StL 2019 Game 82 thread: Sat 6/29 at Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 82 thread: Sat 6/29 at Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because one earlier game was postponed until later, this will mark the midpoint of the season.
    9:10 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (6-3, 3.36) vs. RHP Chris Paddack (4-4, 3.18) Fox Sports Midwest // MLBN // KMOX

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ozuna to the IL due to the injured fingers he sustained in Friday’s game on the pickoff. Cards lose their only run producer for at least 10 days. O’Neill had been doing better recently at Memphis. I guess he gets the call?

David
    Participant

Free

It really matters not who is called up, eventually they will fail under the leadership of Schildt. And no pitcher will have cont success with Yadi calling the game. Yes I said it. Yadi is one of the top 5 greatest def catchers in history but I wouldn’t put him in the top 10 of today’s game.
    Anyhow back to deadpan or Schildt as he signs his checks. As like many Cardinal fans, I thought change would be good after last years sub par start. Although I was more about getting rid of Mabry than MM but after our late surge last year I thought perhaps this is a good change. I was wrong. Schildt s lack of leadership quality was proven last September. His lack of confidence in his 5 starters to is obvious.
    Bottom line is until we get a manager with leadership quality and A catcher that is able to adjust with today’s game and not rely on video from 5 years ago from a now aging ex all star. Last year when Yadi was out for a couple weeks, they brought in Pena and some other catcher. The start ers Era was under 3.00. The 2 weeks after Yadi came back, the era was over 5.00. I guess they were just missing their pitches for those 2 weeks.

David
    Participant

Free

I understand Yadi is a god in st.louis and will always be respected and admired and I agree with that but so will Lou Brock, and bob Gibson, but it doesn’t mean I want them on my rotation or outfield now

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminds me of the old Musial joke. I don’t have the numbers right but the story is close to accurate.

Q: Stan, against today’s pitching, what do you think you would hit?

Stan: .280

Q: Just .280?

Stan: Well, I AM 80 years old.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the serious side, catcher’s ERA is considered far more of a curiosity than a credible stat. I can’t even find the 2019 numbers. But if Francisco Pena was close to that much better than Molina defensively, he wouldn’t be the journeyman he is.

David
    Participant

Free

I also understand that our hitting has been more the problem than our pitching. Yadi is still an elite catcher and calls good games but he’s not as good as he used to be. All the homers we have allowed isn’t always from bad pitch location.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On that point, we agree. If the pitcher hit his location on the pitch Molina called but it gets thumped, Molina certainly shares the responsibility. Because that is not always easy to ascertain, the pitcher takes the heat 99.9% of the time. But this is the same everywhere in baseball, where home runs are being hit at a record pace in 2019.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Tyler is called up I hope he gets to play everyday. It will be a big audition for him. He could be a trade chip or this could be a preview of our OF next year.

David
    Participant

Free

In no way am I saying that Molina has lost it and should never start a game nor even be our everyday catcher although I can see from my previous post how that could be construed. But I think Yadi can be a great teacher and has so much to teach and who better for a younger catcher to learn from than one of the greatest of all time. Instead of calling all these journeyman catchers, or aging catchers, give our young catchers a chance like maybe a couple starts a week or during inter league games on the road and have Yadi play DH. You can only learn so much from watching from the bench.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Molina or anyone else on this team gets a contract extension I will scream.

David
    Participant

Free

I would like to see an outfield of Thomas, Bader, and, O’Neill with an infield of Munoz, DeJong, Wong, and Goldy. At least for this year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team needs a shock. They have been stuck in the doldrums for far too long. Kind of reminds me of our team prior to the Lackey trade. The FO tried to rattle some cages.

Goldschmidt, among others, needs to step up. That is what we got him for, right? Carp needs to start hitting, or ride the bench more often.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Anybody watching the London Series today? I’m getting a giddy feeling thinking about the Cardinals playing there next year. I wonder what 15 pitchers they will bring with them?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

BW: Seems I read that joke somewhere long ago as a Ty Cobb line. On the other hand perhaps they’re both apocryphal.

David
    Participant

Free

Last year after 80 games we were 42-38, 5gb. We are very fortunate that our struggles have coincided with the Cubs and Brewers struggles. This could be a season where under 90 wins will win the division. Although it may be anti climatic in how these 3 teams get there, it is shaping up to be quite a finish. I don’t foresee any of those 3 teams running away with the division because even if one team were to go on a mini winning streak, the other 2 will follow suit.
    I would like to have a game where we score in 5 different innings even if it’s just 1 run.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

David
    Participant

Free

Would Schildt dare put Thomas, Edman, ONeill, and Munoz in the lineup?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 3B
    2. Jose Martinez (R) RF
    3. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    4. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    5. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    6. Dexter Fowler (S) CF
    7. Yadier Molina (R) C
    8. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    9. Dakota Hudson (R) P

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lead the Reds 5-0 in the 8th. Baez a grand slam

r/Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the look of that lineup tonight. Call it a hunch, but I think that bunch could put up an 8 spot. Hopefully Hudson can keep pitching well.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, Baseball Reference, has info on ERA by catcher. Go down to Player Advanced Fielding and you can sort by ERA.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Shildt is finally taking my advice in batting JMart second but he completely the rest of my lineup. I’ll take it, though.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Edman leads off the game with a HR. Next three make outs. Okay Hudson, there’s your run — go get ’em.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we’ve found our leadoff hitter….if Shildt doesn’t start feeling sorry for Carp and insert his veteran back in there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.