StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Time 3:10 p.m. CT, my projected starters RHP Dakota Hudson vs. RHP Mike Soroka, TBS // ESPN Radio // KMOX

Update: Soroka confirmed. Since Hudson is available in relief in Games 1 and 2, and especially if he pitches then, it seems that Wainwright would start this game for the Cards.

Thursday morning update: Wainwright is the official Game 3 starter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gates open 12:40 p.m.

• Official Cardinals Pregame Pep Rally:
    o 12:00–2:00 PM on the Missouri Lottery Outdoor Stage/Busch II Infield at Ballpark Village
    o Music, entertainment and appearances by DJ Todd Thomas, Cardinals Organist Dwayne Hilton, Fredbird, Team Fredbird, and Cardinals Alumni with prize and ticket giveaways!

• Red Rally Towel Giveaway: 40,000 fans entering with a ticket. Presented by Phillips 66.

• Pregame Field Ceremonies:
    o Introduction of the St. Louis Cardinals & Atlanta Braves
    o Colors presented by Scott Air Force Base Honor Guard
    o National Anthem performed by Charles Glenn
    o Ceremonial First Pitches by Hall of Famers Whitey Herzog & Bruce Sutter

Rats, take notice of that last item…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder if ‘ol Brucie will fire in one of those split-finger fastballs? Or just lob it in there?

I bet if Pugs ever got to throw out the first pitch that he would do a complete windup and fire the pitch in to that catcher instead of just barely getting it there. Heck, even Ric Flair couldn’t hardly get the first pitch to Homeplate the other day in Houston.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Such a good spot that they wouldn’t start him against a guy he’s got a 1.054 career OPS against. So…I’m not sure I could believe what he says.

1982 willie
    Participant

yea well I don’t understand why carp wasn’t in lineup today. a right hander and a guy you knew bader was gonna struggle with. there were lots of guys that struggled as well but having edman go into of and carp go to third has been a strategy at times so made sense today. though if the other guys around that spot aren’t hitting, doesn’t really matter. I haven’t seen anything to tell me carp is ready to go on a tear though. but I know shildt isn’t gonna sit any of those other guys so he might as well sit bader. bader has known if he didn’t produce some at the plate, he might not start so he will be fine, hes a team player. plus if we don’t hit, it will give a lot of people on this board somebody else to sound off about if we don’t hit on sunday. my opinion is we are gonna hit better on sunday no matter the lineup, its just a matter if our pitching is strong enough.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bet if Pugs ever got to throw out the first pitch he would do a complete windup and fire the pitch in

Darn straight I would, Rat. In my dream, that first pitch would be right down Broadway at 105 mph, knocking an unprepared Yadi completely out of his crouch and on to his keester. A startled but unhurt Yadi would then slowly get to his feet, slap the dust off his pants while slowly shaking his head back and forth and then motion me back to the hill for an encore performance. Wham! The sound of my second pitch hitting Yadi’s glove could be heard with utter clarity even by those sitting way up in Big Mac Land. Now all of the Cardinal players and managerial personnel who had been joking around for the last 10 minutes take on a serious stance as they rise to their feet and lineup side by side on their dugout railing for a Bird’s eye view of what was going on out on the pitcher’s mound…….my dream goes on and on from there, but I’ll leave it at that.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Pugs for ROY in 2020?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thank you……….. thank you very much, CardsFanInChiTown! But if I should fall a bit short, I hope Alexander “The Great” Fagalde wins it.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

With Sutter and Whitey throwing in the ceremonial first pitches I also nominate Pugs! Heck he can pitch better than Whitey and a close 2nd to Sutter. Besides he might whip up some catfish fidlers for everybody!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I’d be going with Hudson in this one, but throwing Waino here and Hudson in a potential must-win game four is okay. One concern is that I can see a developing story where Teheran goes in game four for Atlanta and throws a 2 hit shutout. He was not even on the post season roster, and then replaced the reliever who was injured warming up the other day.

At the time all the talk was how that really messed up the Braves’ ‘pen. Hopefully that story does not come to fruition, but it is just like the kind of thing that happens in sports, and in life, where something that looked to possibly doom your chances ends up being a blessing.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I think Waino is going Sunday so that in case he has one of his clunker games, the team has a chance to recover on Monday. But if they lose Sunday, they are guaranteed a trip back to chop chop land even if they win on Monday. I don’t object to Indian mascots but I do object to the tomahawks and chants that fans are encourage to do and I can see Ryan Helsley’s point completely.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The White Rat is a living legend. I hope is health is better now.

They need to have Gorman Thomas standing at the plate when Sutter throws the high hard one before the game.

David
    Participant

Free

Definitely a must win game tomorrow don’t want to put the pressure on Hudson to be forced to pitch a win or go home game on Monday. And if we do win tomorrow, I still would consider game 4 a must win to avoid going back to Atlanta on Wednesday. I’d rather be in the position where Flare is opening the NLCS and not pitching to get in it.

David
    Participant

Free

With both, road teams snatching home field advantage away the Nats and Cards have a great chance of crashing the NLCS party.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am glad to see DeJong dropped to 8th. That is where he should have been all year.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Doppler Radar shows some rain in the St. Louis area. Any chance this one gets delayed, or perhaps even postponed?

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well I’ve just finished a lovely butternut squash soup, some zucchini, green pepper, onion and tomato cooked with a splash of cream, then baked in a puff pastry, followed by a sizable chunk of Mrs. CIF’s wonderful chocolate brownie with coffee icing. Now let’s show those tomahawk wavers how real men chop down the opposition.

I have mixed feelings about Carpenter at third, but what the heck he drove in an important run in the first game and Bader has been creating unseasonable high winds at the plate so I’ll go along with Shildt’s instincts tonight.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My prediction – defense costs us the game.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nice din-din CIF. Thats some fancy fixins. Looks like we’re having the old reliable at our house. Round steak, mash poes and brussels sprouts. I just love brussels sprouts well done in butter!
    After the last game I hope someone can hit a curve. Evidently that was our undoing. At least thats what our batters said. I know Molina can hit one but I’m not sure about the other guys. As long as they’ve been playing you would think any of them would be able too? 9 to 12 chances at the plate per game you would think somebody would whack one once in a while. Well I hope the hoopla today doesn’t get in everybodys heads. Great chance to make the home town folks proud. Go Cardinals!

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t know about wong batting second. yea he was great for a while. but just before his injury and since he came back, he hasn’t really been doing all that great at the plate. but hopefully he gets his stride back. to me edman batting in the 7th spot is just too low. id bat carpenter 7th. move edamn in front of Molina since id rather have Molina hit after a fast runner since it opens up what you can do. while I don’t like the defense I can understand the move to place carpenter in the game though he may as well go 0-4 and it weakens our bench offensively. I just believe you put your best hitters in the lineup where they get the most chances to do something. it all may work out but I don’t believe it will be because of the strategy, it will be because our top guys in the order hit and that could have happened regardless of the change.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards lead 1-0 through three innings as Carpenter scored Ozuna on a sac fly.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Waino looking good so far. Seems terrifically confident.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nobodys making solid contact on the ball. Hope we can hold on like this. Not even running up the counts.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Edman hit the ball, groundout though

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.