StL 2019 NLCS Game 1 thread: Fri 10/11 vs. Nats

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 NLCS Game 1 thread: Fri 10/11 vs. Nats

This topic contains 134 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1982 willie 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:08 p.m., Miles Mikolas vs. TBA (Anibal Sanchez?), TBS // ESPN Radio // KMOX

Gotta be Wainwright, right?

Gates: 4:35 PM
    • Official Cardinals Pregame Pep Rally:
    o 4:00–6:00 PM on the Missouri Lottery Outdoor Stage/Busch II Infield at Ballpark Village
    o Music, entertainment and appearances by DJ Todd Thomas, Cardinals Organist Dwayne Hilton, Fredbird, Team Fredbird, and Cardinals Alumni with prize and ticket giveaways!

• Red & Navy Rally Towel Giveaway: 40,000 fans entering with a ticket. Presented by SSM Health.

• Pregame Field Ceremonies:
    o Introduction of the St. Louis Cardinals & Washington Nationals
    o Outfield Flag by Fort Leonard Wood
    o National Anthem performed by Charles Glenn
    o Ceremonial First Pitches by Cardinals Hall of Famers Jason Isringhausen & Scott Rolen

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I would think Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty.

Wainwright would be set up to only pitch at home.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I would think Waino for game #1, but who knows. With his experience in big games and the postseason in general, I’d go with him. Mikolas looked good in the NLDS, so I wouldn’t question that one bit. It’s a coin flip for sure, with that being said the experience tips it to Waino.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty.

Wainwright would be set up to only pitch at home.

I agree with this.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Its great that we get the Nats instead of the Dodgers. That LAD lineup is an offense force. Plus we get to play in the EDT zone. WAS has holes in their order and the pitching can be vulnerable.

The Nationals ain’t that good.

Go Rays!!!!!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT,
    You keep saying all of these teams aren’t that good. And you seem to be right in your assessments. Keep up the good work!

Pugs apparently now has two prognosticators he can rely on.

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I favor starting Mikolas in Game 1 and Wainwright in Game 2. Mainly because Wainwright had that bad experience in 2012 and we no longer have Pete Kozma to bail him out…..LOL. Actually, it doesn’t matter to me as long as we win and take this series in 4 games. The Yanks and Houston should be a real blast to watch if the Astros make the ALCS.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I checked out the stats of the Nationals for advantages the Cards may have and found this. Three of the WAS top starters are susceptible to stolen bases.

Strasburg – SBs 16 – CS 2
    Sanchez – SBs 15 – CS 0
    Scherzer – SBs 8 – CS 1
    Do the math…. that’s 39 stolen bases and only 3 caught.
    Only Corbin is good against the run. SBs 11 – 6 CS

WAS was 25th in the NL with 86 SBs against – 24 CS>>>28% CS rate
    STL was 1st in the NL with 34 SBs against – 19 CS>>>55% CS rate. Nearly twice the WAS rate.

As far as running goes:
    Nats swiped 116 bases(tied for 1st) caught stealing 29.
    Cards swiped 116 bases(tied for 1st) caught stealing 29. (not a misprint)

I’m thinking that if Wacha is added to the 25-man, Arozarena has to stay on as a possible PR at a crucial situation.

To our manager… let the boys run.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Shildt said the order is Mikolas, Wainwright, Flaherty, and Hudson. Hudson will be available out of the pen in the games prior to his scheduled start.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Also, Shildt said it’s likely there will be no roster changes and acknowledged Aroz has grace, lol.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Stealingwise we have the edge: they won’t run on Yadi like they do on others

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The Nats win blew my chance at the $250K grand prize. I had a perfect bracket up until then.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Forecast is for rain in the St. Louis area tomorrow. Will it be moved out by game time? Here in SW Indiana we are forecast for some much needed rain tomorrow as well. That might prevent me from going to the Jasper @ Washington football game tomorrow night and watching Game 1 of the NLCS.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Nats win blew my chance at the $250K grand prize. I had a perfect bracket up until then.

Me too Mike!! I was already planning my trip to the bank deposit although those tiebreaker questions were dicey. lol

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, a little rain isn’t going to keep you away from the Jasper game tonight is it? Throw on a poncho and have a few nachos at the game. You should get home in time to see the Cards score a couple of runs off Doolittle for the win!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no problem with Izzy and Rolen throwing out the first pitches tonight since they are new Cardinal HOF members but it is a crying shame Kozma isn’t involved. It would be very fitting.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

gscottar,
    We had rain this morning, about a half inch so far. The Doppler Radar shows a bunch more headed our way. Jasper will blow out Washington probably around 42-0 so I think I will stay home and watch the NLCS.

And speaking of rain in St. Louis, the guy on the MLB Network last night said the rain is supposed to be out of St. Louis this afternoon and the game will be played. The radar shows most of the rain already out of the St. Louis area.

r/Esteemed Rat

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

It is lovely in Columbia SC…80 degrees and sunny. Go Cocks and GO Cardinals.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

I will be watching the first 2 games via my phone as I am on vacation and there’s no cable service and internet is spotty but good enough to watch the games. I’ll be back home in time to watch game 3 on Monday night though. Go Cardinals!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope the game tonight is a sellout. The poor attendance for game 4 of the NLDS was blamed on the weekday starting time. That may be true but I don’t recall that being a problem in past years. My guess is the fans just still aren’t quite sold on this team. An organization as proud as the Cardinals should not have empty seats for a playoff game even if it starts at 2am. Who are we, the Rays?

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

The rotation sets up nicely for us because if it does go the full 7, at least we’ll have Waino and Flare going.

Rats made reference to this before game 5 of the lds and I think it needs mention again. Regardless of what happens from here on out, for our Redbirds to get this far is truly amazing.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

gscottar
    Participant

Paid – Annual
    I just hope the game tonight is a sellout.

I don’t think that will be an issue the first 2 games. Whatever the case was in game 4, Cardinals nation will be there in full force wearing red, being loud, and doing there part to help us achieve victory.

Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Free

This is evenly matched series in my opinion. I don’t think one team has a clear advantage in any one category. Hopefully our offense can continue to display the offense they did in game 5 of the LDS. I’m not expecting 10 run innings, in fact I don’t expect any team to score more than 5 runs in any one game. Of course if Rat differs with that, then by all means don’t listen to me, and Always go with Rats.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Cardinals are gonna win. We’ve been under pressure for a month. The two nats s pitchers will be tough but we’re better. Go Cardinals! Oh yeah, don’t believe everything you read, esp out of DC

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years