StL 2019 NLCS Game 2 thread: Sat 10/12 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLCS Game 2 thread: Sat 10/12 vs. Nats

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:08 p.m., Adam Wainwright vs. TBA (Max Scherzer?), TBS // ESPN Radio // KMOX

Gates: 12:35 PM
    • Official Cardinals Pregame Pep Rally:
    o 12:00-2:00 PM on the Missouri Lottery Outdoor Stage/Busch II Infield at Ballpark Village
    o Music, entertainment and appearances by DJ Todd Thomas, Cardinals Organist Dwayne Hilton, Fredbird, Team Fredbird, and Cardinals Alumni with prize and ticket giveaways!

• Red & Navy Rally Towel Giveaway: 40,000 fans entering with a ticket. Presented by Ameren Missouri & Ameren Illinois.

• Pregame Field Ceremonies:
    o Colors presented by Navy Talent Acquisition Group – Mid-America Color Guard
    o National Anthem performance by Retired Naval Petty Officer, 1st Class, Generald Wilson
    o Ceremonial First Pitches by Cardinals Alumni Danny Cox & John Tudor

PadsFS
    Participant

Poor game last night. Moving on. Let’s do this! I’ll be watching from my tailgate at the UK-Arkansas game later today. My friends are going to hate me.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Have fun, Pads! I love college football, although not to the degree I did back in the ’80s. The big programs are too much like the pros now, where money rules.

Still the atmosphere is great. This Cardinal-Nats game looks like a mismatch that favors Washington. But the Cardinals have beaten the odds all year, so lets hope we can put up some runs and get this one. Not necessarily a must win, but a loss would set up game 3 as a must win.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

This is a must win for cards no doubt about it

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

As recently as September the Cards beat both Scherzer and Strasburg. Corbin – not so much but as they say, When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Not impressed with Fowler in CF last night but not sure Bader would have been any better. Am starting to groan a bit when Fowler comes to bat. Hope he snaps out of it soon – hitting it good but right at folks.

Yadi still getting credit for winning a game on that sac fly but without Kolten hitting a double that sac fly would have been nothing but an out. Give KW a little credit too please.

Carp needs another bench rest but he was right on the foul hitting the ground before the catcher snagged it. I was really surprised to not see Carp pinch hit for in the late innings but my pay grade is $00.00.

If I ate half of the meals posted here, I would be the shortest and fattest guy in the state and there are a lot of short fat guys in this state.

Apologies to those to whom I responded when they posted name calling rants. I need to learn restraint but my favorite politician says, “When hit, strike back.” Restraint is just an R word in my PC vocabulary.

GO CARDS. Maybe warmer temps will help.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Paul DeJong. Is all we can say about him is that offensively he hit 30 home runs and defensively he is a gold glove contender? He has struck out 10 times in 21 at bats during the post season. Batting #8 is probably the right spot but how many non hitters do we need in the lineup (I know they all look like non-hitters last night). TGIF Jose Martinez – a loss is one thing but to be no hit would have been flat out embarrassing. Carpenter continues to start – predicted to do so today – when his contributions are minimal yet he is capable of doing some good deeds with the bat – just not too many this season.

Okay, fry me if you like but this is my lineup today:

Edman – SS
    Wong – 2B
    JMart – RF
    Goldy – 1B
    Ozuna – LF
    Yadi – C
    Munoz – 3B
    Bader – CF
    Waino – P

I know it won’t happen but I would like to see JMart batting more than once and DeJong on the bench.

14NyquisT
    Participant

There they were last night with their pale and pastel pink plumage. Someone left the cage door open and the St. Louis Canaries escaped in all their splendor. Roosting on the seats and rail on their short stays in the dugout.

Sure they were cheeping and chirping before the game and possibly overdosed on the pre-game meals of appetizing assorted seeds. The only thing that roused the fans were a couple (two) of (Wong and Arozarena) times they were able show off their remarkable speed.

Regrettably, they showed up with twigs instead of bats as they flailed away at pitches. Only Cafito was able to have the strength to use a bat. They played the type of game reserved for pitchers they haven’t seen before, but this time it was a crafty veteran not known for dominating batting orders lately, like he last night.

By the sixth inning the chirps became subtle tweets. In the end, they left the dugout with their tail feathers between their legs… heads down. It was one of their best performances all season, and there many of them.

Note to Cardinal personnel: don’t leave that cage door open. We need the real Cardinals to show up today. Include some real high-protein meat for their pre-game meal. The ‘Birds will be facing a better pitcher today and real REDbirds can beat him if they all show up with their hitting bats.

Go Cardinals…. da Nationals ain’t dat good (in my New York accent).

Just for the record… what is a National anyway?

ps. if you read all of this cynical post… I apologize. But wtf was that effort we witnessed?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Poor game last night. Moving on. Let’s do this! I’ll be watching from my tailgate at the UK-Arkansas game later today. My friends are going to hate me.

Have fun at the game tonight. I am a UA season ticket holder. We haven’t won a SEC game in two years, which is pathetic. A once proud football program has hit rock bottom. I’m sure UK will win tonight.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I do have one question:

What happened to Carlos Martinez velocity? I thought he threw around 97-98 somewhat consistently. Seems he’s around 93 anymore.

Did I miss something?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Same lineup.

1982 willie
    Participant

well from that lineup I see more defensive woes. why is edman hitting behind carpenter. im sorry edman isn’t going to make them throw lollipops to carpenter or dejong. put him behind ozuna that way molina has the opportunity to do a lot of different things offensively. we need the guys that have hit the best to get the most opportunities. its your top and middle that win the games most of the time, not the end of the lineup especially against great pitching which I expect to see today.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Got a day game, Waino and the weathers warmed up. Personally don’t think our teàm gave their best effort hitting last night. Saw the post game interview with Shildt saying they didn’t give us much to hit. I really don’t get that. 3 strikes X 9 innings=27 chances. Its not magic, just baseball. Lets get some runs today, pitchings been fine.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Oh yeah 27×3 outs inning-81 chances per game

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I don’t think every pitch was a strike but you can figure it like you want I guess. Some balls were actually hit into fair territory but were caught of fielded for outs. As they, good pitching will beat good hitting every time and, last night, it did.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

No doubt good pitching has its place but I do not consider anybody unhitable. That well “he didn’t give us anything to hit” stuff is just covering up poor execution. Its really been all season. Honestly some of these guys do need to step up quick. This is a very real chance to end up in the big one. This may not come around again for a long time. Teams like Atlanta and LA had to work up to it for years to even contend. No pressure huh? This is what they wanted. Regressing to preAll star form isn’t gonna get them there. Its really up to the team. May not see this chance again in their careers.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nats are on a roll. The Cardinals need to do something to cause a “disturbance in the force”!

jim
    Participant

Free

Like plunking Soto? Got my permission…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wainwright with a good start. It’s be nice to score early to change the complexion of things.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Anderson on TBS said a couple times that Goldy rarely swings and misses during his 1st inning AB. Did he just start watching baseball a week ago?

Scherzer Ks the side. More of the same. Swing hard folks. Every time. It always feels good (Wong did draw a walk).

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nats jump on top 1-0. Pressure is on the offense to do something. I mean anything!

jim
    Participant

Free

Would DeJong have a better chance if he just closed his eyes and swung at random?

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Twelve innings against Washington pitching and only one hit. 😡

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

We’re sure generating a lot of wind out there today.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Well the Nats have all the runs they going to need today as this cardinal offense is just offensive!

GACard
    Participant

Free

Of course the 12 run inning wasn’t us breaking out. It was an omen that we might not score again. Just like every outburst of that kind all season

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years