StL 2019 Game 88 thread: Sat 7/6 at Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 88 thread: Sat 7/6 at Giants

This topic contains 74 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

9:05 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (5-8, 4.34) vs. LHP Madison Bumgarner (5-7, 4.02) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Update: Day corrected.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

https://redbirdrants.com/2019/07/06/st-louis-cardinals-arozarena-next/

I suggested this the other day. Maybe Bader needs some ABs at Memphis about now. What do we have to loose?

Drop Justin Williams from the 40 and get Randy into Busch.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So would you make Arozarena the regular center fielder now? He is mostly a corner guy who can also play some CF, not unlike O’Neill in that aspect.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Bader will be the 4th OF going forward, maybe getting the occasional start against a LH pitcher. At this point he isn’t much more than Peter Bourjos.

The pecking order for our minor league OF’s is very interesting. I am curious as to how that will shake out. O’Neill is trying to get things going now and I hope he gets the opportunity even after Ozuna returns. Thomas didn’t get much of a chance but I think he is talented. Randy has been red hot lately and I wouldn’t give up on Williams and Adolis-Garcia yet either. I think Williams could be a dandy 4th OF and he hits LH. Adolis-Garcia just oozes talent. If he can ever master the strike zone watch out and he has a cannon for an arm.

Then of course there is Carlson lurking down there.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s really unlikely the Cardinals will make a move with 2 games left before the break. But if they did, I wouldn’t drop Williams. Despite his injuries, someone may claim him. How bad is Williams injury? ALso doesn’t Williams have 2 option years left?
    There are others like Robinson and Urias that could get outrighted with low chance of losing them. And if you did lose either of them it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree C27. Williams can still be a valuable piece going forward. Hopefully his latest injury isn’t too severe. He reminds me of Curt Ford, who had a couple of nice years for us as a 4th OF in the late 80’s. Justin is a little taller though.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Minor correction Brian but this game is on Saturday not Sunday as shown in the thread title. Saw that Lane Thomas was released from Memphis. Wasn’t he one that looked good in ST. And isn’t he the one that is a bit older than most AAA guys?

Sure hope that Mikolas has his good stuff tonight (the last of the dark-o-clock games for this trip). Maybe Madbum will be giving Mo a tryout……LOL.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Relief pitcher Tommy Layne was released from Memphis recently.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

… and cue BikeMike to show up to discuss Lane Thomas and Thomas Layne…. 😉

MM3, thanks for the tip on the day. I corrected it above. Things are confusing enough without me adding to it.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know there is a lot of time, but who are the remaining prospects needing to be protected? Woodford, MOntero, Arozarena, and Fernandez? And Carlson does not need protected? Knizner and Edman are off the list, since they have been added. Especially after Wieters, Waino, and Wacha file for free agency, it seems like there’s enough space to do most of these adds.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Bader and his hustle, and used correctly, I think he can be a valuable player…but he’s not trending toward being a starting CF on a championship level club unless your lineup is stellar. I agree with Brian that Arozarena is probably a 4th OF type and guys like Williams, Thomas and Garcia are probably in the same boat as backups or injury replacements. Longer term I think an OF of O’Neill-Bader-Carlson could work if the infield stays strong and Tyler can bring his strikeouts and walks more in line with his minor league numbers. If not, maybe they are going to need to sign Ozuna or another outfielder, or perhaps convert a guy like Montero, who may have the bat and the arm to fill a corner spot.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When the pipeline slows, there are fewer tough protection decisions, as you illustrate, C27. Last July, a number of trades altered this landscape somewhat. Also, this is the last September before callups will be limited to a total of 28 active players. In other words, many changes are still ahead before this coming off-season. Not a major worry of mine right now.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<… and cue BikeMike to show up to discuss Lane Thomas and Thomas Layne…. 😉>

My screw up was bigger than yours Brian. Thomas Layne as everybody but me knows. Thanks for the correction.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Great to hear theres prospects for the outfield. Hitting seems paramout lately. Oniel and Bader both have good power. Bader has great defense just needs to spray it more. Remember not long ago we traded a whole bunch of 1 year guys to get pitching. They all ended up well established players on other teams. Most of the pitchers we got struggled and were gone the following year. Doesn’t seem like high dollar free agents and 2nd life pitchers is paying off. Cardinals stregnth has always been the farm system so it seems to me having that AAA guy ready to step in is a huge asset. Thats where Martinez came from. The power is back we just have to utilze it Keeping good pitching will always be a problem due to the exertion it requires. Great to see us whacking the ball again. Go Cardinals!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

This is another one of those Left Coast night games that’s much too late for me. Let’s hope that while I’m sleeping the cards are hitting.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

It isn’t like O’neal has been much better if at all than Bader at the plate at the majors and Bader is 100 times better cf than anybody we got on the roster.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

There is an impression that O’Neil is more of a hitter, especially power hitter, than is Bader. I have seen nothing at the Major League level that justifies that. IF you look at their power numbers and their at bats, there is a lot of similarity. They both hit about the same for average. Bader is down a bit this year, but he was higher last year.

The 59 White Sox won with Jim Landes. The Dodgers won for years with Willie Davis. They were relatively weak links at bat. Davis, like Bader, could out run balls and catch them. Often led the league in errors, but was also a six to eight time Gold Glove winner simply by how many he got to. I like having Bader in center. I wish he would strike out less. But, he makes himself useful when he does hit. A single often gets a runner to third after he starts playing on the basepaths.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals simply employing a little “tough love” with Bader. They know he’s the man. Very sorry to see that CardinalinFrance will be counting sheep in the south of France this evening while we all count Redbird runs. Anyone else going to be surrendering a little beauty sleep and game threading it tonight other than your’s truly ? Just had din-din…… mozzarella and onion smothered steak subs, garlic red roasted potatoes, deviled eggs and Oreo four layer dessert. Rat is mysteriously quiet……new woman in his life? At the Dubois County Bombers game? Out for an extended cruise in his new 540i? Staying for breakfast, lunch and dinner at his Amish restaurant?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Remember Diz said:

“There is an impression that O’Neil is more of a hitter, especially power hitter, than is Bader. I have seen nothing at the Major League level that justifies that. IF you look at their power numbers and their at bats, there is a lot of similarity. They both hit about the same for average. Bader is down a bit this year, but he was higher last year.”

We need to look at a larger body of work than just this season. I was surprised to see Bader’s career slugging is .400, but O’Neill at .455 is significantly better at the MLB level.

Minors career SLG: Bader .473, O’Neill .530. (Interestingly, both dropped about 70 points of SLG after moving up.)

So, yes, O’Neill is definitely more of a power hitter than Bader.

Having said that, I don’t think either has yet shown long-term viability as a major league starter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman & Jose with leadoff hits vs MadBum. DeJong goes fishing for one out of the zone and whiffs. Goldy, who owns MadBum, singles to left scoring Edman and just like that it’s 1-0 Birds. Tyler “Tip” O’Neill flys to MYaz in right….with Jose advancing to 3rd. Dexter (9-42 lifetime vs MadBum) strikes out swinging. 30 1st inning heaves for MadBum.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Edman blazes home from 2B on the Goldy single to put the Cards up 1-0 in the first. If he continues to get on base, that’s a spark the Cards need to maintain at the lead off spot. It just sets a tone that I think positively impacts the rest of the lineup.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has to regain some of his 2018 magic. Needs to toss a dandy here this evening.

MadBum hits the clubhouse…..is his evening in the books?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sandoval with the sac fly ties it at 1. Not a great start for Mikolas so far.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He’s ran into a little bit of bad luck but has caused some of his own.

Fights through it and it’s only 1-1.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years