StL 2019 Game 92 thread: Sun 7/14 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 92 thread: Sun 7/14 vs. D-backs

This topic contains 78 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar atripleshyofthecycle 8 hours, 5 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (5-9, 4.53) vs. RHP Zack Greinke (10-3, 2.73) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Update. Adam Wainwright (5-7, 4.31) is starting Sunday, with Mikolas delayed until Monday.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The lineup today should be interesting with regard to Carp’s inclusion or not and batting position if he is in the game. Last night his batting looked the same as earlier this season – look at two strikes and swing away at the third. Golden Sombrero was well deserved and he was on his way to 5 had the Make-A-Wish kid not been in the booth. What is 5 strikeouts called? Platinum Sombrero? Or Trade-em-Away Hat?

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cardinals are in a tough spot.

If they were 10-12 games out and well under .500 they could start dumping dead weight and play prospects.

As it is, they are hovering at .500 and right in the thick of the divisional race. Do they fish or cut bait?

Almost any decision is justifiable. Personally, I think a rebuild is on order but I don’t have much confidence in either the FO or the current manager. To be fair to Schildt though, what does he have to work with?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So the Cards are 3.0 games out at even Steven 45-45 and only 2 games out in the loss column. Most folks here are relying on a couple of players having strong second halves. So we are in essence following what the FO did at the beginning of the season… hoping that our core will perform like the back of their bubble gum cards.

No one player at any position is going to be enough to turn our .500 under-performers into a team that would look like division champs. Who we have here will have to step it up and add some jazz into their steps. The team as a whole is not looking like contenders… and yet there they are.

If we had had at least a few of our stars hitting their career averages maybe the standings would look different. No one has hit like Goldschmidt and Carpenter were expected to which is problem #1, and problem #2 we are not getting much production from the OF which is in disarray. The vets and the rooks have not gained much traction.

The trade deadline is approaching and so many Cards are at rock-bottom values. We won’t be buyers or sellers. We’re stuck with a bunch of players that haven’t come close to what they are getting paid for.

After playing so many spiritless losses, we are still in a position to win it all. That should inspire some hope right there.

ps…. Hudson has pitched like we expected Flaherty to pitch, and Flaherty like Hudson. Even Steven.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Almost any decision is justifiable. Personally, I think a rebuild is on order but I don’t have much confidence in either the FO or the current manager. To be fair to Schildt though, what does he have to work with?

Shildt apparently hasn’t been able to offer much inspiration. IMO he is a sub .500 type of manager with a contract for 2020. Who/what motivates him?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<If they were 10-12 games out and well under .500 they could start dumping dead weight and play prospects.>

2011 – mid August – 10.5 games out; won Wild Card, Won NLCS, Won World Series. The only dead weight they dumped was Colby Rasmus. Just sayin.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Shildt apparently hasn’t been able to offer much inspiration. IMO he is a sub .500 type of manager……… >

His record as a manager all through the minors does not support that with facts but it is your opinion. I can understand that. Have yet to hear a single gripe about him from any team member but I can’t recall if Pham was traded before or after Matheny was fired.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I still remember that this team has the best record in the major leagues through April. Yeah I know that was only a month but it does show that they have the capability.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really think this team should be both buyers and sellers. There is no rule that says you can’t do both. We can try to re-tool and still be competitive. I think is fool hardy to try to dump the guys with big contracts. We will get nothing in return and very little salary relief. I think we are just going to have ride it out with those guys until their contracts are closer to expiring (Carp, Fowler, Goldy, Yadi, Cecil, Miller).

The guys I would make available are Wong, Bader, JMart, Wacha, and Weiters. I wouldn’t expect any of them to fetch a very impressive haul but it would clear some space for some more effective players. We could have an OF of Ozuna, Fowler, and O’Neill then call up Arozarena to be the 4th OF. Then in the offseason offer Ozuna the QO, let him walk, and take the pick. Carlson could be ready at some point next year or definitely by 2021.

Let Edman have a shot at 2B. We could then go after guys like Merrifield and Peralta to spice up the offense and Will Smith to help lockdown the pen. That is kind of threading the needle. It is a mini shakeup but also still “going for it”. Jager is my inspiration for this idea plus I hate the idea of eating money. It is bad business to pay someone to play for someone else.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 4 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 4 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This is starting to honk me off. I can type stuff like this and it works but my regular post keeps getting the error message that my reply cannot be created at this time.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t get too “honked off”, Ratscallion! Hang in there…..Waino now with 4 K’s as we amble on along to the bottom of the 2nd in a 1-0 Cardinal ballgame.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 2

Wong – Laces a base hit to left to get things brewing for the Birds.

* So much for that as Greinke promptly picks off Wong and that’s just what lower rung mediocre squads do.

Knizner – Whiffs flailing.

Bader – 5 for his last 54…..that kind of hitting makes Mendoza from Mendoza Line fame look like a Hall of Famer…Harrison flies out to deep right to retire the side.

Cards 1
    Snakes 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yikes this place is a morgue today! I’ve seen more action on the base paths when the 2019 Cardinals are at bat than around here today.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt worked with Pham in the minors and they got along very well.

Shildt managed over 900 minor league games with a .522 winning percentage and three league titles. As an MLB manager, his team’s record is .541 (86-73).

But, of course, facts mean nothing when the guy is someone you don’t like. Sub-.500 type? Hah!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This Tim Locastro fellow for AZ. may be baseball’s next Ron Hunt as he was just hit for the 21st time this year….7 of them were in the minors. And just like Ronny Hunt, Locastro almost seemed to enjoy the experience. Reminds me of Robert Duvall from Apocalypse “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” fame, in that these sort of guys just CANNOT be hurt.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perfect game thru 7 by the Rays today….Stanton and now Yarbrough dealing for the Floridians.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Would love to see some sin streaks with our current team. Really shouln’t be that hard to do. The Central must be more even than most people thought for us to still be in it. After all its baseball and nobody totally dominates. I really liked the ,2011 team. They were a bunch of scrappers. Overachievers if you like. Most nights someone, could be any of em, would step up and pull something off to win the game. With that team you never felt like they were out of it. If we get some of that magic things could get much better. Still think the talents there but we gotta improve on where we left off last year, Go Cardinals!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldschmidt launches a long 2 run dinger to left making it 4-0 Birds! Munoz singled in Waino just prior to Goldschmidt’s feat.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big bomb by Goldy. I like Tyler hitting behind him. I would like to see what Tyler could do with 500 AB’s. He might strike out 200 times but he also might hit 35 bombs. He also can be a pretty good OF I think with frequent play.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dexter a hard hit 2 out single and enjoy the experience Redbird fans, as you don’t see Mr. Greinke get knocked around like this often…..and now Wong bloops his second base hit on the day into short center in front of a charging Marte with Dexter cruising safely into 3rd. Let’s stay with the action shall we?

Knizner- Rolls out to 2nd to retire the sidem

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Go Cardinals!

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

O’Neil doubles again. After about four extra base hits all year, he has three in two days. Was it the early breakthrough by O’Neil that allowed us to break out?

See Carp. If you just hit the ball, good things can happen, like errors. Then, Munooz and Goldschmidt have some fun.

Little things win and lose games. Get a key hit, just one. Don’t K.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like your spirit, Wooster!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years