StL 2024 Game #14 thread – at D’backs, Friday, April 12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2024 Game #14 thread – at D’backs, Friday, April 12

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Thursday’s day off in Arizona…

8:40 p.m.
    LHP Steven Matz (1-0, 1.74) vs. RHP Brandon Pfaadt (1-0, 5.06)
    MLB Network // BSM // KMOX

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow another western road trip. Kind of nice getting the lion’s share of these left coast games checked off the slate early in the season. A 6-0 road trip is very doable, but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if we came back home with a 5-1 record vs Arizona and lowly Oakland.

It’ll be Friday, so Louisiana corn-fed catfish fiddlers will be on the din-din docket. Matter of fact, I’m seriously thinking of having catfish fiddlers for din-din starting Friday night and then every night until we lose. I’ll set a Guinness world record for eating a heaping plate of catfish fiddlers 10 consecutive nights, all the while sporting a grin as wide as the Grand Canyon, if our boys can put together a nice little winning streak.

ZTR
    Participant

Paid - Annual

6-0 road trip coming up – hot, fresh, and sassy!

KeepComingBack
    Participant

Free

Pro tip: Put some of this stuff on the catfish fiddlers. Make sure you have plenty of slushies.

Products

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The question for this series is, can Paul Goldschmidt find his mojo and give the D-Backs fans a reminder of some of his former glory?

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That’s a good question. He’s put up some nice numbers vs. the DBacks. He’s really scuffling, so maybe he can find a way out of the trap he’s in out in AZ.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

6-7 W/L vs 6-7. We occupy the Central cellar and ARI is tied for second in the West.

ARI snapped their 5 game losing skid by winning their last 2 games vs COL. They have 5 regulars w/a ops+ above 140, so we better pitch well.

With both our catchers driving the ball, DH may become less available to others, so we’ll see what Oli does with DH and the outfield. If Scott or Siani start, Donovan vs Walker vs Herrera, becomes a decision for 2 lineup spots.

Hello bronze busts! Anytime now….

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This will be a tough series to win as they have our old buddy Zac Gallen going Sunday. He just might no-hit us. We need to somehow figure out how to win these first two to have a reasonable chance at the series.

If our offense keeps maxing out at 3 runs per game we might be looking at an ugly series.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the series where our offense breaks out to the tune of 7.5 runs a game. Now it might disappear for a while again afterwards, but I’m confident about this one!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m pretty bullish on this series. I used to cringe when seeing Matz’ name as our starting pitcher, but now get kind of a slight shiver of excitement right on down the middle of my spine. Plus, our big boppers almost certainly will start bopping in this series. What better venue for both Goldy and Arenado to get off the proverbial schneid than in Arizona, where they have sent scores of balls vast distances into Arizonan mountain backdrop. I’m so confident that Goldy will whack at least one homer in this series, that I will make a pledge. Barring injury, if Goldy does not whack a homer in this 3 game series, I will streak (wearing nothing but a Cards cap) with one out in the bottom of the 4th inning of the Cards-Brewers last regular season game in Milwaukee this year.

What’s for din-din tonight one may ask? No surprise here, as some Louisiana corn-fed catfish fiddlers will be served up hot fresh and just waiting to be gulped down the hatch. I’ll add in some creamed corn, creamy cole slaw and a heaping piece of homemade pecan pie with a huge scoop of Breyers vanilla bean ice cream gracing it’s top. And for those of you hesitant to dig into a plate of the fiddlers…….fear not! Catfish fiddlers do not taste anything like the bottom dwelling scum sucking low-life eat-anything fish that they are. And a special thank you to KeepComingBack for the Mike’s Catfish Fiddler sauce link…..I’ll definitely be ordering a bottle or two.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Note to self . . . Sacrifice a live chicken tonight to wake up bats.

Plan B Note to self . . . Don’t watch bottom of fourth inning in Cards-Brewers final matchup.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lol Jnevel! For what it’s worth, it’s not quite the revolting image one may think…..we might even hear an “uhhh” and an “ahhh” coming from Front Row Amy’s seat.

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is the last paragraph from tan article in VEB today:

Its pretty harsh but some would feel its spot on.

John Mozeliak has done an awful job in recent years developing players. Gary LaRoque clearly hasn’t done his homework on these outfielders, and Bill DeWitt Jr. and the ownership group have sat idly and allowed this to happen, letting a once proud organization essentially fade into obscurity.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Catfish tastes just the way a bottom feeder’s supposed to taste. Those appetizing and succulent channel denizens have always been the pork of the seafood world.

Jnevel
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nyquis – Note that this article is from Curtis Bishop who writes for Redbird Rants and who is generally the laughing stock of most VEB commenters. While it may have some truth, it in typical Curtis fashion leaves out or manipulates multiple facts. Basically, it’s clickbait.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs…..those catfish fiddlers sound good! Enjoy! I didn’t have any fiddlers today, didn’t go out to Lakeview, the Amish restaurant north of town.

Anyway, din-din today will be a Hungry Man’s Turkey & Dressing TV dinner. Along with an ice cold slushy Mt. Dew and some Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean ice cream for dessert. Then a 7×50 Palma Real Presidente cigar when the Reds game at the WhiteSox starts. Then another cigar or two while me and Whitey Herdog tune in to the Cards and DBacks from Arizona.

Oh, by the way, not sure if I will get to watch an episode of Barnaby Jones tonight or not. Maybe late tonight, after the game.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I almost forgot. I am going to call this one a 7-3 Redbirds victory tonight. I expect Nolan Arenado to get off the schneid with his first big dong of the year. And I look for Matz to continue his Matz-tery tonight by going six innings of one run baseball.

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

No catfish to be found around here, to my great regret, so I settled for mussels and french fries, followed by a slice of lemon meringue pie. Don’t know if that qualifies as a bat stimulant.

blingboy
    Participant

DH B. Donovan L
    1B P. Goldschmidt R
    2B Nolan Gorman L
    3B N. Arenado R
    C W. Contreras R
    LF L. Nootbaar L
    RF J. Walker R
    SS Masyn Winn R
    CF Victor Scott L

Shady
    Participant

Free

Looks like the hot hitting Burleson is relegated to a pinch hitting role for tonite against a RHP. Another hot hitter, Herrera, is not in the lineup either. I’m not whining, I kind of understand tonite’s lineup.

ZTR
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have to go get my magnifying glass to see Scott’s BA & OBP.

He makes most pitchers look like Ty Cobb at the plate (for now).

KeepComingBack
    Participant

Free

https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-injuries-and-roster-moves

This is a nice injury update. Mid May for Carlson (I knew that was at least 6 weeks. I’ve had multiple shoulder sprains) end of May for Tommy. So we watch Scott flounder for at least 3 more weeks?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Nudie Bar is back, who was sent down?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s our regulars, minus Edman. No excuses, just win.
    Bench is Herrera, Siani, Burly, Crawford

Shady
    Participant

Free

Walker needs to produce some offense in the first two games of the series. Or Burleson will be in RF Sun against the very tough RHP, Gallen. By the way, I hope Walker get’s it going.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years