Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Rats’ Stratomatic thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brutal Busch beating by Brault and the Buc bats. I don’t know how a team comes back from this kind of a beat-down? It’s not just losing 3-4 in our home yard vs the perennial divisional cellar dweller, but it’s the fashion in which they royally spanked us. The playoffs are now lost. How about getting some playing time directed towards a few of our young Birds, Rat?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Redbirds win a thriller at Truist Park in Atlanta on the Tuesday night opener. Josh Donaldson’s two out solo homerun in the last of the 8th off of Brebbia ties the game 3-3. Then Paul DeJong nails his 10th dinger of the year and 2nd of the game in the top of the 9th off of Toussaint to give the Cards a 4-3 lead heading to the last of the 9th. Hicks retires Albies and Flowers on strikes and then Inciarte bounces to Goldschmidt at 1st for the final out.

4-3 St. Louis the final. Brebbia the win in relief, Hicks his 13th save in 14 chances. Cards are 24-18 on the year.

Bring on the snow later tonight…….

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

More good news to report from Atlanta. Cards down the Braves 3-0 in the middle game on Wednesday night at Truist Park. Hudson and Soroka squared off and Hudson got the win. He went six innings, no runs, 3 hits, 3 strikeouts, and 2 walks. Gallegos, Webb, and Hicks finished up. Hicks his 14th save. Paul DeJong another dinger for the Cardinals, his 11th on the year. Arenado just missed going yard twice, flying out to deep left in the 4th and then to Acuna in deep center in the 9th.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great action, Rat. When Paulie sent home run #11 sailing towards the upper reaches of the Truist left field rafters, I leapt off the couch with right arm extended to twelve o’clock and yelled “We don’t need a new shortstop…… we’ve got our man”! However, I still think our heroic efforts at Truist Park will not be able to trump the ill effects of our recent beat-down at home to the pitiful Pirates. Second place ain’t bad though, so keep the action coming, Rat.

*We could also use a good dose of some mile high action, compliments of BicycleMike.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tyler Webb nailed down the 8th inning Rat? That would have been a maalox moment for me.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Actually Webb was pretty good in 2019. Check his stats. I believe he was in there primarily due to Freddie Freeman being due up.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Braves salvage the final game and avoid the sweep. 3-1 Atlanta the final. Teheran gets the win and Jackson the save. A three run homer by Austin Riley in the 2nd off of Ponce de Leon was the big blow. Cards plate their only run on an rbi groundout to Swanson by Jose Martinez. 25-19 now.

Off to Arlington – not the cemetery – for a three game weekend set with the Rangers.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the shout-out, Pugs. I have been busy the last week or so and have not gotten many games in. But I am into the league quarter-finals, best 2 of 3 series. Hope to have some news sometime over the weekend.

Once we get these games in, we will finally get to series’, hopefully more than one, featuring the venerable and beloved St. Louis Cardinals. Those games will be featured in some detail.

By the way, is Rats sure he did not play that Atlanta series in Fulton County Stadium? Seems weird him saying “Truist Park”.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Redbirds win the opener in Texas by the score of 9-1. Carpenter a solo shot and Arenado a three run dinger in the 5th, his 10th of the year. Flaherty goes six innings for his 4th win of the year. Gallo a solo shot for the Rangers only run.

26-19 on the year. Mikolas and Jurado in the Saturday night affair coming up.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rat, do you play card & dice or computer?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards and dice. Do NOT trust the computer to be completely random. Have a dice tower with a big StL on it to roll the dice in.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet action Rat! Refreshing to see our Cards lambaste Texas in the series opener. When Arenado launched his 3 run blow to the upper reaches of the pavilion in dead left, I could barely contain my emotions….. actually woke the wifey up. Looking forward to BicycleMike’s quarter-final action too. While reading Rat’s & BicycleMike’s game recaps, I swear you can smell two distinct things…..the odor emanating from a brand spanking new baseball glove and the smell of freshly cut summer grass. Get us through this winter, gentlemen.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Redbirds take the Saturday evening affair at Arlington from the Rangers by the score of 5-2. A four run 5th inning was the key. Two run homers by the Paul boys, Goldschmidt and DeJong, accounted for all the runs in the 5th. Mikolas pitches into the 7th and Miller and Hicks close it out. The 15th save in 16 chances for Hicks so far.

27-19 on the year now and the Sunday afternoon getaway day will see Wainwright and Smyly on the hill. And as a side note, Carlos Martinez was activated in the Friday game and Ryan Helsey was optioned back to Memphis.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And as a side note, Carlos Martinez was activated

With Rat’s anti-CMart inclinations, it’s a mystery why Rat hasn’t already packaged Carlos in some sort of a blockbuster Strat-O-Matic 3 team 8 player trade? Nice seeing Goldy getting off the proverbial schneid with a laser shot into the Arlington center field cheap seats. Complete the sweep on Sunday and our boys can start entertaining wild card aspirations once again. But Smyly promises to be one tough hombre in this one. I’m calling it 5-2 Texas. Go Birds!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am surprised as well on the “Mart” boys staying on Rats ball club. I am thinking he will package them in a trade deadline deal.

I hear you on the computer thing, Rat. Not sure on the randomizing although I would think the computer would be more random than manual. However, my tourney hit a snag as the Action playoff system has messed up the second round, showing the Tigers facing both Boston and Baltimore. It should be Detroit-Washington and Baltimore-Boston. Fear not though, I can put together a workaround. Just one more delay though. Definitely by the holidays I will have games rolling in though.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Please put your “A-team” on rectifying your NAPS (Non-Action Playoff System), BicycleMike. The natives here are getting more than restless and are starved for some playoff action. Rat needs to step up his play as well.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

High school basketball games, going to the Amish restaurant (the Gasthof), my insomnia that keeps me awake till 6:00 a.m and therefore not out of bed until noon, and various other issues have been keeping me from managing the Cardinals as much as I would like.

I am hoping to get back to action tomorrow after I return from the Gasthof.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards complete the sweep of the Rangers in Arlington with a 7-5 win. Tyler Webb gets the win in relief and Hicks notches his 16th save.

Redbirds jump on Smyly with three runs in the 1st on a 3-run dinger by Goldschmidt. But the Rangers plate four runs in their half of the 3rd on a grand slam by Asdrubel Cabrera off of Wainwright. After a sac fly in the 7th by Goldschmidt ties the game 5-5 the Cards plate two runs in the 9th for a 7-5 lead. A two run single by Harrison Bader was the big blow of the inning. Hicks gets Pence, Gallo, and Cabrera 1-2-3 in the last of the 9th to close it out.

28-19 on the year now and it’s time to head home to face Kansas City. After an off day on Monday and a rainout on Tuesday there will be a day/night DH on Wednesday at Busch.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The worst finally happened. Something I dreaded finally reared it’s ugly head. Hicks can’t find the strike zone.

Royals and Cards tied 3-3 in the last of the 7th. Dozier’s three run homer in the 4th off of Dakota Hudson plated all three of the KC runs. So, with two outs in the St. Louis 7th Edman singles and then scampers home on a double by Carlson. 4-3 Cards heading to the KC 8th.

With two outs and having just had two days off due to the open date on Monday and the rainout on Tuesday I bring Hicks on for the 4 out save. He retires Dozier on a flyball to RF and the Cards maintain the 4-3 lead heading to the 9th. But the wheels comes off for Hicks. He ultimately walks four batters, allowed a sac fly by Merrifield to tie the game, and after a walk to Lopez loads the bases it is Gallegos that is summoned. He allows a single to Mondesi and the Royals take a 6-4 lead. Ian Kennedy retires Bader, Molina, and Edman in order in the 9th for the save.

Cards now 28-20 and the night game of the DH will see Bailey and Wacha on the hill.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cardinal bullpen just about does it again. Wacha went six plus innings and the Redbirds led 4-2 after six. Gant was called on for the remainder of the 7th and in the 8th, still leading 4-2, he allows two walks and a single to make it 4-3. Gallegos comes on and allows the tying run to score on a groundout to Goldschmidt. 4-4 now and we finally headed to extra innings.

The Royals save leader, Kennedy, came on for the 11th with the score still tied 4-4. He is greeted with singles by DeJong and Bader, with DeJong hustling into 3rdbase. Edman, who had entered in a double-switch, was then walked to load the bases. The only position player St. Louis had left was backup catcher Matt Wieters and he probably lined a single to LF to win it for the Cards.

On a side note Royals pitcher Scott Barlow and manager Ned Yost were ejected in the 8th inning after Paul Goldschmidt was hit by a pitch. Both benches had been warned earlier in the game

5-4 St. Louis the final in 11 innings. Cards now 29-20 and the Braves come to town for a three game weekend series at Busch. Foltynewicz and Flaherty in the Friday night opener after the off day on Thursday.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Atlanta is in town and the Friday night game sees Foltynewicz and Flaherty. Braves go quiety in the top of the 1st but the Cardinals make some noise. The big noise was a grand slam off the bat of Tyler O’Neill to put the Redbirds up 4-0.

Flaherty is dealing on this night and the only run the Braves can muster off of him is a 7th inning homerun by Freddie Freeman. Brebbia finishes the last two innings in this one.

5-1 Cards the final. Flaherty improves to 5-3 on the year. Cards now sit 30-20. Soroka and Mikolas in the Saturday night affair at Busch.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great blow by blow accounts of the action……except for not egging on and antagonizing the budding fisticuffs vs K.C. That could have been epic stuff, Rat. Anyway, refreshing to see our boys starting to hit on all cylinders. Boy, when Tyler O. sent that 0-2 Foltynewicz hanging curve sailing high up into the left field rafters with the bases totally teeming with Redbirds, it was Christmas come 10 days early in the Pugs’ household. Now let’s go the distance and complete this sweep vs the defending WS champion Braves and send them back to the great State of Georgia not knowing what hit them. One more very important thing, Rat…..and I think I speak for many of our esteemed posters here…….you have totally neglected to give us your usual in depth recap in regards to your weekly Wednesday experience at the Gasthof in beautiful French Lick, Indiana.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs,
    The Gasthof is NOT in French Lick. It’s in Montgomery, 7 miles down the road from me. And the sad part is the hot little blonde that was the manager at the Gasthof is no longer there. She is now a Teller at one of the local banks.

And just to clarify, this is the 2019 season. I sort of “tweaked” the Cards team with Carlson and Arenado.

High school basketball the next two nights, won’t see any more action until probably Sunday sometime.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cleveland Indian minor league catcher Andres Melendez……Dead at the tender age of 20.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Alright fans, I got my 1960s Franchise Best post season back on track. To refresh your memory, the leagues played an entire 162 game season, using the actual 1965 schedule. That set the post season seedings with all 10 teams in each league qualifying. Top two teams get byes over the first two rounds.

First post season round is a 1-and-Done with 3rd place playing 10th place, 4th playing 9th etc. Second round, the quarter finals, are best of three, with the teams reseeded so the lowest seed is always playing the remaining highest seed. Semi’s will pit the two quarter final winners versus the first and second place finishers in a best of five. League finals and World Series are best of seven. We are in the quarter finals and here is where we are at.

#10 Senators vs #4 Tigers – Series tied at 1

The Nats upset the #3 White Sox in the opening round, and won the first game against Detroit 8-7, as Chuck Hinton provided three hits including a home run, and Ken McMullen and Mike Epstein also pitched in with long balls. Joe Coleman bested Frank Lary in this one.

With the series moving to Washington, the Nats had a chance to end it and almost did. Game two was even at 3 after 9 innings, and still the same score after 10. In the top of the 11th Willie Horton singled with one out, and Bill Freehan drove a Ron Kline pitch off the wall in left center to plate Horton. Fred Gladding retired the Senators in order in the bottom half, pitching 3 2/3 innings of relief to earn the win.

#5 Red Sox vs #6 Orioles – Orioles sweep 2-0

The Orioles are my “pick to click” in the AL, finishing in 6th place but a team with solid pitching and defense, and a decent offense. They looked good in this series, winning both games to advance to the semi’s. In the opener, Milt Pappas carried a 3 hit shutout into the 9th with Baltimore on top in Fenway 4-0. Brooks Robinson and Jim Gentile had homered to help build the lead. Pappas tired in the 9th, surrendered a hit to Eddie Bressoud and a two-run bomb to Carl Yastrzemski, before Stu Miller was summoned to get the final two outs and the save.

Game two moved to Baltimore and the Orioles had a relatively easy time of it. Announcer Chuck Thompson enjoyed calling this 6-2 victory as the O’s put on an 11 hit attack, and Dave McNally threw a 3 hitter. Boog Powell and Davey Johnson homered in the contest.

#5 Reds vs #7 Giants – Series at 1

This one has featured games in which each team looked good. The Giants won 6-2 in the opener at Cincinnati, and the Reds came back in The City and bested the Giants 5-3. Gaylord Perry topped Bob Purkey in the Queen City, while Joey Jay won over Jack Sanford in west coast game. Willie Mays and Willie McCovey combined for 5 hits, 2 home runs and 4 RBI in the first contest. Vada Pinson had 3 hits in the second game, and Lee May 2 including a homer and 3 RBI. Pinson also had three hits in game one and is 6 for 9 in the series.

#3 Cubs vs #9 Phillies – Series tied at 1

The Phillies upset #4 Pittsburgh in the opening round with an offensive barrage of 16 hits, and promptly took an early 4-0 in Wrigley in the first game of this series. With Jim Bunning on the hill things looked good. But the Cubs came storming back lead by Mr Cub himself, Ernie Banks. Bingo was a single shy of the cycle, hitting a double, triple and home run and driving in 4 to pace the 9-5 win.

The Phillies shook it off at home behind a solid start from Chris Short. The 7-5 victory was sealed in the 7th inning when Johnny “Breek” Briggs was summoned off the bench with 2 on, 2 out and Ted Abernathy on the mound. Briggs drilled a 2-1 offspeed pitch over the left field wall at Connie Mack Stadium to put the Fightn’s up 7-3. A George Altman two-run shot in the top of the ninth made it closer, but that was all the Cubs could get.

One series in the books, with the Orioles to face either the Twins or Yankees, depending on how the Detroit-Washington game goes. Both National League series will be settled in game 3s. The winners will face the Dodgers and Cardinals.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.