StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT said:

Shildt is a AAAA manager.

Or an NL Manager of the Year candidate. But those voters don’t know squat, do they?

It is sad but predictable that some are using yesterday’s failure to make broad conclusions. Then again, you have just been waiting to hop on Shildt’s back again. You had to go dark while he led his club to a 49-29 record down the stretch and as his club took the division. Further, the team defense and baserunning are hugely improved over the prior regime, but none of that is remembered because of a bad game on the big stage.

“What have you done for me lately?”

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’m certainly not crying and complaining about Shildt. Its the Martinez boys, specifically Carlos. I refer to them as goofballs because you cant turn that goofiness on and off. When Carlos takes the mound I see a goof out there on the mound because he’s a goof everywhere else. Same way with Jose Martinez. When he comes to bat I see a goof in the batters box because he’s a goof everywhere else.

Instead of being goofy I would like to see more of that Bob Gibson attitude. That attitude that says…”BY GOD I AM BETTER THAN YOU AND I AM GOING TO PROVE IT!!!”

To me you cant act like a goofball all the time and then all of a sudden be real mean and serious when you take the mound. And Carlos performance bears that out.

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Rats wrote: To me you cant act like a goofball all the time and then all of a sudden be real mean and serious when you take the mound>

I don’t know about mean but for serious I give you Adam Wainwright. This is a kids game so I take it you want the kids to be mean and serious as they learn how to play the game. Not much of a game if there is no fun involved. JMart can goof around all he wants as long as he keeps hitting doubles and triples and keeps us in a game. Heck, he can even play right field from time to time. I have seen him do something that I have never seen Ozuna do……..layout to catch a ball. I think every team I played on had one or more of what you call ‘goofballs’ and every one of them was a team player who kept it light and encouraging for his teammates. Some of the biggest stars were also the stuffed shirts of the bunch. Not always but most of the time there is a team clown.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Schildt wasn’t that awful of a manager overall, but bringing in CMart in that situation after all of his close call in the regular season and on top of his performance in game 1 was nothing short of bone headed, that had to be coming from above, no sane person thinking on their own goes to him there. I just don’t see him as that terrible of a baseball common sense guy.

If the Cards are anywhere between 2 down and 5 up going into the late innings today, and he brings CMart in, there will hopefully be a mutiny by the logical Cards players. It’s been very obvious through facial expressions that multiple starters cringe severely when CMart comes in. I don’t believe there have been any actual comments made to the media, but it was very clear on two occasions that Flaherty does not want him closing out his games.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

It is Shildt not Schildt and Carlos is the closer so he is going to pitch in these situations. It was not bone-headed, Carlos just didn’t do the job that he is paid to do.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

It is Shildt not Schildt and Carlos is the closer so he is going to pitch in these situations. It was not bone-headed, Carlos just didn’t do the job that he is paid to do.

That is circular logic. CMart is the closer because Shildt made him the closer. And Shildt can unmake any time he wants to.
    Some posters are saying that Shildt is paralyzed by fear that if he changes closers during the playoffs, and it doesn’t work out, he will get fired. That is very unlikely, but once that fear takes over you can’t think logically

GACard
    Participant

Free

I think managers probably get too much blame for bad decisions, but it was tough to see him go to Carlos again after game 1

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One thing is for sure. The idea that Shildt would be fired is not logical.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

That is nonsense. Carlos is the closer because Hicks is hurt and if Management didn’t want Carlos to close they would have gotten someone else.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are certainly things to debate when it comes to Shildt but the idea he might get fired is comical. We just won the freaking division for the first time in 4 years. He isn’t getting fired.

Getting sidetracked on weird extreme tangents like this is what makes it difficult to stay focused and actually have a thoughtful debate on legitimate issues regarding Shildt like lineup construction, use of the pen, too much loyalty to players, etc….

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Of course he won’t get fired. That’s what makes his intransigence about CMart so weird.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

A lot of things are weird about Carlos but using him as the closer is not one of them.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

GameCard, he was paid to be a starter, not the closer. But due to not giving a crap about coming to spring training with the proper workouts during the offseason and the nonstop partying from Oct – Feb, he wasn’t ready to throw multiple innings.

You are correct that he did not do his job though.

I’m going with the best matchup between Gallegos, Miller and Brebbia for the rest of the season if it was my decision

GameCard
    Participant

Free

He is the closer because Hicks is hurt.

Viewing 14 posts - 126 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.