StL 2019 NLCS Game 2 thread: Sat 10/12 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLCS Game 2 thread: Sat 10/12 vs. Nats

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s go back in time just a few weeks. The afternoon of September 19th and the Cardinals are in the Windy City preparing to embark on a crucial 4 game series with the cubs. Having lost the previous 6 games at Wrigley, most were predicting a Chicago 4 game sweep. At that time, if someone could wave a magic wand and pooof! If you wanted it, the St. Louis Cardinals would soon find themselves playing for the NL pennant, down 2 games to zip and preparing to hit the road for 3 games vs not the Atlanta Braves….nor the Los Angeles Dodgers, but vs the very beatable Washington Nationals. Would you be happy if you could magically make that come true? I think we would be extremely hard pressed to find any St. Louis Cardinal player, coach, executive, or fan who would not be totally ecstatic to have that wish be granted. Well, here we are. This series is far from over if our players and coaches recognize the wonderful opportunity that is still at their fingertips……just waiting to be grabbed.

Brock20
    Participant

Manager has to take a lot of credit for these first 2 losses. Pitching by the Nats looks great when players who should be benched are in there going 0 for forever . Front office must be making the lineup calls as Shildt cant be so out of touch he keeps sending the same offensive team out there game after game .

1982 willie
    Participant

well that was again a pretty bad effort. Scherzer actually did pitch really well, a lot better than sanchez actually pitched. its hard to tell sometimes cause I think that at times these guys would miss the ball if you just placed it on a tee. waino pitched great but should have been taken out after seven in my opinion. how much do you expect out of him at this age. your bullpen should be able to handle the game after that. I said earlier before the game we needed to at least move some guys around in this batting order if not make some changes. Martinez again hit a ball hard, what doe sit hurt to put him in right, put bader at center or arozarena. if they don’t hit, it isn’t any worse than what fowler and carpenter are doing. at least bader or arozarena get on, they can cause problems with the pitchers concentration. but going by schildts interview, it will be business as usual. if we can just go to Washington and do to them what they have done to us, maybe we can get back into it, we do have Flaherty going. but unless he throws about ten innings of shutout ball, im not sure it makes any difference.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I admire your optimism Mr. Pugs, but I find it difficult to sustain. Even if we break out with a couple of our occasional run spurts it’s just too hard to imagine us winning four of the next five games using the anemic offense we have for so long displayed. Heaven knows I’ll be wishing along with the best of you, but if we can’t win with the kind of wonderful pitching Flaherty, Miko and Wainwright have been giving us the dream of a NL pennant seems fleeting at best. Please oh please prove me wrong.
    Rah Cardinals!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

If tomorrows lineup doesn’t change I might just skip the whole works and read about the misery later. It is obvious the TBS crew has looked only at the post season and not the regular season with some of their remarks. Goldy doesn’t miss much when he swings – hah.

Time to give JMart his start. And put Bader in CF and sit Carp – Edman to 3B. Too bad we don’t have a backup quality SS but Edman did play that position in the minors.

The Nats are on a streak to be sure but the Cards are on strike or so it seems.

I planned on pulling for the Yankees but when they pulled Voit from their roster I swung back over to the Astros. Now it is looking like I have two losers.

Shildt – Chill man and change that lineup. I know you can’t get rid of all that deadwood but a wakeup call is due in game 3.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its not fair to judge a team on any two games. This has been brutal but Cards are still watching their team play while most of the others are watching NCAAF or mowing the lawn/raking leaves.

I’m not happy with what I’m watching but I look at it like this… we’re playing with house money.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Still waiting for some regs over at the top-50 prospect thread.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Another announcer blunder where I scratched my head – “Wainwright came up through the system as a reliever and was converted to a starter after 2006”

In the minors he had 2 relief outings the year he was drafted.

David
    Participant

Free

Thru 3 LCS games no Hone team has won a game. It may continue tonight and hopefully tomorrow

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo and the rest of those in charge will probably want the team kept intact for next year. Their reasoning is that most players had bad years this year save Wong, Molina, and Edman. Goldschmidt, Ozuna, DeJong, Carpenter, Fowler, and Bader all had bad years. They will argue they expect them to return to normalcy next year and that could propel the Cards to bigger and better things.

There could be some logic behind that reasoning. But then again, Ozuna may fly the coop so who knows.

I agree Rat. I have saying the same thing for weeks. Everyone out there who thinks we are going after Cole, Rendon, Betts, or Lindor are going to be sorely disappointed because it isn’t happening. Due to ill timed contract extensions, bad contracts with no trade clauses, and some dead weight on the payroll, I don’t anticipate a lot of transactions over the winter. There will be a few moves but nothing huge.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years