StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLDS Game 3 thread: Sun 10/6 vs. Braves

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Schildt not bunting DeJong in the 8th was stupid even to sabermetric folks that tell you to (almost) never bunt.

On the other hand, this team’s record was greater than the sum of its parts, so someone has to get credit.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Anyone who was of the thinking that they need to keep cMart want to join the bandwagon of trading him for Yates and Patino?

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Just calling it the way it is!!! I am seeing shades of Arizona right now. Bader running in the 8th with less than two outs, not pitching to McCann, etc. Gonna give me a freaking heart attack!!! I pray they get it together!!!

Qwert
    Participant

Free

John Mo PLEASE concentrate on building a better bullpen for next year

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Two wasted outings by our starters now in this series!! Ugh!!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Muchas gracias Carlos.

LouBrockFan
    Participant

Free

Martinez gave up two HRs the other day and Schilt for brains insists on using him in the 9th with a one run lead? My 75 year old mother-in-law from the old country could manage better than him. People think he’s in the running for post-season honors? On the contrary, his job should be in jeopardy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A lot of knee-jerk reactions here.

My reaction, however, is not of the knee-jerk type. I’ve said for a long time that something needed to be done about Martinez and his goofy crap. Same way with the other Martinez, his name is Bozo.

Either Carlos B. Martinez goes back into the rotation or he needs to be traded. And we just need to get rid of Jose B. Martinez, period.

Nobody can hit either.
    Fowler 230s
    Ozuna 240s
    Goldschmidt 250s+
    Dejong 230s
    Carpenter 220s
    Bader 200s

How on earth did this team ever win 91 games?????

r/Esteemed Rat

1982 willie
    Participant

well gf wanted to go to store so had to record but I caught up pretty fast. waino was great. their starter was good too but its hard to tell with our offense cause we make any pitchers that don’t walk a lot of hitters look great. that’s the difference between the two, waino shut down a great offense. I was worried with miller coming in but it was the right move to replace waino. Martinez well what can you say. I personally thought they should have pitched to McCann. I know hes a lefty but that other guy is a better hitter and was having a good day overall especially on defense, I know they don’t always make decisions based on that but I look at things like that. offensively we were still weak across the board, ozuna looked good, was a really bad call by that umpire to ring him up there at end, he hadn’t called that all day. the inning before I felt it was a bad decision by dejong to swing 2-0 when the guy had walked two people in a row. he should have been bunting but perhaps he cant bunt and im not sure shildt has a signal for that anyway. bader getting picked off there wasn’t good but actually I thought the guy balked at first glance. I actually think his sidewinder throwing lets him see the runner a little longer and bader didn’t take that into account. at least bader was being aggressive trying to make something happen which I actually like. it worked out first game, not this time. in the end it didn’t matter anyway.

1982 willie
    Participant

I have to agree ratsbuddy. I think the cardinals could have made a move to get a better closer once hicks went down but as usual they chose to rely on hope our guys can do it rather than go out and get a guy who is more reliable in those situations.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yet once again, Rat’s words ring true. Maybe there’s something in the catfish fiddlers that Rat & Wooster consume, but Jimmy the Greek had nothing on those two.

Quite simply, when you’re as offensively challenged as our boys are, you can beat the Chicago’s and the Philadelphia’s of the world, but not teams in the class of an Atlanta or LA on center stage. But. …..it’s not over yet. Stranger things have happened.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Carlos Martinez is the first reliever to allow 3+ earned runs in multiple games of the same Division Series.

The sad part is if the Cards are fortunate enough to have one or two more save situations this series, the skipper will probably gladly trot him back out there again — because he’s his guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, Jose Martinez had a pinch hit single to keep the eighth inning rally going. Ragging on him tonight has nothing to do with this game and instead is your tired agenda being repeated again and again and again. At least get mad at those who screwed up… Jose Martinez did his job. Carlos did not.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

ERA is 23.14? I’m no baseball guru, but isn’t that a little high for a closer?

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Shilt is managing like it’s the regular season. There are a lot more rest days now so you can yank a guy that doesn’t have it going. He’s already blown the save, so it is no longer a save situation. Why let him pitch any more?
    Not sure I agree on Bader’s steal attempt. JMart has been swinging the bat well lately, and you know the Braves are looking for Bader to try to steal.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt not totally backing Martinez, after all. To me, it reads between the lines that he will have to be talked out of using Martinez, though. What do others think?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Anyone who was of the thinking that they need to keep cMart want to join the bandwagon of trading him for Yates and Patino?

Robbing from Peter to pay Paul aren’t you? Carlos move to the rotation should be imminent for us out of sheer desperation.

Carlos hasn’t really pitched as a starter very much the last 2 years. Wouldn’t that lead you to belief he’s a tad damaged and needs to rebuild his reputation as a starter. Padres won’t do Yates and Patino. They need a top of the rotation starter. Not someone who’s damaged goods who might regain some value if he can start. They’d sell high on Yates and want maybe another player MLB ready or already on the roster.

Bottom line is we need Carlos as a starter next season. We lose Wacha and likely Waino and even if we don’t lose him I wouldn’t assume lighting is going to strike twice with Adam. Then you know Hicks will not be ready to close until at least June or July. Who do we get to replace his production? I wouldn’t bank on him coming back 100% either.

This is a 3rd place team next year without some major moves and some subtractions like Ozuna. Cubs will retool a bit. Milwaukee will have Yelich back and I’m sure will make a couple low leverage moves. The offense has been a mess for most of 2019. The bullpen got overworked due to the starters not putting in at least quality starts for the first 2+ months of the season.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Remember they chose to not help this team at the deadline. This team is on them. A team lucky enough to win the division but likely the worst of the 8 teams still playing.

They won the division. That was the goal and anything else is icing on the cake.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

538 says current odds of advancing are 25% Cards, 75% Braves.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-mlb-predictions/

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

To be fair, Shildt might not have another option who would work out better. I would try something different. Shildt won’t.

Martinez lacks the mental toughness at this point to handle the high stress moments and make the course corrections when he hits the bumps. I couldn’t help but notice the contrast today when Molina met Wainwright on the mound, in the 8th I believe. It looked like two grown men confidently deciding how to handle a crucial juncture of the game. When Yadi meets Martinez on the mound, it usually looks like daddy telling son to calm down and refocus. His body language is not good in those moments. It happens often and is not what you need from a closer.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Rats….great post on these pretenders as hitters. This is my last post of the season. I cannot watch another game with this lineup. It’s sickening. The sight of C Martinez and his antics is pathetic.
    I have said numerous times break this team big time and how they won a division with this lineup is freakish.
    Now the real bad news Mo will not do anything but tweak this mess so we have little to look forward too. Makes me want to hurl.

1982 willie
    Participant

well shildt saying that walking McCann was the right decision doesn’t surprise me. I mean I guess it did make sense baseball statistically speaking and if it doesn’t work out then you can say its just one of those things that happen. I just think swanson if im spelling it right is a gamer and was really on his game, I don’t let him beat me there. other than freeman for me, hes the one guy I would fear to get a big hit. though Martinez probably would have given it up to McCann anyway. im not sure we can expect to get a better chance to win a game than we had today. our offense is just nonexistent. our best thing today was a sacrifice fly, tells you a lot.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.