StL 2019 Game 92 thread: Sun 7/14 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 92 thread: Sun 7/14 vs. D-backs

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Two bases from where the runners were when the pitch was made when the first play from an infielder goes out of play.

It is two bases from where the runners are when the throw is made when it is by an outfielder (or when it is not the first play by an infielder).

It is one base if it is from the pitcher from the rubber.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

MM3, it’s not a change of rules, it’s just not well understood. When a wild throw that goes out of play is the first play by an infielder, then the runner is awarded two bases, and the two bases is governed by the position of the runners at the time of the pitch. Since Wainwright was already at 1B at the time of the pitch, he was awarded two bases, moving him to 3B.

A counter to that would be if Wainwright had clearly legged out an infield hit to an infielder who made a bad throw into the stands, then Wainwright would be awarded two bases from where he was at the time of the pitch. So in this case, he would be awarded 2B, which is two bases away from home plate where he was at the time of the pitch. It would not matter if he had already crossed 1B safely before the ball went into the stands.

EDIT: I now see I posted after triple, but we are essentially saying the same thing.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Euro DandyEuro Dandy.
    Participant

Free

Thanks ATFTC and EW. Never too old to learn something new. FWIW, none of the ‘expert’ baseball fans at my pulmonary rehab class knew the answer either.

Participant

Free

Yeah, that rule is pretty complicated. A lot of umpires get that wrong (not necessarily at the MLB level, but college and below). There was an incident of one of my games once upon a time a thousand years ago and I boned up on my rule book after that.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years