StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

This topic contains 59 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by EuroWolf EuroWolf 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (7-4, 3.51) vs. RHP Merrill Kelly (7-8, 4.03) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Will Smith and a possible trade, he blew his 1st save last night in Milwaukee. He was 23/23 but now he’s 23/24. Gave up a leadoff triple in the bottom of the 9th to Yelich and he eventually scored to tie the game.

And whats the odds that the Cardinals score at least three runs today?

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<And whats the odds that the Cardinals score at least three runs today?>

About the same as that they will score 10.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good to see that Minuteman has a sarcastic sense if humor also, It helps me alot! A lot of angst over last nights home opener. Seems like we play better on the road lately. Looks like when the team gets home they lose thier focus Too much going on back at the house? Must be nice to be making all that money! Until you aren’t. So looking for great things this year from some well paid but somewhat past prime veterans mixed with young, up coming talent. Only 4 hits last night. Giving up 3 runs in late innings won’t do it without lights out pitching which we ain’t got. Still looking to finish out strong, get focused tonight but up against RHP again (can’t find some lefties?) Go Cardinals!

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

The last 30 games hitting stats are truly horrific

Some low lights:

Bader is hitting .138 with 17 SO’s in 58 AB’s 1 RBI
    Goldschmidt hitting .190 with 28 SO’s in 84 AB’s 10 RBI
    Carpenter is hitting .204 with 17 SO’s in 54 AB’s 6 RBI
    DeJong is hitting .228 with 21 SO’s in 92 AB’s 8 RBI

best hitters in that 30 game period are:

Fowler is hitting. .269 15 SO’s in 67 AB’s 16RBI
    Wong is hitting .265 with 8 SO’s in 68 AB’s 7 RBI
    Munoz is hitting .355 with 3 SO’s in 31 AB’s 5 RBI
    Edman is hitting .278 with 10 SO’s in 54 AB’s 9 RBI
    Martinez is hitting 267 With 16 SO’s in 75 AB’s 8 RBI

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never know what to think of JMart. I think he is fine hitter, but not a run producer, and doesn’t have much power.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am hoping that Jose Martinez is dealt at the trade deadline. I am tired of his antics and his defense. As I’ve stated before, if he was hitting .340 with 25 hrs he would be easier to tolerate.

r/Esteemed Rat

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

J Martinez is a 4th or 5th outfielder/pinch hitter/DH who has been pressed into to much playing time b/c of injuries and non-production from other players.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And forgive me here Pugs, but the Cubs lead the Pirates 6-0 in the bottom of the 1st.

r/Esteemed Rat

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Cubs scored 7 in one inning. Cardinals won’t score 7 all weekend.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

No clue why Munoz doesn’t start more….hitting 355 in the last 30 games, he is no worse than o’neal And Martinez in the outfield who are both butchers out there

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Nice to see Knizner is getting the Carson Kelly treatment. I expect him to be traded in the offseason since he can’t get a start in St. Louis and has to split time in Memphis with Joe Hudson nowadays.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Ozuna makes Martinez looks like Bader as an outfielder. Munoz is not a very good defender at any position. Range limits him at third. Limited at SS by range and mistakes, little errors. Range at second is limited. Wong and DeJong do cover ground.

One of the problems that we have with little-used players: BB/K ratios

6-24 Wieters
    2-17 Munoz
    4-30 O’Neil
    1-12 Edman

Molina isn’t all that good on BB/K.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I’ve always kind of liked Jmart despite the goofiness and wobbly defense. I don’t mind trading him if we can get something better in return. But I don’t see much point in trading him just to get another .250 hitter who makes a lot more money. I wonder, have his defensive miscues actually cost us any games this year?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I think Martinez has improved on defense. The worst we have in the OF is Ozuna who seems lost on a lot of fly balls. No great plays in left, also weak arm. O’Neil hasn’t stepped up to show anything yet. One HR and 3 doubles in about 70 AB? Fowler is hit or miss on both offense and defense. Some good stuff. Some bad stuff.

We really have only one option, jettison Carp. The fact that he is costing money can’t be an excuse. We are losing that position whether he is here or not. We aren’t going to get a $1 million per year player out of a $14 per year contract. So. Do you just put off the inevitable? Is that what we do these days? Trade him for a vacancy.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Big two-out double from O’Neil in the five spot. 2-0.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We were on a record pace of 18 runs after the first inning.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Current actions remnds me of a favorite Star Trek episode, “And the children shall lead”, O’ Neill bangs a homer to right!!

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

O’Neil having his best night of the year. Had four extra base hits this year. Adds two and four RBIs.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the Cards have considered giving Carpenter an eye exam. This is, of course after the FO has their head examined for giving him an extension.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to the broadcast, before the game, O’Neill told an 11-year old who is a Make A Wish guest that he would try to hit a homer for him. Mission accomplished.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow, Tyler O’Neill doing the Babe Ruth trick of homering for a sick kid. That is awesome!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I understand the frustration with Carp but let’s be realistic. There is a 0.00 chance he will be traded anytime soon. It will not happen.

Unless Bill DeWitt hires Jerry Dipoto tomorrow and suddenly decides he doesn’t mind eating big contracts it will not happen. Can we please move onto the next topic?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Supposedly, Texas may be a suiter for Carpenter’s services. Thoughts?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha was warming up in the bullpen earlier in this game. That should give us a clue as to who is in the rotation and who isn’t. I would say Ponce is in, which is good news.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years