StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 91 thread: Sat 7/13 vs. D-backs

This topic contains 59 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by EuroWolf EuroWolf 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

I think Carp is from Texas and played college ball at TCU. Got to be disapointing to be so streaky. Just wonder if hes seeing the ball right now. When hes on he follows the ball all the way in. Someone here mentioned the Rangers have some left handed hitters available? I’m fine with his defensive play, he is a baller but right now we gotta get the offense going.Need some new salsa! Go Cardinals!

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

As long as the Cards can hover at .500 and stay inside of 5 games of the division lead, anything can happen.

Carpenter, Molina, and Wainwright are pretty much done.

The biggest question I have is: Do the Cardinals actually have young core players to build around or are we looking at a complete teardown and multi-year rebuild?

For 3 years I’ve been saying I’d love to get the Cubs GM and manager. See what they could do over a 4-5 year period.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Would love that duo in St. Louis too, ZTR.

The more posts I read in this thread, the more I believe that you guys may be correct….Carp just may land in Texas before the calander flips over to August.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I too am a bit disappointed in Goldy but I also think his defense has saved us a lot of misery too compared to what was manning 1B before. Carp has always been known as the ‘milkman’ milking for walks. As as consequence he tends to watch center cut strikes go right by and swing at the trash for strike 3. The #1 leadoff position has been a dead zone this season and many have been tried there. The rookie has done the best there but Carps return seemingly has put the rookie back on the bench. Perhaps that Golden Sombrero that Carp came up with last night will convince Shildt that Edman deserves some more playing time (in Carp’s place). Yeah you gotta pay him but you don’t have to play him if you are interested in wins. But I will bet he is starting again today. I am also guessing that Andrew Kinizer (sp?) will be starting also to keep Wieters a bit fresh.

I do see Goldy and Mikolas coming around enough to help the club but Goldy has always been a strikeout guy. He had a big hit stolen last night by Dyson but then Dyson had a big hit stolen by Dexter so I guess that evens it out.

The motormouths in the booth were really on a criticism kick of the whole team until TO hit that double scoring two runs. Then they sounded like the Cards were WS champs. I am really disappointed when they concentrate on the negative so much. It is what it is but Danny Mac loves to preach a sermon on it. He actually thinks he is managing from the booth like his buddy McCarver. Home team announcers don’t normally stay on the downer stuff constantly like this crew does.

Prayers for Bob Gibson. That was a BALLPLAYER in every respect. His stats put today’s crop of pitchers to shame.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know MM3 I guess we all hear things differently. I can’t imagine the Cardinals broadcasters could demonstrate any more homerism than they do. I understand that is part of the job but I don’t hear a lot of objectivity. What is even more annoying is that a majority of the time they aren’t even talking about the game. That is probably reflective of the team’s excitement level.

The only one who will sometimes be critical is McCarver. I guess he figures that at his age they can fire him and he wouldn’t care.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Agree gscottar, the Cards’ broadcast team are Pollyannas for the most part. Not surprising, they know who writes the checks. Last night, McLaughlin did seem to drift from his normal sentiment and was more suggestive on how the team could and should improve.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So some think the announcers are too critical and others think they show too much homerism. Got it.

They are essentially team employees charged with generating excitement and increased ticket sales and TV ratings. Is anyone really confused about that?

It doesn’t matter though, because fortunately, we are all critical thinkers. As we watch the games, we can draw our own conclusions without being told how to think.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Is anyone really confused about that?

Well, the two most recent posters who said they’re homers were very clear in stating it’s their job. Did you miss that?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two posters do not equal the entire audience.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Well, I thought you were responding to the recent posts since there were no other comments about the broadcast team being homers or overly critical in this thread. I don’t think I’ve ever commented on the announcers before as they are usually just white noise to me. I found it interesting to comment in this case because, while I generally see the broadcast team more like gscottar rather than MM3, I did think they (McLaughlin mostly) were being more critical this particular game.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years