StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, what is the source of the Texas rumor, please? Once I know that, I will gladly share my thoughts. Thanks!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, that is the first I have heard of that. Again, I would be surprised if a team would be interested in a 33 year old hitting.215 and owed over $40M. I just can’t imagine Dewitt would authorize Mo to eat enough of that contact to make a trade possible.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, pitchers also throw between starts, so Wacha could have just been getting his work in.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That could be it but if Wacha were to be chosen over Ponce I suspect Shildt would get flooded with questions.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be nice to hold on and win this game. The Cubs won but the Brewers are down 2-1 in the 8th so we might have an opportunity to inch closer to 2nd place.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are other options. Six-man rotation, a rotation by Ponce de Leon giving a different starter a start off each time through the rotation, a tandem with PDL and Wacha paired taking turns starting, etc. (This also assumes Wainwright is going to be ok very quickly.)

FWIW, I think you may be proven right and Wacha moves to the pen, but we shall see.

P.S. Shildt is flooded with questions every day. If fear of media inquiry affects how he manages, he shouldn’t be an MLB manager. (Also, you can bet your house that Mo/Girsch are in the discussion before any rotation change is made.)

Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp has struck out four times tonight. Yikes.

Hopefully CMart can nail this game down in the ninth.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just got home and turned on the broadcast…good game for Tyler O’Neill. Cmart with two Ks to start the 9th and trying to finish it off.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a winner! My kind of game…I just got to see the finish of a win. Lol

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to get the win tonight. Depending on the Brewers game we might move closer to second place.

Player of the game is Tyler O’Neill who homered and drove in all four runs.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Good win! Hudson gutted it out when he was struggling, O’Neil had a big game and Martinez looked great closing it out! They need to rinse and repeat tomorrow!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards win one for Preston Dobbs. Jim Hays even obtained the O’Neill’s HR ball from the family who got it for the kid. In the interview, the family seemed like great people.

Golden sombrero night for Carp — six Ks in the last two nights since returning. Considering this latest info, maybe he doesn’t need to lead off, but Shildt already had plenty of data available that suggested Carp might not be the right guy to set the tone for this offense. If Carp continues to lead off, Shildt ain’t even trying.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You have to love the family from Iowa that was willing to give up the home run ball for nothing in return!

Participant

Free

Good team win! 7 hits and O’Niels bug night. Congrats to pitching staff! Go Cardinals!

Participant

Free

The only possible reason that I can see that the Rangers might be interested in Carp is that their third baseman is 32 and is not any better than Carp. They have a one-year deal with Cabrera who has not been a hitting star either, nor a gem in the field. He is coming off suspension after throwing a glove at the umpire. They may think they have enough hitting and power to cover Carp, and they would have at least some cover for third base. They might want Carp and a right handed hitter like Martinez since they have so much left-handed power. I would hate to give up Martinez. They might also be looking at a Wainwright, thinking they have a shot at the playoffs this year. He might give them one or two years. I wouldn’t give a starting pitcher away, or even a prospect. They have nothing that I want.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Regarding Carpenter, he seems to be someone who struggles with the mental side of the game, for whatever reason. I could easily see him becoming a good hitter again with a change of scenery. I wouldn’t trade him just yet though, or at least not til sometime next year at the soonest.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt acknowledged in the postgame that Ponce is in the rotation right now.

He didn’t say that Wacha wasn’t but I think that would be a reasonable conclusion.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry gentlemen. Just having fun with Scotty’s request to cease and desist with the trade Carp rhetoric. But it does look as if Carp is going out ala A. Craig.

Nice win and a great game by T.O. Not to rain our parade, but without T.O.’s heroics, our offense would have once again been nearly nonexistent as far as the scoring ledger is concerned. Hudson has surpassed Flaherty as this team’s most reliable young starter. It would be a tough call, but if we were starting post season play now, I would have to go with this rotation:

1. Hudson
    2. Mikolas
    3. Ponce
    4. Torn between Waino or Flaherty.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It is time to start referring to Carpenter as Matt Karpenter. The guy is just lost at the plate. He lets a lot of hittable balls go, and misses too much when he does swing.

Can’t throw well enough to play third. Just a bad mix right now – Karp and the Cardinals that is.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That’s pretty good bikemike. Or maybe tonight it should be KKKKarp. I didn’t watch all the game, but he made the two or three plays hit to him in the field that I saw, but those throws do look high school-ish. He’s got some serious launch angle on those tosses across the diamond.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Carpenter may loop them over there but he seems to always have just enough to get the runner. His range and instincts are not great. He is extremely streaky. I thought just before his extension that we played it perfectly. But those extra years were a horrible idea I thought then and looks proven now. With the comment about his mental toughness…I hope the rest of the crew picks it up and he turns into the guy that can really pile it on that he has been in the past

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals K leaders, 2019

O’Neill 41.9%
    Bader 27.5%
    Carpenter 25.7%
    Goldschmidt 25.7%
    Wieters 24.7%
    Fowler 23.2%
    Team average 22.3%

Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s enough strike outs to choke a horse……and any championship ambitions this team has or had. Just thinking out loud here as who may have had the fewest K rate all time…. probably Wade Boggs would be my guess at about a 2% clip. I’ve forgot the particulars, but I once heard an astounding stat concerning Boggs and his lack of swing and miss’ during a long stretch of time this one season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals K leaders, 2019

O’Neill 41.9%
    Bader 27.5%
    Carpenter 25.7%
    Goldschmidt 25.7%
    Wieters 24.7%
    Fowler 23.2%
    Team average 22.3%

While he’s probably always going to strike out more than we’d like, it should at least be noted that since he got more regular playing time, his Ks have crept slightly down and walks slightly up. While they are still far from ideal, my concern is that Tyler will get Carlson Kelly’d soon and that two years from now, some team has a fine 4 WAR outfielder at our expense while we lament “another terrible Mo deal.”

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think O’Neill will get better on making contact as he plays more. He has a compact swing, and is quite athletic. And for that short stroke he packs a punch – definitely the type of player you want to give regular playing time to and make sure he gets a chance.

Carpenter has struck out too much to be your leadoff guy. You want more contact and speed at that spot. He does walk a fair amount, almost too much as he seems to approach an AB from the standpoint of taking a lot of pitches, rather than being aggressive with balls in the zone.

I would put Wong at the top, and have him bunt once or twice every game.

Goldschmidt has been the single biggest disappointment on our club, with Carpenter and Mikolas close behind. To sum up the season so far, the veteran big-contract guys have not lived up to their billing, and the young guys have not matured enough to fill in the gap.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years