Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

This topic contains 2,871 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

msp: I guess reading the comments and suggestions here had me in a tizzy. Seriously…. I thought there may have been some movement concerning Lynn and/or OH. I know the drill when it comes to the F.O. making “splash” trades. So I did listen to you, somewhat. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It will be interesting to see if Verlander is traded.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Teams like the Astros, Cubs, Yankees, and Dodgers might try to do something for Verlander.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One thing we might consider this winter is to do an exchange of bad contracts such as sending Fowler to the Giants for Brandon Belt. The money is similar. We might have to throw in another player since Belt is younger but I would consider it. Belt will be cheaper than Hosmer and it would allow us to move Carp back to 2B, 3B, or be traded.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not against the concept of your thought, but unless they trade Carpenter, acquiring another first baseman is not a good idea. They don’t want to move Carpenter back to second or third.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Carp is a defensive liability but the extra offensive output might be worth it.

My offseason goals:
    1. New 1B: Trade for Belt or sign Hosmer
    2. New 3B: Trade for Donaldson or Longoria
    3. Re-sign Lance Lynn. I have flip flopped on this issue but I now lean to bringing him back.
    4. Bolster bullpen by adding Alex Reyes

To do the trades I mentioned we should be willing to trade some or all of the following:
    Piscotty, Gyroko, Wong, Voit, Weaver, Flaherty, etc….

2B Carp
    CF Pham
    LF Fowler
    3B Donaldson
    1B Belt
    C Molina
    SS Dejong
    RF Grichuk
    P

Bench of Kelly, Diaz, Sierra, and O’Neil

Rotation of : CMart, Lynn, Leake, Waino, and Wacha
    Whoever we don’t trade will be waiting in Memphis: Alacantara, Hudson, etc…

Bullpen of : Rosenthal, Reyes, Lyons, Siegrist, Cecil, Bowman, Tui

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

gs…. although I disagree with about 40% of what you are proposing, I still like to hear what the knowledgeable folks have to say about next season’s team makeup. What the F.O. will do over the winter (who knows at this point and we’re usually wrong with trying to speculate) and what happens at Jupiter ultimately will determine who we will actually be running out on the field in ’18 (historically there is a surprise or two.)

Just wondering… are you done with the ’17 club? It sounds like you are getting the wood ready for the hot stove.

Side note: thank you for not making any managerial suggestions.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t say that I’m completely done with the ’17 club since we are only 3.5 games out, but this team has really given us no indication it is capable of playing better than .500. Jack Buck used to always say you need to get to .500 before you think about anything else, although that was before the multiple wild card system.

Unless we make a surprise waiver trade in August I’m more focused on 2018. We need a big bat or two, tighten up the bullpen, and re-sign Lynn.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard someone on the radio today propose a trade of sending Grichuk to the Mets for Jay Bruce since Bruce has apparently cleared waivers.

I wouldn’t mind plugging Bruce into the cleanup spot for the next seven weeks to see what he could do but surely the cost would be cheaper than Grichuk, who still has three years of team control remaining.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i agree…. Grichuk is a way overpay for a 1.5 month rental…

i say look at the guys barely hanging on the 40man or guys we might not protect in rule 5 and offer one of them

Drake maybe? I don’t see him finding a way into our OF rotation any time soon…maybe Anthony Garcia (not on 40) maybe MArtini…but even Martini seems a stretch…though i don’t see how we protect him without a lot of others leaving in trades

maybe we offer Gilmartin back 🙂

Bruce fits what we need…not at a huge price….and again pick from uys who we might lose anyways and what are we really losing other than a few bucks

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve waffled over and over about Hosmer…i do like him, but i’d think as the announcers said last night on the broadcast…i think they let all the other vets go from KC so they can keep one…Hosmer…

but given the shot at him I think i’d go in on him…. he is kind of like joey Votto lite

still…he causes issues with what to do with Carp and Voit…

It’s tough…any move basically shows our hand on what we will have to do which lessens our position in trades or even FA

sign Hosmer… Wong is on the move
    trade Carp…a 1bman is in the works…
    trade wong…1b or 2b is up for grabs
    trade for Donaldson…gYorko is available or Wong…
    etc etc..

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Hosmer but I suspect he will be bid out of our price range. The Yankees and Red Sox may be in the market for a 1B and there is no telling how high the bidding could go. Trading for Belt or Myers would be a little cheaper.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Garcia for Bruce – what is the hold up.

Martini for Bruce – go for it.

Drake for Bruce – why not?

Grichuck for Bruce – would have done it 2_weeks ago for sure. Time is getting short to make it worthwhile.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC, I think I would pull the string on Grichuk for Bruce. I think Bruce provides enough to solidify the middle of the lineup. With our pitching, I think we could make a run at the Cubs and a strong run into the playoffs. I am convinced that Grichuk will never have the plate discipline to be a quality middle of the order hitter. Since coming back from his minors stint, Grichuk is striking out in 1/3 of his plate appearances.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

If the Cards trade Grichuk for Bruce I may need to fly to St Louis to find out what kind of nitwits are running this team. I would be calm at first…. “Speak softly and carry a big stick.” TR.

bccran
    Participant

If this team gets hot and makes the playoffs, I wonder if any significant moves will be made over the Winter. What happens if the existing players get it turned around and start playing to their career numbers?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there will be moves in the offseason regardless of our finish. We have around 10 outfielders who could be competing for playing time next year. Someone has to go.

Our infield still has question marks. Does Carp really have a position? Is Wong still the long term answer? Is Dejong our answer at SS or is he Diaz 2.0? Is Gyroko really an everyday player or is he better suited as a super utility guy?

Girsch admitted that we have several pieces of the puzzle that don’t fit so I expect some changes. BTW, I have noticed that Girsch appears to be more candid in his comments than MO. I appreciate that candor. It is refreshing.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a good question BCC…

i think if we make the playoffs it will be a nailbiter…and if we bow out easily in the first series i think nothing changes…

however if we make it to the NLCS or even WS….i could see minor things being done as a real possibility…

though looking at how much we will need to do to protect good players on the 40man…and the glut of OFers and SPs…i’d have to think some kind of trade is almost required this offseason, even if just to clear up some spots

I am thinking we can move:
    an OF or two or maybe even three
    and SP or two
    a couple other P
    probably a MI or two

we need to fill 3 spots currently on the 25man for next season:
    Lynn
    Oh
    Duke

Reyes gets one of them (probably as Oh replacement)
    Weaver and Flaherty battle it out for Lynn’s spot
    Tuivalala probably gets the Duke spot (as he would be gone if he doesnt make the25man)

that would leave us with 2 freed up 40man spots (though there are a few others that could be freed up)

Garcia, Diaz, maybe Wong, Mejia, Sosa, Seferina, Alvarez are all fair game for a trade…
    Piscotty, Grichuk, Pham, Bader, Sierra, JMart, several other lower level guys are all fair game
    basically all the young SPs and Ps outside Reyes and one of Flaherty/Weaver

I don’t really see how we can be a player for anything in the FA market without making a few trades…and if we re-sign Lynn it only makes the dealing harder

Basically…keeping even THIS team (even if it wins the WS) will be difficult without some offseason movement, if for nothign other than 40man roster management

Longwinded…blah blah blah

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am undecided on which way for the Cards to go this offseason-Free agency or trades.Free agency only cost money while trades cost players and/or prospects.Looking at some possible trade targets
    Brian Dozuer -Twins contract only thru 2018-Possibly Twins best player -trade doubtful.2018 salary 9 million.
    Brandon Bet 1B-LF SF 29 yrs old-due 16 million each season in 2018-2021-LH bat with pop.Younger than Carpenter.Less OBP.Kind of a push with Carpenter.Carpenter would have to go to make this happen IMHO.
    Wil Myers 1B SD 2018 salary 2 million 2019 salary 3 million 2020-2022 20 million each season 2023 option 3 million buyout-SD best hitter.Padres would need to get big return with prospects and /or players.Sd needs help pretty much everywhere so this might be a option.

Freddie Freeman 1B-3B ATL-solid hitter 2018-2019 salaries 21 million 2020-21 salaries 22 million.

Free agents
    Jay Bruce RF -power LH bat could cost 12-16 million a year .he is 31 years old .
    JD Martinez Of 31 yrs old Rh power bat probably cost same as Bruce .
    Todd Frazier 3B-1B 32-RH power bat having a bit of a down year.Adequate at 3B.Might be had a little cheaper because of down year so far?
    Whichever way Cards go it should be obvious a big bat is needed.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me i am looking at only big impact guys…otherwise we are right back where we areat now…

Stanton
    Freeman
    Donaldson
    Myers
    Ozuna
    Yelich
    (though im not totally sold on Yelich and Ozuna being exactly what we need)

That’s about all i am interested in…that probably sets me up for disappointment…but when looking at the team…the big middle order bat is really what we are missing…something scary and consistent in the lineup…

it wont be cheap but it really is obvious that we need it filled

JD MArtinez coudl be a big middle order scary bat…but his defense crazy at it seems is falling off the mountain…i dont really know why…some say injury some say he was never good to begin with…but signing him long term as an NL OF seems a poor decision for us

Hosmer could be the real deal and worth the FA money…i think he makes us better…woudl it be enough better to deserve the big money he gets? dunno…how does he fit on the starting lineup? dunno that either…ramification everywhere

to me…a big trade is what the team needs…a big shake up…PLUS we kind of NEED to do a big trade to just clear up some breathing room on the rosters…

a big deal for Stanton is my first choice…hard to do…big mone yattached…but it woudl help

Myers isn’t as impressive as Stanton but could be a really nice bargain…even if the prospects dealt had to be big and plenty…

The Padres do like our players as they keep pilfering them in Rule 5…

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cards trade Grichuk for Bruce I may need to fly to St Louis to find out what kind of nitwits are running this team. I would be calm at first…. “Speak softly and carry a big stick.” TR.

Why?

wagee12
    Participant

Hard to understand why Donaldson keeps getting mentioned in this thread. He is no better than our young outfielders and would cost way too much for the production he provides. Think bigger.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bruce is now with the Indians after he was traded there…

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

f31…. it’s a moot point now but the NYM got a “red Ryder Ryan” a 30th rd. pick in ’16 for Bruce. It was basically a salary dump. Anyway, I still think Grich can break out.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could have had Bruce for almost nothing….oh well…

as for why Donaldson comes up…. it’s because he is available and is still an MVP level player when he is healthy…and as he is a trade target and not a contract we dont have to worry about long years…just next year…

if the only players you think are worth trading for are MAchado, Arenado, Trout, Stanton then you will tend to be disappointed all the time…

a perfect fit is just that…perfect…it’s rare… it’s hard to find and even harder to get… so you compromise some

perhaps Donaldson is a good target because even though he will cost a bit more than he should for one year of play…. he will be a FA after that…and we can throw all the money at the “worthy” players in the next FA period….but unfortunately we have budgets unlike other teams…so Harper and MAchado are pretty much non starters for acquiring anyways…do you really think we will outbid LAD, CHI, BOS, NYY, maybe even LAA? We have tried multiple times, and not really gotten it save for Holliday maybe…but overpaying for Fowler and Leake if dont think is the same as overpaying for PUjols, Price, Heyward even…which we swung and missed on because we put a line in the snad while other big bucks teams did not

our best shot at a superstar hitter is developing one…i don’t really see one…as Kelly is a catcher and never will get the headlines…O’Neill is intriguing but maybe just because he is fresh

OR…trading for one…is Myers a Superstar? borderline, but maybe on a better team in a bigger baseball town he woudl flourish… but Stanton is the big fish…ahem…to go for…despite the rumors he doesnt want to play in the midwest (not as if he has any choice, and i’m not sure they are even true)… HE is a big time player with a big time contract and is a big time superstar in an age wear statcast HR length notifications are all the rage… he is on a team that is selling itself…he has a contract that burdens them and he is at the height of his power…are there hurdles to go over to get him, is he going to leave in 2020 or get hurt again, is he goign to slump again…blah blah blah…yes all of that could happen…but that coudl happen with anyone…

if we cant outbid someone with money we might be able to do so with prospects…and on a team with no pitching…we have some of the most valuable and cost effective chips to offer…

Weaver + Hudson + Piscotty + Bader/Sierra + Hicks + everyone but Cmart and maybe Reyes is on the table…

we could add more pieces if necessary…change out ones if they want too…but we HAVE the prospects and the DEPTH of prospects to trade big right now…and we have the DEPTH of prospects in the right positions to do it as well…we can trade from outfield depth andwe can trade from starting pitching depth because we have those spots pretty much locked down…

-do they want Weaver AND Flaherty? sure we can do that…then we can re-sign Lynn or someone else…or even look to Lyons for a rotation spot or Gant etc etc
    -do they want Pham and PIscotty…or Bader AND Sierra…sure…no problem….we have the depth to deal with it…(and adding Stanton makes it even easier as we only really need 1-2 decent OFers other than Fowler and Stanton)
    -do they want PErez in there? sure we can do that…he is so far away we can deal with it
    -do they want Reyes? well…that’s tough…but 1 for 1…..i might consider it..
    -do they want Kelly for some reason (i doubt with Realmuto in there)? sure…i like Knizner and our depth at catcher behind Kelly…even with a down year i think JEremy still has something too…plus we can always sign a veteran catcher if need be…and we can keep drafting them…Kelly is awesome but i’d rather have Stanton than Kelly..

we have the depth to make a big trade work…we have the money coming in to pay for a big time player…if we arent going to overpay with money to get a superstar and we dont have one coming in the farm (RIP Oscar) then we have to go trade for one…and fortunately we have the stuff to get one…

to me Stanton just fits too well as a target to not go hard after him… I am pretty sure itwont happen..but i wont be disappointed…because there are other answers for fixing the middle of the lineup…to me they just arent “perfect” fits…and perfect fits are rare…we have a rare opportunity actually get a perfect fit…and it won’t kill us long term or short term…

blah blah blah

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 2,872 total)

The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years