StL 2019 Game 97 thread: Fri 7/19 at Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 97 thread: Fri 7/19 at Reds

This topic contains 79 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friday, July 19 6:10 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (6-7, 3.99) vs. RHP Tyler Mahle (2-10, 4.82)
    FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino has been good the last couple of months. This Reds pitcher doesn’t seem to have been good for the entire year. Different guys stepping up to carry the offense will be key. It’s been O’Neill, Goldy, Dejong, and Edman lately at times. Gonna need one of them or others to step up tonight.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino’s home/away splits are a bit alarming. He is much much better at Busch. Hopefully he can give us at least 6 innings at GAB tonight. Our bullpen needs a break as we are in the middle of a long stretch of games w/o a day off.

Speaking of that I am surprised we haven’t seen more of the Memphis shuttle this year to keep the pen fresh. There has been some but not as much as last year it seems.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Memphis staff is not where it was last season. For instance, last year’s opening day roster was
    Gant
    Hudson
    Gomber
    Flaherty
    Poncedeleon

At the moment, the rotation is
    Woodford
    Warner
    Hauschild
    Arauz
    Cabrera(put on the IL yesterday)

See the difference?

8 (eight) MEM pitchers are on the IL…. 5 starters. The AA and A-adv staffs are loaded with prospects that have been pushed along to cover the spots vacated by the injured. The result is the farm system up and down having a dreadful season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The pen had better be ready tonight.

Wainwright this season:
    Home 9 starts: 5-2, 2.33
    Away 8 starts: 1-5, 6.20

Career at GABP:
    17 app/15 starts: 6-5, 4.52

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    2. Jose Martinez (R) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Dexter Fowler (S) CF
    6. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was wondering with Gyorko, Carp, and even Yadi out, who is our primary backup 1bman?

I know several guys CAN probably play there, but i wonder who would be the guy to give Goldy a day off? If Ravelo was up it would be a no brainer, but he isnt.

The gut reaction is that JMart would be the guy, but just like Wong in CF I think that they don’t want to even go down that road again outside an emergency.

Which makes me believe the Wieters or Knizner is the backup 1bman, I know I saw Knizner play there a bit in ST so i think maybe he is the the backup 1b man right now. I feel like Wieters can play there too, but I think he is stronger as catcher so in a situation where you need to play a backup 1bman Knizner gets the call IMO as Wieters would be the better guy to play catcher. It still protects you from the catcher getting hurt, but does up the chances either of them coudl get hurt.

Yes, Munoz, Edman, Sosa, and probably DeJong CAN play it, but i think maybe Knizner is the guy.

thoughts? It isnt that big of a deal I am just curious (almost in lines of who the emergency catcher is…which is probably far less probable of happening and thus curious about the info) as if it was a long injury i think Ravelo comes right up, but a day here or there for Goldy I think it is interesting to consider as Carp looks to be out for a while and Yadi and Gyorko too.

Goldy will need a day off at some point.

anyways, I am think Waino turns an old school gut it out 5 innings 3 or less…gives the offense a fighting chance if the bats show up

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Padres jumped out in front of the Cubs 3-0 on a sac fly by Renfroe and a two run dinger by Machado.

A grand slam by Rizzo in the 3rd has the Cubs back on top 4-3.

And I am calling a big dong by Goldfinger tonight in Cincinnati.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who will be having cheeseburgers on the grill, bar-b-q chips, banana cream pie, and a Mt. Dew for supper. Then during the rest of the game a 7×50 Palma Real cigar. Whitey Herdog will be on the sofa with me.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy.
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Padres and Cubs now tied 5-5 heading to the last of the 8th. A solo blast in the top of the 8th by Josh Naylor tied the score. Go Pads! Go Pugs!

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately the Cubs won today 6-5 so we need to win to stay 2 1/2 games back. Cubs are 6-1 since the all star break.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A fielding error in the last of the 8th by Hosmer was the key play that allowed the Cubs to score the winning run.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will be having cheeseburgers on the grill, bar-b-q chips, banana cream pie, and a Mt. Dew for supper. Then a 7×50 Palma Real cigar.

No wonder you’ve been having dizzy spells, Esteemed Rat. I think you have had that same dinner like 6 times in the past 2 weeks. We need to get you a little lady to help spruce up your diet. We don’t want to lose you 25 years early, Rat.

I think Goldschmidt is going downtown tonight too…..maybe twice. I’m calling this one 11-10. Birds.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Reds pitcher throws a ton of fastballs and the Cards are good at hitting fastballs. The numbers say it’s a good matchup. So far it seems guys aren’t picking up the ball too well.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The ump has a generous zone going tonight, to say the least. Suarez and David Bell have already been ejected.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino with his usual bad road pitching and the Cards are now in a tough spot. Hopefully they can hit the Reds’ own bad pitcher soon.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Is there anyway, anyway possible to only have Waino pitch during home games? His home/road splits are polarity. Its a night and day difference.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

My goodness, that was embarrassing for Wainwright. I bet a couple of those guys haven’t hit like that since high school.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

7-0 after 4. This is over. Hopefully Wacha can go 3-4 innings and save the bullpen.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Let Wacha pitch it out or put Leone out there. Come back to win tomorrow.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Edmonds was critical of the OF positioning as what looked to be a routine fly to RF dropped in front of Martinez. Interesting.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fortunately for the Cards, Matt Bowman came in, the Reds defense was snoozing and all of the sudden, it is a 7-5 game in the sixth.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I feel really badly for those who turned this game off. Martinez’ three-run HR on a fat, full-count pitch caps a 10-run sixth – and the Cards are still batting. GABP is full of fans there for fireworks night.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What an inning!! Jmart with the three run homer to make it ten runs in the 6th now!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just back from dinner….looks like it’s going to be a dandy finish. Waino amazingly off the “L” hook.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Well ain’t this somethin’?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years