Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Playing some 2019 Cardinals in Strat-O-Matic and the Reds were in town for the Sunday afternoon game on April 28, 2019. And O’Neill struck out not once, not twice, not three times, not four times – but five times! He struck out FIVE TIMES in one game!

We lost to the Reds 8-5. Wainwright suffered the loss. Gray the win for the Reds, going 6.1 innings.

r/|Esteemed Rat

(title changed by moderator)

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geesh Rat, don’t scare us. From your title, I thought Tyler slugged you on the snout or something at some card signing event. In all of my years of rooting for this team, I can’t recall any Cardinal end up being a jail-Bird. We sure came close with Marcell Ozuna though….thank God we didn’t extend him.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This thread won’t have much activity. At least not from me. I am not going to report on the rest of the 2019 season like I did with 2004 and 1978 – all years ago.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s too bad. It would be the best game it town until the lockout ends.

Bob Cobb
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I play Out of the Park baseball when I get time. Computer games pass the time well in the absence of the real thing. I would read your posts on your gameplay.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bling and Mr. Cobb are spot on with their thoughts, Rat. Following your Strat-O-Matic action really takes the bite out of the winter chill and boredom. Play ball Rat…..play ball.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I assume Rat’s game recaps would include Erica Weston sightings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, we will see how this goes. Might drop a post or two. This is a modified 2019 Replay. Dylan Carlson has replaced Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado came over a little early. I will tell you that Carlson got off to an extremely hot, some might say historic, start to the season. And Jose Martinez hit two grand slams in the first week.

And yes, Erica Weston can interview me any time..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And Jose Martinez hit two grand slams in the first week.

That’s nothing compared to what Fernando Tatis Sr. can do, Rat. My only request,Rat, is for you to have Erica Weston professionally attired for your Strat-O-Matic action……do NOT let your imagination run amuck. Looking forward very much to your Strat-O action!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have a couple of projects going in Action PC. One is my 1964 “what if” scenario. For that one I said it is off season 1962, and the Cardinals are negotiating with Stan the Man on finishing his career.

They decided to give him a two-year contract for $250,000. Because Stan has slowed down a lot, the Cardinals swing a trade with the Phillies and deal firstbaseman Bill White for what looks to be a washed up Robin Roberts, and cash considerations. They also nix a deal that was on the table with the White Sox to bring inMinnie Minoso for Joe Cunningham, as they feel they need Cunningham to back up Stan at first.

Flash forward to 1964. Since Stan did not play in the actual 1964 season, I created his “card” by averaging his 1962 and 1963 seasons.

Also I use actual trade dates, so Lou Brock won’t be a Cardinal until mid-June. I am only about 20 games into this season and the Cardinals are off to a pretty good start, and Stan is hitting well early on.

The other project is taking Action’s “Franchise Best” 1960s decade, running a full season on auto pilot, then playing a tournament seeding the teams as they finish the auto-pilot run. I have been running some test seasons in it and tweaking the rosters and schedule – mostly looking at player usage and getting it the way I like it. Once it looks good I will run the “official” season and set up the tournament.

With 10 teams in each league, the tournament pairings will be this way:

1st and 2nd place get a first round bye.

First round is single elimination with 3 vs 10, 4 vs 9, 5 vs 8, and 6 vs 7. Winners then are reseeded and play a best of 3 to get to two teams still standing.

Those winners advance, with lowest seeded winner in a best of five versus the first place team, and the higher seeded winner in a best of 5 versus 2nd place team.

League finals are best of 7.

World Series is best of 7.

Higher seed always gets home field advantage.

In my test runs, the Cardinals always finish high, usually second, sometimes third. Dodgers look good, as does Pittsburgh. In the AL the Orioles are good, and Yankees of course. The White Sox won one of the test runs, but have finished .500 in others so who knows. The Twins are pretty good too. The usual suspects are regularly down in the standings – Cubs, Senators, Athletics, Mets.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t played Strat-O-Matic in years. From 1979-87 I played 140 game seasons with full stats every year. I didn’t include the entire league but I did play the entire NL East and mixed in a few NL West teams too. It was a blast. Have fun Rat.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I ran another test run in this 1960s franchise tourney this morning, and still want to tweak the roster usage a little more before running the official schedule.

Get this though – the Cubs, who usually finish in the second division, put it together in this one and went 99-63. Their big 3 of Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ernie Banks all had great seasons, with OPS’ of .977, .872, and .861 respectively. They all drove in over 100 as well.

And to really make it interesting, the Cardinals finished a half game behind them at 98-63. I am using the 1965 season schedule and apparently there was a game between the Cards and Phillies that was not played. I will add that in before doing the official run though.

Where the Cubs made their mark was going 17-1 against the lowly Mets, who finished 47-115. The Mets won at least 4 against every other team except Chicago, with the Cardinals posting a 13-5 mark against them.

I doubt the Cubs can sustain that pace in the official run, as this was an anomaly for them based on the auto-pilot versions that I have run before. Fergie Jenkins went 19-14 in this one, but gave up his usual high number of home runs, 43.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Ok, so, since some seem interested I thought I would report on this game. It was a classic. Cards at Washington. Mikolas and Corbin. Mikolas lasted six innings, Corbin was removed in the 6th when the Cards got to him.

Anyway, Gallegos on the mound in the last of the 8th. Score tied 4-4, two outs, and our old buddy Matt Adams at bat. Adams slams a homerun to put Washington up 5-4. Thanks alot Bubba, Big City, whatever. So Martinez brings in their closer Sean Doolittle for the 9th. Here’s how it played out:

Bader strikes out
    Wieters singles – Flaherty pinch runs
    Edman singles, Flaherty to 3rd
    Carlson singles to rf, tie game 5-5. Edman safe on a close play at 3rd and Carlson takes 2nd.
    Nationals intentionally walk Arenado to load the bases.
    Goldschmidt walks, forcing in Edman. 6-5 St. Louis.
    Jose Martinez hits a sac fly to Soto in LF to score Carlson. 7-5 St. Louis.
    Molina rips a single to cf and that loads the bases. Out comes Doolittle, in comes Suera.
    DeJong walks, forcing in Arenado. 8-5 Cards.
    Bader flies to LF.

Hicks comes on for the 9th. He walks two batters and an rbi single by Soto and sac fly by Kendrick make it an 8-7 game. But this time our old buddy Matt Adams strikes out to end it.

8-7 St. Louis the final. Gallegos gets the win in spite of allowing the Adams homer. Doolittle takes the loss. Hicks his 9th save. Cards now 18-10 on the year.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great 9th inning, Rat! Thank God that Doolittle did little for the Nats and we were able to come all of the way back in getting the win. When Goldy coaxed the walk with the bases juiced to give us the well deserved advantage, I raised my left arm towards the heavens and shouted “Sweet”! Your action sure takes a bit of the “ill” out of our late November “chill”. Keep them coming Rat. BicycleMike sure has some intriguing action brewing as well, up there in the Mile High City.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no joy in Natsville, The Sultan of Slippery Rock has struck out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no joy in Natsville, The Sultan of Slippery Rock has struck out.

Haha. Love it! My sister went to “Slimy Pebble.” Big City came through a year after she graduated though. I always hoped that Matt would hit more like he did in the minors for us.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Cool stuff Rat! Even that ‘goofball” Jose Martinez got a key RBI. I am surprised he stayed on your roster. 🙂

In this ’60s Franchise (best players of the decade for each team) tournament, I finally got things set up and ran the official season to set the seeding for the tournament. Our Cardinals had a two game lead in the NL as of September 15th, facing a three game set against the team that trailed them, the Dodgers.

Unfortunately the Dodgers swept the Cardinals. The first game was a 2-1 nail-biter as Koufax got win number 20. It was tied at 1 going into the ninth, when Ron Fairly singled home Sweet Lou Johnson with two out against reliever Ron Willis, for the 2-1 lead.

In the bottom half, with two out none on, Lou Brock singled off Larry Sherry, trying to close it out for LA . But the game ended when Brock was caught stealing. Crime never pays. 🙂

The Dodgers won the next two, plus took 2 of 3 against the Cards a week later in LA. They went 11-5 in their last 16 while the Cards could only manage 8-8. So it will be the Dodgers as the top seed and Cardinals as the number 2 seed, both clubs getting the bye.

In the AL, the Yankees and Twins tied for the pennant. The Yankees get the top seed though as they won 12 of the 18 meetings between the two clubs during the year, which is the first tie breaker.

Now the other 8 teams in each league enter the playoff round to see who will face the top seeds. All tournament games will be managed by me, rather than auto-simmed.

A couple of stats to throw out there – Mantle and Frank Howard tied for the AL home run leadership at 54. Koufax won the NL ERA crown with a 2.18, to go with a 23-7 record. Gibson was 22-8 and 2.44. Pitching carried the Cardinals as they lead the league in team ERA. Carlton won 19 and Curt Simmons 18.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yeah, BikeMike, I left the goofball Jose Martinez on the team. He got the nod over Dexter Fowler. And since Wong bolted for Milwaukee he got axed as well.

Nice stats on the replay. I think people forget just how good Koufax was in the mid 1960s. Unbelievable what he accomplished.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

By the way, in the 3rd game of the four game set at Washington it’s tied 2-2 in the 9th. With one out Matt Wieters slams a pinch-hit three run homer to put the Cards up 5-2. Hicks retires the side in order in the 9th and we go for the sweep in the next game – just as in real life!

Gallegos got the win, Hicks the save, his 10th. Ross the loser for the Nats. I think I will give Molina the Thursday game off and start Wieters. And might also give Goldschmidt the day off and start Carpenter at 1st.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You pulled a TLR, Rat. There goes our sweep right out the window……. compliments of your wholesale lineup changes. As our Strat-O-Skipper, learn to go in for the kill.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Doug Jones…….Dead At The Tender Age of 64. Another COVID casualty.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

You were right Pugs. We lost the final game just as in real life. Nats 3 Cards 1. A two run homer in the last of the 8th by Victor Robles was the difference. And once again it came against Gallegos. We had a chance in the 9th against Doolittle but Wieters struck out with two on and two out.

Off to Wrigley for a three game weekend set.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s ok, we’ll get em good in Wrigley, Rat.

Bill Virdon……….Dead At Age 90

RoY in 1956 for St. Louis.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well Pugs, sorry to have to report we have lost the first two at the Friendly Confines. Cubs took the opener 5-4 and then the Saturday afternoon matinee as well. 6-0 Cubs the final on Saturday. Schwarber homered twice and Bryant added a solo shot.

The Sunday evening ESPN game will see Hudson and Quintana hook up. Not getting much out of O’Neill and DeJong so far. Jose Martinez and Yairo Munoz get the start vs the lefty Quintana.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Good news from Wrigley Field. Redbirds prevail in the Sunday Night ESPN affair by the score of 3-1. Hudson goes six and Brebbia, Gallegos, and Hicks are good enough. Hicks gave up a single and a walk in the last of the 9th but managed to get Schwarber to foulout to Molina to end it. Arenado his 9th dinger of the year. Hudson improved to 4-0 on the year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 217 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.