StL 2019 Game 87 thread: Fri 7/5 at Giants

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 87 thread: Fri 7/5 at Giants

Viewing 17 posts - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    GACard
    Participant

Free

We need a like button for posts. Any way we can do that Brian?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards scored in 5 of 9 innings, three of them being crooked numbers. If they can start doing that more than once a blue moon, then 3 walks in the first inning won’t ring like a death knell. If this keeps going well in the near term, what does Shildt do when Carp returns?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Ah, what a great start to my day! Get up this morning, check the box and see the bird bats have been doing their duty. Must have been that Friday night goat cheese and green pepper omelette that did it. Unfortunately there was no ice cream left in the freezer so I had to settle for a blueberry yogurt.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What an entertaining thread to wake up to. Well done bringing home the victory, folks!! Let’s hope this is the beginning of the offense waking from its slumber.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pugs, unfortunately for Gallegos he wont even see arb 1 money until 2022!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

GACard, I agree that would be a good feature, however, as far as I know, this software does not have that capability. I will check that, though.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Aw once again the value of TIVO. Allows old geezers in mid-America to watch West Coast games with a cup of coffee in the am. Speed watching with the 30 second advance button takes out a lot of McCarvers BS as well as mound visits. Card in France – I recommend one for you.

As for the game – great but Hudson needs to find a new way to start the first inning. He had the potential of getting blown out of the water.

Most nervous Card – Matt Carpenter. You don’t really think Edman is going back down do you? Even Tyler Oneil is showing signs of a great desire to remain on a team that flys everywhere. I only hope they don’t play Carp as a show of pity. If he plays he must show he deserves it.

Not much mention of Yadi sitting out two games but watching him shake that thumb recently gives us a clue as to the problem. Is he hoping to get well over the AS break? Hell of a position to play with a bad thumb. I must have sympathy sickness. Woke up yesterday with a thumb that hurts badly. Mostly in the joint so in my case it is probably arthritis. Yadi has a different cause.

Bullpens: Is ‘Oracle’ (formerly AT&T) now the only park in the majors that does not have enclosed bullpens. The old story that the architects ‘forgot’ to incorporate bull pens doesn’t really hold water. Surely if Wrigley can create enclosed pens the Giants can match them.

Sure like those special caps all teams are wearing. May have to seek one out. GO CARDS.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I really enjoyed watching that one last night. Unlike our good friend MM3, I enjoy McCarver’s bantering. Especially when he rekindles names of those old guys, Dick Groat, Curt Simmons, Ray Washburn and the like. Takes me back to those relatively innocent childhood days when us kids would collect baseball cards of those guys – course I still do that. In fact my cousin and I are attending another National Sports Collectors convention in Chicago in about 3 weeks. I will be in St. Louis for about a day and a half as well, and hope to take in a Cubs-Cards game as they are playing then.

We may want to stick with this lineup for a few games and see how it goes. I might hit them in a different order, putting Wong at the 2 spot against a righty. Edman and Wong at the top would put a lot of pressure on the defense with that speed. Then go DeJong, Goldschmidt, Martinez, Fowler, O’Neill, with Molina or Wieters at 8. If O’Neill hits a little there is not an easy out in that group.

Bring Bader in for defense late, although Dex looks pretty good in the center garden. But you don’t want Jose out there late in games where a lead is narrow.

Hopefully Mikolas can step it up and keep us in this one today.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had to settle for a blueberry yogurt.

My eyes aren’t exactly misting up with this news as judging by CardinalinFrance’s other described delicacies, his blueberry yogurt in the south of France has to be much more exotic than what we get here in America’s Dairyland. Though our cows here are a heck of a lot better than what they trot out to the pastures in France ….. I wonder how they even say “moo” in French? Probably something fancy smancy like “moiumoiay”. Those French cows are probably as cocky as they come, but when it comes to producing milk, they most likely take a back seat to America’s hard working lot.

Didn’t know that about Gallegos. Thanks Carioca! Gallegos sure has made the Voit trade much more palatable. Matter of fact, by the time it’s all said and done, we just may end up getting the better of that particular transaction.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I just finished watching a rerun of last night’s game on MLB-TV, which of course was mostly wonderful with a much needed win, but it also illustrated something that always irritates me – that is guys who stand at home plate or walk to 1st base while admiring their home runs. In this case it was Fowler and in the end it wasn’t a home run, and because of his lack of hustle became a needlessly close triple. On the other hand, I appreciate Fowler’s mini-revival in other areas and in the end there were no negative consequences.

As for French cows, Mr. Pugsley, they go “meuh,” which I can’t even begin to write phonetically.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Random thoughts after last nights game:

1) Fowler is our best hitter in the 30 games with 5 homers and 17 rbis. Ozuna has 11 rbis, although he has been on the IL for a bit.

2) Overall, Hudson has been our best starter, and Gallegos our best reliever. Who would have thought that coming into the season?

3) Edman has been a spark plug, and needs to play every day.

4) Flaherty has had a sophomore slump. If there were any options, he should be sent down to the minors to regain form and confidence. But there is no viable replacement.

5) Speaking of Ozuna earlier, the current lineup is what it would be if we let him walk. It’s seems a little scary that O’Neill has fared only okay during his recent left field stint. I would have liked to see Thomas get a chance. Perhaps now Ravelo will get a chance. Our lack of consistent offense has increased the chances of a push to resign Ozuna. I am on the fence on this one. Carlson’s readiness in 2020 is key, as O’Neill will be in his 3rd option year.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wow, great to see Dexter had a great night last night! Wong, Goldschmidt and Edmund too. Martinez jacking one! Just great news. 13 hits almost everyone hitting! Keep it going! Oh yeah Pugsley I didn’t make the pumpkin soup but I think they used pumpkins and I thought French cows made mayonaise? But I was wrong one time before! That was a long time ago though.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Eastcoaster here but I got thru the 9 innings. Hudson toughed it out after that ~~shaky~~ start. I hate those games when we score some runs in the first and then nothing the rest of the way. This was not one of those. Let’s see if we can continue the momentum and somehow stumble into first place.

A lot of red in the stands.

NLC is weird and wild stuff – the fabulous Johnny Carson.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bullpens: Is ‘Oracle’ (formerly AT&T) now the only park in the majors that does not have enclosed bullpens. The old story that the architects ‘forgot’ to incorporate bull pens doesn’t really hold water. Surely if Wrigley can create enclosed pens the Giants can match them.

MM3,
    I believe the Giants are going to eliminate triples alley next year and put their bullpens out there. They will have a two-tiered bullpen like some stadiums have.

I hope they don’t myself. I like to watch games in SF because of its nuances.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you guys that in a perfect world Carp should grab some bench time but we all know that money talks. The Cards owe him 14.75M this year and 18.5M the next two years then an option year. If history is any indicator he will not be on the bench much. Maybe Tommy can start a few games at 3B against LH’s and get a few starts at 2B also. Can he play the outfield?

Speaking of the OF it is good to see Fowler pick up the pace. I suspect we will see him in CF a lot more lately. Bader is going to be relegated to late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<I believe the Giants are going to eliminate triples alley next year and put their bullpens out there. They will have a two-tiered bullpen like some stadiums have.

I hope they don’t myself. I like to watch games in SF because of its nuances.

r/Esteemed Rat>

I was thinking the same thing last night about triples alley – what a great place for a double deck BP. About the only nuances I see in SF are in the stands. Reminded me last night of my North Dakota days. People wearing parkas. I didn’t see the Panda fans in the stands or did Boston not trade them back to SF?

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I don’t know that the salary owed to Carp is as important as the cost to having him in the lineup. Is there a correlation between his absence and a resurrection of the offense? I don’t know how meaningful these stats are, but it is interesting who the Card leaders are:

WAR
    2.8 DeJong
    1.9 Wong
    1.6 Fowler
    1.5 Ozuna
    1.3 Bader
    1.0 Goldschmidt
    0.8 Edman

1.5 Gant
    1.0 Wainwright
    0.9 Gallegos, Mikolas

Viewing 17 posts - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.