Bassitt. If they sign someone, I would think it would be a resign of Waino and Quintana, and call it a day. I don’t think that move will get us any further than this year, though.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I consider Mikolas a very solid SP2.

I do not expect StL to acquire anyone clearly better than Mikolas, which would be my definition of an ace.

Monty SP3, Matz SP4 and Hudson SP5.

What we need is 2018 Flaherty to fill the ace role. Maybe it was 19′, when he was at his best, that guy again.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody mentions Liberatore anymore.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nobody mentions Liberatore anymore.

He’s not completely out of the picture, but I think most have accepted that he’s not likely to be a front of the rotation guy at this point. At the same time, his career arc isn’t that different than Waino’s at this same age so it’s not as though he can’t turn it around.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Would love to have Rodon. Pie in the sky stuff, I know, but at least not stratospheric level like deGrom would be.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rodon is fantasic, Euro…my only concern is his injury history. But when he’s healthy, he’s a game changer for sure.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You never know with the arms. I think Rodon might be about as primed as anybody to have 3 or 4 elite seasons. He has thrown more innings in the last two years compared to any other 2-year stretch for him. He was a workhorse in college, with many high pitch-count games. That might’ve been a contributing factor, but hopefully he is past the serious problems now.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think we pretty much stand pat. If Waino retires we sign Quintana. Hudson gets traded.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am skeptical that we make any major additions to the rotation this winter.

I like Rodon a lot but I have concerns about his injury history (just like I did with Matz).

Verlander would be great but he is going to want a contract like Scherzer, which will be cost prohibitive.

I would really like to swing a trade for Bieber but I know the return package would be high.

Most likely we bring Waino back and possibly Quintana, and I am fine with both.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Danny Mac just said of Wainwright “well he’s talked about, you know, this could be getting past the dead arm stage, but more, it’s a mechanical thing right now for him.”

This as Wainwright has given up 4 ER, 3 H, & 2 BB in 3 innings pitched against the Pirates at home thus far today.

Dead arm, mechanical, or whatever, it’s not good on his last start leading to the postseason. Cards are in a pickle on this one. He really shouldn’t start in the wild card series.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

This is past ‘swan song’ year. This is a roasted duck. No shame in hanging it up at age 41. A long proud career. No time left to fix his mechanics. That HR was a meat ball.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should he, or shouldn’t he start in the postseason, has been answered by Wainwrights performance.

The question now becomes, will they, or won’t they.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should he, or shouldn’t he start in the postseason, has been answered by Wainwrights performance.

The question now becomes, will they, or won’t they.

Totally agreed. He’s been better than we could have expected this year, really just a bad month to leave us with a sour taste. I think you rest him in the Wild Card series and maybe run him out in the division series with a short leash. Anything else is not in the best interest of the team winning games.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And that’s the key in the postseason, what is best for the team.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ollie has to pull a playoff rotation out of his . . hat.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

In a 5 or 7 game series maybe. In a 3 game WC series no. He should not start. Mikolas, Montgomery and Either Quintana or Flaherty depending on matchups.

And to answer to the next question. Do you really think they’ll sign Quintana when they’ve got Monty, Libratore, Matz? All lefties in the fold next year. The numbers tell you that will be a hard no. They need to a couple pen arms imo.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Flaherty?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Waino appears to be done. If we beat the odds and get a ring, or even advance to the World Series I think Waino walks away on a high note.

Flaherty has the look of the 2023 ace, but we will see how his endurance is once the innings start to accumulate. Maybe a dark horse in-house candidate puts it together like Liberatore, or the oft-injured and command-challenged duo of Hicks or Reyes.

In the “what if?” category, we would be sitting pretty with Alacantara and Gallen at 1 & 2 right now. With those two going in a short series, you would not want to bet against them. Ah, but that is gambles you take win your club is usually in a “win now” situation.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do you really think they’ll sign Quintana when they’ve got Monty, Libratore, Matz? All lefties in the fold next year.

They thought they had Liberatore and Matz this year. And some other guys. It would be insane to not try to retain a guy who can answer the bell every 5 days and pitch pretty decent.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, here’s my 3game starter preference before Oli announces his. Vs Philly or Mil……

Monty Friday on 5 days rest
    Q Saturday on 4 days rest
    Mikolas Sunday on 5 days rest if necessary.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.