Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Saw that about former Redbird Bill Virdon passing away. Frank Lane made one of those clunker deals he was so good at when he sent Virdon away as the center piece in a deal for Bobby del Greco.

Fortunately for the Cardinals, Bing Devine swung a deal a couple of years later for Curt Flood, who solidified the center field spot like Virdon had done in Pittsburgh.

If you are familiar with classic Sports Illustrated covers, beyond the swimsuit issues that is, one of those is a 1956 issue with some Cardinal outfielders in Spring Training all jumping up with their gloves raised in the air. Stan is one of the guys, as is Virdon. If I could copy-paste a photo on here I would, but maybe someone who is better at that could do it. Super cool cover.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great flash from the past with the Sports Illustrated cover gentlemen (BicycleMike & Euro Dandy). I could only identify two(Stan & Red) of the five from that cover.

Sweet game 3 of the Cards-cubs series, Rat. Nice to see Arenado get off the Wrigley schneid with a tape measure shot onto Waveland. Keep em coming!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

More bad news Pugs.

The Phillies and Bryce Harper come to Busch for a three game weeknight series. Philadephia takes the first two games. 6-2 and then 3-2 in 12 innings. We fall to 21-15 on the year after the blazing start out of the gate. Offense seems to have gone stagnant the last several games. Arenado is getting a day off for the final game of the Phillies series. Then the Pirates come to town for a four game series starting Thursday night. Maybe we can right the ship against Pittsburgh.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing like having the Pirates come to town for a 4 game set to cure all that ails a ball club, Rat. If we don’t take them 3-4 at the very least, it’s going to be a very long Strat-O-Season for our Birds. Maybe it’s time to insert Sosa at SS, Rat.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can’t insert Sosa at shortstop Pugs. He wasn’t with the 2019 Cardinals. It’s DeJong and Yairo Munoz.

Anyway, we salvaged the final game of the Philadelphia series even with Harper’s two homeruns. 7-4 Cards and Carlson, DeJong, and Bader went deep. Wainwright was able to go eight innings to save the bullpen a little bit. Gallegos got the save in the 9th since Hicks had went two innings the night before.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Red is in that photo, Pugs. You have Virdon on the left, and Wally Moon and Stan on the right. I think one of those other two might be Rip Repulski? It gives the names inside the magazine. Maybe later tonight when I am home I will check ‘em out.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Virdon, Elliot, Repulski, Moon, Musial

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, nothing but the Pirates coming to town to cure what’s ailing you. Uh huh, sure. A 5th inning grand slam by Josh Bell was the big blow off of Mikolas and the Pirates take Game One by the score of 6-3. We fall to 22-16 on the year. Molina is slumping, barely hitting over .200 on the year.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

LaMarr Hoyt…….Dead At Age 66.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good hurler for the Pale Hose back in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s as I recall. Seems like guys named Hoyt are always pitchers. There was Waite Hoyt, and Hoyt Wilhelm. And then the late Lamar Hoyt.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Old Sarge aka Hoyt Wilhelm, with quite the resume. Fought in WW11, where he was injured at the Battle of the Bulge. Hence, his ML career did not start until age 29. It ended just short of age 50. Hoyt won 124 games in relief, which is still a ML record……all with a wad of shrapnel lodged in his back, compliments of his participation in the aforementioned Battle of the Bulge. The knuckler was his go to pitch and it got him into the HoF. Rest in peace dear Old Sarge.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? Thanks for the jinx.

Pirates win their 2nd straight at Busch. Cards held a 2-1 lead heading to the 9th and Hicks is summoned for the save. He gives up a run on two walks and a single. Pirates then nail Miller for three runs in the 10th and end up winning 5-3. We fall to 22-17 on the year. Lyles and Ponce de Leon next up in the Saturday game.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sparky Lyles, Rat? These two demoralizing setbacks to the lowly Bucs…..in our own yard…are utter killers. In my book, this season is basically a wrap. No way we win the division now. We’ll get em next year Rat!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Some light-hearted stuff to balance out the CBA talk. In my ’60s franchise tournament, the first round of playoffs are complete. For those who have not followed along, I am using Action PCs “Franchise Best” 1960s set. I set up lineups, pitching rotations, bullpen roles etc and ran a full 162 game season. There are 10 teams per league – top two season winners get a bye through the first two playoff rounds. The other 8 are thrown into a “one-and-done” matchup. Second round is re-seeded with a best of three series.

The one and done rounds went this way:

National League

#3 Cubs vs #10 Mets – Cubs win over Seaver and Mets 5-1 behind complete game by former Redbird Larry Jackson. Santo homered and drove in 3.

#4 Pirates vs #9 Phillies – Fightin’s upset the Pirates 7-5 behind 13 hit attack, 3 each by Tony Taylor and Clay Dalrymple. Clemente also had 3 hits for the losers.

#5 Reds vs #8 – Best game of the opening round. Reds take 2-1 lead into the top of the ninth, but Jim Brosnan cannot hold on as Walt Bond doubles to lead off the inning. Bob Aspromonte sacrifices Bond to third. After an intentional walk to Doug “Red Rooster” Rader, the Reds play their infield halfway and get Carl Warwick to ground to second. Warwick beats the throw, scoring Bond with the tying run. Reds fail to score and we go to the 10th. Astros take lead as Aspromonte’s two out single plates Jimmy Wynn. Reds then summon Mel Queen out of the bullpen who gets Rader to end the inning.

Reds battle back in bottom half as Pete Rose’s two out single scores Deron Johnson with tying run. Neither team scores in the 11th. Rusty Staub homers in the 12th to again put Houston on top. Jim Umbricht in to save it for the Astros. Chico Ruiz leads off with a bunt single, but Eddie Kasko and Rose both fly out. Wally Post then unloads a dramatic two-run homer to walk it off, 5-4! The Reds did a lot of manueveriing in those one using 16 players and four pitchers. Both starters, Larry Dierker and Jim Maloney, pitched well but were long gone by the end.

#6 Braves vs #7 Giants – Giants overwhelm Braves 9-2 as Bobby Bonds had a game for the ages; 5 for 5, 4 RBI, a double and triple and stolen base. Future Hall of Famer here?

Next round is best 2 of 3, with teams reseeded. Winners will advance to play a best of five versus the two league winners, the Dodgers (1) and Cardinals (2). Next match-ups:

#3 Cubs vs #9 Phillies
    #5 Reds vs #7 Giants

Next post will be the AL. In a side note, I had a dream last night that Ken Boyer was elected to the Hall, and I was trying to make plans to get to Cooperstown for the ceremony. Will it come true? Oh, and speaking of Boyer, Action used his 1961 season for the Cardinals team, which he replicated quite well. A little low on OPS, .830 vs .930 in real, but he was facing consistently better pitching. He hit .305 with 22 homers and 95 RBI in 151 games (.329, 24, 95 in real).

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

American League

The Yankees and Twins finished in a tie for best record, but the Yankees get the #1 seed based on their 12-6 record against Minnesota in head-to-head battles.

First playoff round results:

#3 White Sox vs #10 Senators – In the biggest upset of the first round, Dick Bosman fired a 4-hit shutout as the Senators won in Comiskey. Ken McMullen homered and drove in two for the Nats.

#4 Tigers vs #9 Athletics – Detroit romped over the Kansas City/Oakland club 10-2. Rocky Colavito homered and drove in 3 while designated hitter Gates Brown had 3 hits; Al Kaline chipped in with a couple of doubles as well to back a strong six innings from starter Hank Aguirre.

#5 Red Sox vs #8 Indians – A slugfest in which Cleveland took an early 5-2 lead before Boston scored 3 in the fourth to tie it, and four more in the fifth to take control. Final score was 13-9 Boston. Both teams looked to be strong on the hill with ace Jim Lonborg facing Luis Tiant. But neither pitcher had their best stuff and struggled throwing strikes. Woodie Held homered twice and drove in four for the Tribe, while Frank Malzone went 4 for 5 with 4 RBI for the Beantowners.

#6 Orioles vs #7 Angels – Baltimore is my dark horse pick to stay in this thing awhile. They rolled to a fairly easy 7-2 win over Jim McGlothlin and the Angels. Steve Barber went five innings for the win, with Wes Stock and Moe Drabowsky each pitching two scoreless innings of relief to nail it down. The big blow was a pinch hit grand slam off the bat of Sam Bowens.

In the best of three round it will be:

#4 Tigers vs #10 Senators
    #5 Red Sox vs #6 Orioles

Lowest seeded winner will face the Yankees in the AL best of five semi-finals, and highest seeded winner will go up against the Twins. Winners of that round play a best of 7 for the AL flag.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Beautiful action, BicycleMike! With the news of Bosman’s electrifying 4 hit shutout, I could almost here the chorus of applause just down the way from me in Kenosha. Bravo!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, have you heard they signed a new blond bombshell? I guess Erica is a has been. I wonder if she needs a shoulder to cry on.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

bling,
    Nope, havent heard anything. You got the latest? What’s the scoop?

And I havent played any Strat games the last few days. Been busy with other things, mainly high school basketball.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At age 36, Alexa may be a bit old, Bling. I think 24-30 is right in Rat’s wheelhouse. And Rat needs to lay off the high school hoops and get us bored souls some Strat-O-Action. Play ball Rat!

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I think the bigger question here is: Does Rat need to be fired at this point?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Rat doesn’t start taking these games seriously pretty soon, we may have to send him and that pooch of his right on down the trail, ZTR. Hopefully, BicycleMike is warming on up out in the bullpen ready and raring to go.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Here ya go Pugs. And this time good news to report!

Redbirds trailed Lyles and the Bucs 1-0 in the last of the 5th. Bases loaded nobody out. But Bader pops to 2nd, Carpenter pinch-hits for Ponce de Leon and strikes out. So Edman hit’s a slow roller up the 3rd base line that Lyles throws away and two runs scored. Carlson follows with a single and that makes it 3-1 Redbirds. Goldschmidt triples to lead off the last of the 8th off of Crick and DeJong brought him home with a sac fly.

PDL went the first five. Then Brebbia, Webb, Gallegos, and Hicks all fired blanks and the Cards finally prevail 4-1. 23-17 on the year now and the Sunday matinee will see Brault against Flaherty.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

More bad news out of Busch. Pirates down the Cards 4-2 and take three of four in the weekend series. Offense isn’t doing much at the moment. Flaherty went the first seven and allowed two runs on a two run homer in the 6th to Brian Reynolds. Marte then homers off of Miller in the 8th for a 3-0 Pirate lead. Gant allowed a run on a sac fly by Newmann in the 9th. Cards had a chance in the last of the 9th, had the tying run at the plate but Munoz grounded out to Vazquez to end it.

Redbirds now stand 23-18 on the year and head to Atlanta for a three game set at Truist Park.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 217 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years