Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We just won the first game of the Marlins series 6-4 on a walkoff two run dinger by Edman in the last of the 9th off of Jarlin Garcia! Brebbia and Gant managed to allow single runs in the 8th and 9th which tied the game 4-4. Gant allowed a two out rbi double by Granderson in the top of the 9th.

Brebbia has struggled lately, along with Gallegos. This Friday night game against the Angels will be the last for Hicks as that is when he went down for the season in 2019. Carlos Martinez then becomes our late inning closer. Ugh……

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How ironic I suppose.

Miami at St. Louis. Richards and Wainwright. Quite the pitchers duel. 2-1 Marlins heading to the last of the 9th. Cards only run came on Tyler O’Neill’s 6th homerun of the year in the 2nd. Richards goes eight innings, 1 run, 1 earned run, walks 3, fans 5. Don Mattingly sends in Sergio Romo for the save.

Arenado leads off with a single to left. Goldschmidt goes down on strikes. And then Tyler O’Neill slams his 2nd homerun of the game, 7th on the year, to win it for the Redbirds. 3-2 the final. Gallegos the win in relief of Wainwright. Romo the blown save and the loss.

How ironic in that in real life this game ended on an 11th inning walkoff homerun by Goldschmidt. And now we win it on a 9th inning walkoff homerun as well.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

First game of the LA Angels series. Pujols return to Busch.

And it wasnt pretty for Albert. He went 0-3. Groundout to Flaherty in the first. Hit into a 543 DP in the 3rd. Walk in the 6th. Hit into a 643 in the 8th to kill the Angels rally.

7-4 Cardinals the final. And Hicks went down with a season ending injury. Helsley was recalled. Carlos Martinez is now anointed the late inning closer.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat hands closer duties over to Carlos??……never thought I’d see the day. I still anxiously await Yadi getting off the proverbial schneid and yanking his first round tripper on the campaign. I predict that Yadi will finally go yard vs the Pirates in a Sunday matinee affair. Keep the games a coming, Rat, as it sure takes the frigid nip out of the freezing winter air. It came in super handy earlier this week when I was out snowblowing the driveway in below zero temperatures. My hands and feet were frozen stiff…..so what did I do? Go in the house? Nope, I merely whipped out my cell phone with my shivering stiff fingertips and proceeded to read some of Rat’s Strat-O-Action…….and just like that I felt so warm and fuzzy that I tore off my jacket, earmuffs, hat and gloves and proceeded to finish snowblowing the driveway and walks without a hitch. Anybody seen BicycleMike? His Strat-O-Action had been mysteriously silent.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Been busy with the Cardinals fantasy draft, along with work Pugs. But I am at the league championship series. Unfortunately the Cubs knocked out our Cards as I reported earlier. They will play the Giants for the NL pennant in a best of seven.

The Giants, down 2-0 in a best of five with the 102 win Dodgers, came back and won 3 straight to take the series. They were only 75-87 in the season, but are in the LCS. Game 5 was a classic, reminiscent of the two playoffs those teams had in ‘51 and ‘62. Both of those 3 gamers looked be Dodger wins, but the Giants sneaked away and won ‘em. My game five was the same way.

ALCS is Tigers and Yankees. Yanks were down 2 games to 1 against the Orioles and came back to win the final two. Tigers won in four against the Twins.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards were going for the sweep of the Angels in the Sunday Night ESPN game. And what a crushing defeat this turned out to be.

On the strength of a pair of 2-run homeruns by Arenado the Cards take a 4-3 lead to the top of the 9th. Carlos Martinez on the mound. He just replaced Hicks as the closer as Hicks is done for the year. Martinez retires the first two but then Shohei Ohtani pinch-hits and singles to left. That brings up the leadoff hitter, Tommy LaStella. Cards are one out away from the sweep when LaStella slams his 2nd homerun of the game to give the Angels the 5-4 lead. Robles strikes out the side in the 9th and that’s that.

Cards sit 45-32 now and Oakland comes to town for a quick two game series starting Tuesday night. Bassitt and Wainwright in the opener.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking it’ll be the Giants vs the Tigers for all of the marbles in BicycleMike’s campaign. Glad to see you back in the saddle, BicycleMike.

In Rat’s Strat-O-Action, I love our Redbird offense to hound Bassett, to the tune of an 8-3 drubbing. Play ball!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Not quite Pugs. Almost the exact opposite.

Cards trail Oakland and Bassitt 3-0 heading to the last of the 6th. Matt Carpenter leads off with his 1st triple of the year. Edman follows with a double and after a visit to the mound by the A’s pitching coach Carlson fouls to Chapman at 3rd for the 1st out. Then Arenado slams his 19th homer of the year to tie the game 3-3.

Brebbia on for the 7th and Matt Chapman unloads with a three run homer to put Oakland up 6-3. And that’s how it ends. Brebbia has been struggling lately and this game was no exception.

45-33 now and Mengden and Ponce de Leon will toe the rubber in the Wednesday night game. Then it’s off to the west coast to face San Diego, Seattle, and San Francisco.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards also lost the last game to Oakland. 4-2 was the final in that one. A two run homer by Matt Wieters accounted for the only runs.

Redbirds start a west coast trip in San Diego at Petco Park. Flaherty and Lauer on the hill. Cards erupt for five runs in the first and go on to win this one 6-3. Flaherty wasn’t at his best but he did pitch into the 7th inning. Webb, Gallegos, and Brebbia closed it out. Brebbia finally got someone out.

46-34 now and after tomorrow’s game in San Diego we will be at the halfway point. Mikolas and Paddack in this one.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The middle game of the Padre series. Mikolas and Paddack. Things go bad in a hurry.

Tatis triples to lead off the bottom of the 1st and scores on a Machado sac fly. Machado homers in the 3rd to make it 2-0 Padres. In the last of the 4th our old buddy Greg Garcia coaxes a two out walk off of Mikolas. After a visit to the mound from Mike Maddux, the pitching coach, Mikolas gives up a grand slam to Tatis. That put the Padres up 6-0 and the Cards couldn’t recover.

6-1 San Diego. Paddack goes 7 innings for the win. Mikolas takes the loss, he falls to 5-6 on the year with an ERA of 4.41. Cards fall to 46-35 at the halfway point. And Molina just missed his first homerun in the 7th, a double off the top of the wall in leftfield.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FINALLY! Molina gets off the schneid.

Sunday afternoon at Petco Park. Wainwright and Lucchesi. And Tommy Edman gets things started with a leadoff homerun. Later in the inning doubles by Goldschmidt and O’Neill make it 2-0.

And in the St. Louis 4th Yadier Molina blasts his 1st homerun of the year. That made it 3-0 Cards. Wainwright went six, then Miller, Brebbia, Gallegos, and Martinez finish it out. Miller was terrible as he only faced two batters, giving up a single and a walk. But Brebbia shut the door in the 7th to save Miller.

3-1 Cardinals the final. Wainwright moves to 5-4 on the year. Carlos Martinez his 3rd save. Off to Seattle now for a three game series.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great action, Rat. Now that Yadi has finally tickled the cheap seats, look for him to go deep two more times in Seattle. I’m thinking Ponce gets the starting nod in game 1 of that series. I’m calling for St. Louis to come away with a 6-3 victory to open the Mariner series, with both Yadi and Tommy E. throttling long taters….both opposite field snelts.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sorry Pugs, but the Mariners won the first game of the series. 7-4 Seattle. DeJong and Bader hammered dingers for the Cardinals. Need to win the next two against one of the worst teams in baseball that year. Then off to Oracle Park for three games against a Giants team that also wasnt very good in 2019.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh we’ll clip Seattle in games 2 & 3, Rat. I think there’s little doubt about that. The only uncertainty will be the scores of those two affairs? I’m calling it 9-4 Cards in Game 2 with Yadi pasting 2 round trippers and then our boys coming right back in Game 3 with a 4-2 decision. Play ball Rat!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You got it right Pugs!

Cards win Game Two by the score of 8-1. And then take the Thursday afternoon affair 2-1.

Hudson went eight innings in Game Two, his longest outing of the year. Goldschmidt and DeJong homered in this one.

Then Flaherty went 7+ shutout innings before being relieved by Gallegos. It was 2-1 Cardinals heading to the last of the 9th and Martinez gave up a leadoff double to Crawford. But he got Santana, Vogelbach, and Narvaez to preserve the win. Goldschmidt his 16th dinger in this one.

49-36 now as we head to Oracle Park for a three game set with the Giants before the All Star Break.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have a bit of nervous anxiousness going on as we prepare to square off vs SF in this crucial 3 game series at Oracle Park. Is Mikolas dealing in Game 1, Rat?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yes, it’s Mikolas, Wainwright, and Wacha. The Giants have Pomeranz, Bumgarner, and Samardzija going.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

First pitch at 3pm(cst), Rat? Mikolas should totally handcuff this Giant offense today. I’m thinking he’ll go 7 1/3 innings strong, yielding 1 run on 5 hits, while whiffing 7 with one lone free pass. 6-2 Birds your beautiful final on this fine(unless you’re living on our eastern seaboard) Sunday afternoon. Play ball Rat!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sorry Pugs, ya goofed again. Unfortunately.

Giants take the opener in a pitchers duel by the score of 3-2. Pomeranz didn’t allow a hit until the 6th inning, a double by Carlson. Then a two out two run single by Jose Martinez that tied the game 2-2 chased Pomeranz.

Mikolas went six innings, allowed two runs, 8 hits, fanned 4, and walked nobody. Gant relieved to start the 7th and promptly gave up a sac fly to Longoria. Still 3-2 Giants heading to the 9th and Smith came on and retired Molina, DeJong, and Bader in order.

Giants win 3-2. The Saturday night game will see Wainwright and Bumgarner toe the rubber at Oracle Park.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards prevail in the Saturday night game by the score of 8-4. Neither Wainwright or Bumgarner had their best stuff. Giants got up early with three runs in the 2nd. Cards came back with three runs in the 3rd to tie the game. A three run homer by DeJong in the top of the 6th off of Dyson was the big blow. It was DeJong’s 18th dinger of the year.

Wainwright last 5.1 innings to get his 6th win of the year. Webb, Brebbia, and Miller closed it out. The Sunday game is the last game before the All Star Break. Wacha and Samardzija on the hill. Molina is about to go down for a month or so to an injury.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And the Cards take the Sunday afternoon matinee at Oracle Park by the score of 5-0. Bader his 12th dinger in this one. Cards jump on Samardzija for three runs in the 1st inning and are never headed. Wacha goes six innings, then Miller, Gallegos, and Martinez close the game out.

51-37 now at the All Star Break. Molina is out for five weeks now with the injury he had that year. Andrew Knizner will be called up and Matt Wieters will assume most of the catching duties.

The 2nd half starts with a three game set with Arizona at Busch. Robbie Ray and Jack Flaherty in the Friday night opener. Arenado was struggling the last several games so perhaps the break will do him some good.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The 2nd half gets underway. Arizona comes to town for a three game weekend series at Busch. Robbie Ray and Jack Flaherty kick off the 2nd half.

And it’s a pitchers duel indeed. Dbacks plate two runs in the 3rd on a triple by Marte and sac fly by Escobar. Arenado homers in the 4th, his 20th. And Matt Wieters slams his 4th of the year in the 5th to tie the game 2-2.

It stays 2-2 until the last of the 9th when Tommy Edman sends everybody home happy. He nails his 11th dinger of the year, a two run blast off of T.J. McFarland and the Cards walk it off 4-2.

Kelly and Hudson in the Saturday night affair coming up next.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The middle game of the three game set with Arizona. DBacks and Cards on Saturday night. And this one was a doozy.

We trailed 3-1 in the last of the 5th when Jose Martinez slams a pinch-hit three run dinger and we take the lead 4-3. But Arizona comes right back with four runs in the 6th off of Brebbia and Gant to take a 7-4 lead. The Redbirds rally and plate three runs in the last of the 8th to tie the game 7-7.

It stays 7-7 until the last of the 14th. With 1st base open and one out Tory Lovullo walks Edman to pitch to Carlson and Carlson makes him pay with the game winner! 8-7 Cardinals the final. Redbirds have now won six of their last seven and sit 53-37 on the year.

The Cards used the following pitchers in this game. In the top of the 11th Lamb led off with a triple against Carlos Martinez but after a strikeout, groundball to short, and a strikeout the DBacks failed to capitalize:

Hudson
    Helsley
    Brebbia
    Gant
    Webb
    Martinez
    Miller
    Ponce de Leon

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tremendous action Rat! Very nice to see Arenado get off the proverbial schneid with a tape measure blow in just his second at bat coming off the intermission. You were right, Rat ……the All Star break was just what the doctor ordered for getting Arenado back in the groove. The boys are now clicking on all cylinders. Who’s coming to town next, Rat? I’m thinking Pittsburgh should be poised for a Busch visit.

Finally, if I may…..and I think I speak for 97% of us here at The Cardinal Nation, we would be terribly remiss in not extending our heartfelt gratitude to both BicycleMike and the esteemed Rat, for shooing away the winter elements with this vicarious distraction. Keep the games and the fun coming, gentlemen!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Another thriller at Busch. Sunday afternoon vs the DBacks. Greinke and Mikolas. After both teams bullpens were shot from the 14 inning Saturday night game both managers indicated that their starters would need to go deep in this one. And they didn’t disappoint.

Cards plate a run in the 1st on an rbi single by Arenado. But Adam Jones goes deep in the 2nd to tie the score 1-1. In the meantime, Greinke is mowing down the Cardinal hitters. He has struck out 11 batters through the first five innings.

It’s still 1-1 going to the top of the 8th, Mikolas still on the hill. And Adam Jones slams his 2nd homerun of the contest to put Arizona up 2-1. In the last of the 8th Knizner leads off with a double but Carpenter strikes out and Edman pops to short. Then Carlson works some more magic and slams his 16th dinger of the year to put the Cards on top 3-2!

Gallegos, just about our only available reliever in this one, allows a leadoff walk to Ahmed but Vargas then grounds to Arenado for a around the horn DP. Then Jake Lamb pinch-hits and flies to O’Neill on the warning track in deep right.

3-2 Redbirds. Mikolas gets the win, he improves to 6-6 on the year. Gallegos notches his 3rd save. And Zack Greinke ends up going 7.2 innings, allows 3 runs, 5 hits, walks one, and fans 15 in a losing effort.

And yes Pugs, the Pirates come to Busch for a three game set. Musgrove and Wainwright in the Monday night opener.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.