StL 2019 Game 88 thread: Sat 7/6 at Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 88 thread: Sat 7/6 at Giants

This topic contains 74 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

I was going to say this before all this OF crap happened. Bader should’ve been in the lineup if anything due to a lefty on the bump and for his defense.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This outfield is terrible tonight — all three have looked so challenged. The 4th inning not going well, with a grand slam as a result of the amateurism in the outfield. This might be a game where you say “defense matters” after it’s over.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well this has been an ugly little inning. Defense has let us down.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

that’s what happens when 2 DH’s are in the OF ….

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

O’Neill muffs a fly ball in left and Slater hits the grand slam. Costly error. Still early though…for all us cup half full optimists out there.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Well lets hope some get a fire lit under some.

Mikolas is done for the night.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looking out over the bay rekindles memories of a trip to California we took when I was a kid in August of 1979. The 4 things I vividly recall was seeing Ike Godsey (store owner in “The Waltons”) come walking up these steep steps with his two white poodles in a park north of San Diego. Seeing Mork From Ork with a lady friend walk past me on the beach in Laguna Beach this one morning and then later that day, hearing on the radio that Thurman Munson had perished in a plane crash. Going to see “Escape From Alcatraz” at a movie theatre in San Francisco, then walking outside and just a few minutes later seeing the real Alcatraz out in the bay.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

We have firmly established why we play defense. Anyone get the message? Their pinch hitter hits a grand slam. Ours strikes out.

I still question why we use Webb.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Tyler Webb is a motivational pitcher for struggling pitchers.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

For our struggling pitchers or their struggling hitters?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Well. We got back the runs that Webb allowed. Why replace a guy who is 4 for his last seven at bats, five for his last eight PA, for a sub? Could have used Munoz as a pinch hitter if Wong had reached. Instead, we wasted Wong, who has been hitting lefthanders the past two nights. Think Schild.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Webb needs to be dfa’d

GACard
    Participant

Free

Baffling pinch hit for Wong too

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Webb is a bum.

It would be appropriate to lose 2-3 in SF and be .500 going into the break.

Team is a .500 ballclub! This is the MO of this team the last 3 years and no help but a bullshit bullpen guy. Remember Nicasio!

Basically bowtie needs to be fired and we need a veteran GM and manager in here who want spend smart money and win.

Oh and a VP OPS which I will get crucified for mistaking the GM for. Which we all know the puppet master.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar 858booyah.
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Ah, a sad Sunday morning. After reading this thread from last night I think I’ll skip the MLB-TV archive rerun today and spare y’all a rundown of a quite good dinner last night. May today be a better day on the bay.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Lots of folks like to badmouth Jose Martinez but I think his fielding has improved. There was a piece on one of the FSMW pre-game shows not long ago when it showed Willie McGee and Jim Edmonds both working with Jose on his fielding. You could see quite a difference in the next few games. I guess it depends on whether you want a .285-.300 hitter or a plus defender. Not long ago that choice was made with Matt Holliday and not many were advocating for his trade to be a DH. I’ll take Jose to stay. He brings more than a big bat and a small salary. He is a Madbum killer too……LOL

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Baffling pinch hit for Wong too>

The post game story says Wong had a tightening calf muscle due to the HBP earlier. Edman may start at 2B today and Yairo will take 3B. Sorry to see that they are practically guaranteeing Carpenter a start after the break. I would let him pinch hit first to see his new magical swing…..lol.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, last season Oquendo worked with Martinez every day at first. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is hard to fault Shildt because we have too many one dimensional players. He didn’t construct the roster.

Our offense had been struggling for weeks so he decides to play guys with a bat. Then those same guys make misplays in the field and we scream for him to play the guys who can field but can’t hit.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had players who could both hit AND field? That is above Shildt’s pay grade to fix.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I don’t see the Cards on TV often, living in DFW. But, it does appear to me that Martinez has improved defensively. He is no longer lost on fly balls, and his arm isn’t bad. Right now, he is definitely not our worst outfielder. I don’t know that I have seen anyone in left field that knew where the ball was headed.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Right now I would much rather have Martinez than not have him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CIF, good vibes from France as the USWNT won the World Cup in Paris.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Hoo-ray for the American women. They roared through that World Cup Tournament like a locomotive.
    P.S. Actually they won it in Lyon, not Paris.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Actually they won it in Lyon, not Paris.

Now that’s something to roar about!
    Jose Martinez is an athlete. I see no reason why he cannot become as graceful as a swan out there in right field. Even if he doesn’t catch the darn ball, at least he should look stylish in the attempt. Right now he still looks timid and leery….and that just can’t occur at this level. I sometimes wonder if he’s out there thinking “Oh God no….please please do Not hit the ball in my direct….look at Bader over there, lord….he’s itching for it”. I know some big clumsy football lineman have taken ballet classes to improve their form with success, so why not Jose? I’d sprinkle in one of those etiquette classes too while they’re at…..where Jose would learn to walk around the bases with one of those tea cups sitting on his head.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Jose Martinez is an athlete. I see no reason why he cannot become as graceful as a swan out there in right field.>

How many 6’7″ swans do you know that play the outfield. Combine that with swans who have a very bum knee that has been told the next time it is injured the career is over. I don’t blame him for not diving and I would say each of his steps is about 3 of mine but if my knee had been reconstructed with a menicsus from a cadaver I would be respectful of the poor dead sob who made the donation and not wreck it on a baseball field. I have to admit – I like Jose Martinez but he didn’t help much today and I sure wish he would get a few inches closer to the plate

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years