StL 2019 Game 79 thread: Tue 6/25 vs. A’s

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 79 thread: Tue 6/25 vs. A’s

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Following Monday off…
    7:15 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (4-4, 4.24) vs. TBA FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

14NyquisT
    Participant

Is Hudson becoming the most underrated pitcher in the league? He should be a candidate for the organization’s Pitcher of the Month.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hudson has been solid, but the organization’s monthly awards are for minor leaguers.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Piscotty should get a nice round of applause tonight. His trade has helped both teams and his family situation also. A tip of the hat to Mo for making it happen.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It seems to me like Flaherty throws too many easy takes when he gets ahead. Against good hitters, that eliminates the advantage gained by getting to a pitcher’s count.

Even though he lost last game, he showed improvement in this area against the Marlins, especially in the middle innings (2nd time through). I guess that’s why he was able to go 7. Of course the Marlins are a bottom feeder offensively and the A’s are middle of the pack, but let’s hope he continues building the efficiency. Lord knows the pen needs any help they can get with the recent bad news.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    2. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Jose Martinez (R) RF
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Dexter Fowler (S) CF
    8. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    9. Jack Flaherty (R) P

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I wish they would move DeJong down in the order until his bat comes around again. Maybe switch Molina and DeJong. I really wish it was:

1. Edman 3B
    2. Wong 2B
    3. Goldschmidt 1B
    4. Ozuna LF
    5. DeJong SS
    6. Molina C
    7. Fowler RF
    8. Bader CF
    9. Flaherty P

Maybe even put Edman at 2B and Munoz at 3B. Bat them #1 and #2.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you here Forsch. Edman and Munoz should play everyday until further notice. The offensive results couldn’t be any worse, although the defensive results might be worse.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Even a strong supporting fan such as me can recognize that maybe this lineup is not working. Shildt knows more for sure but it is not looking good when the pitcher outhits the #1 batter. I would hope that someday MCarp could be tried in another position in the lineup (or on the bench). Jose is looking very decent in RF. Fowler is not looking that great at the plate. So……………..

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I was about to say that Martinez did not look great at the plate in June until I see that he is actually hitting over the last 10 days. I would be OK with Martinez in RF and hit him at #5. Move the others down a spot.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I always like to see Martinez’ bat in the lineup. I don’t have any stats to back it up but I don’t think his defense is any worse than Fowler’s.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only thing I can figure is that Carpenter jokingly told his skipper that if he ever took him out of his leadoff spot, he’d kick his A from Busch to halfway to Wrigley……..and Shildt took him seriously. What else could it be????

David
    Participant

Free

I have another theory Pugs. Schildt makes out 2 lineups… 1 with carp and 1 without. Carp gives schildt some of his special salsa which he made just for him. Schildt feels a little sleepy and decides to take a nap and when he wakes up, the lineup without Carp mysteriously disappears.

David
    Participant

Free

This past weekend was special but glad it’s over. The day off was well needed. Looking for Diamond Jack to have a big game 7ip, 1run, 4 hits, 12ks. Cardinals win 6-2 with 3 hits from Fowler including a homer.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jack is in need of the offense to show up and give him some support other than in the first inning. I’ll cautiously say that the Cards get 5 runs and the Athletics get 3. Goldschmidt gets two doubles.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If Shildt keeps this up, he’s going to make Bryant an honest guy regarding St Louis being boring, as in the “St Louis Cardinals are boring” — this lineup is Dullsville USA with Carp setting the tone at the top. They need a spark badly and it’s too bad the brain trust isn’t firing on enough synapses to recognize this.

Okay, let’s see if this works and leads to a 4-hit night for Carp.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t see what the harm is in allowing Edman to start at 3B and bat leadoff other than it could hurt Carps feelings and start the push of Edman getting more playing time.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, the Carpenter bunt didn’t work that time. Chapman is too good a defender for that to work much.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jmart is battling Bassitt fiercely. He just missed the double down the right field line. Bassitt has thrown 34 pitches so far this inning…and gets the K. It’s a game of inches and the Cards once again missed by only a few.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jack “Gopher Ball” Flaherty coughs one up to Matt Olson. 1-0 As.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like Fowler in center. Normally I would go with the better defensive player, but Bader just has not come on offensively like you would have expected, and strikes out a lot. Dex at least gets a hit or walk a game, and has made some good plays and throws in center.

Over the long run the position is still Bader’s if he can get better with the bat. Personally I would have kept Pham there and never dealt him, but water under the bridge – and maybe Cabrera will be a good one to have in a year or two.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am making Pecan Pie Brownies. Hope they turn out good. As soon as I hit Submit I am going to light up a cigar and have a Mt. Dew.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sounds good Rat, but do not forgo the regular doctor visits. You are retired now, so don’t get too carried away with the sweets, sodas and cigars. Life is all about balance, so it is fine to enjoy those things. Just keep it in moderation. We want you posting here in 2029.

Meanwhile, why don’t you have a picture of Whitey as your avatar? Inquiring minds want to know.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are fouling Bassitt off a ton. Unfortunately, they haven’t been able to push any runs across yet. Will the two light hitting bats in the lineup, Flaherty or Carpenter, be able to knock in someone?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cy Bassitt has our low powered Cardinal offense shut out thru 2…..A’s with a commanding 1-0 advantage.

Check that……I thought the A’s centerfielder had that ball, but he inexplicably hits the dirt right at the base of the wall and Carp will have himself a gifted triple…..2-1 Birds!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.