StL 2019 Game 73 thread: Tue 6/18 vs. Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 73 thread: Tue 6/18 vs. Marlins

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brebbia has been pretty poor lately. Guess this one is now out of reach.

David
    Participant

Free

That inning is finally over. Is a comeback in the Cards for the Redbirds?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On a good note the White Sockers are leading the Cubs 3-1 in the top of the 9th.

I am now going to light up my 2nd cigar of the night and flip back and forth between the Giants/Doyers and the Brewers/Padres.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Eloy Jimenez hits a two run homer in the 9th at Wrigley. That is poetic justice. The only thing that would have made it better is had it been against Quintana.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Almost as funny as Yamamoto being the throw in on the yelich deal. That deal has gotten the brewers at least 5 games in the standings on us this year

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty pitched respectably. He just ran into a buzzsaw in the person of Mr. Yamamoto. Yamamoto didn’t have me at “hello”, but it was pretty darn close. After seeing him pitch a few frames last week, you could tell that this kid was the real deal. Brebbia has been tailing off, which is disconcerting. This offense…..wait, can anyone really claim that our Birds actually have an offense? I don’t believe we can, so what do we call the Cardinal players who attempt to put runners on base and move them all of the way around the baseball diamond to score a run? We cannot call them “batters” or “hitters, as they do neither. John Mabry is not looking too bad in my eyes right now. Wonder if he’s still available?

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Cardinals #6, 7, and 8 hitter are 1 for there last 31…the 1 was a single by Molina on Sunday

Bader while good defensively looks like he is not going to be able to hit enough to be a regular starter especially in this lineup

David
    Participant

Free

I’m beginning to think that April was a fluke month. My apologies to Mr.Mabry. This offense or whatever you wanna call it is just laughable to opposing pitchers and embarrassing to Cardinal faithful. I keep looking for something but even in wins, its usually 1 or 2 innings that we score multiple runs but that’s it. It’s one thing to have a player or two going thru a slump but it’s the entire team and nothing I’ve seen make me believe we will turn it around. I hope. I wait. Get a little excited when they have a game they get double digit in hits and win, but only to be brought back to reality the very next game, or 2 or 3.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

There lineup is really a mess, if you just look at batting averages and runs produced from 1-8 it may be one of the 2 weakest lineups in baseball…I would think to turn that around they will need at least two new bats to add to the lineup, and one has to be a leadoff hitter, b/c it is painfully obvious Carpenter cannot be the leadoff man hitting in the .220’s,

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One rare bright spot is Cabrera looked dominating n relief. I say send down Webb, and add Fernandez. Not sure who would leave the 40 man, but I’d lean toward Robinson being outrighted once he leaves the IL. Robinson is behind Edman and Sosa in the pecking order.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Or you could outright Webb, if this is his first time.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Give Ravelo a start. And Flaherty has got to cut down on the longballs. Although the second one was not a terrible pitch. However. ideally with a 2 strike count it should be buried in the dirt, and not catch the bottom of the zone.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

And the website keeps pressing us to vote Cardinals onto the all-star team! Yeah right.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Cards have turned the Yelich trade into the deal of the decade for both teams.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Can you say P? P as in PATHETIC. Yes friends it was Pearl Harbor redux at Busch Stadium last night and, once again, the leader of the attack was a guy named Yamamoto. The best way to beat him is to buy him from the Marlins. Wouldn’t he look nice in the Cards SP – a young Chris Carpenter without the attitude.

I can picture Mo hitting Gyorko in the leg with a bat and then saying “Oh sorry Jed, you may need to stay on the IL a while longer so we can see what Ravelo offers. I am confident that Jed is on the trade block this year.

It appears that Cincy is the only NLC team to win last night and they beat the Astros for the second straight day. So another of our chances to pick up a game has passed by.

Goldy has always been my favorite this season but while Goldy is a great defensive first baseman he has yet to show what was expected of him – hits in critical situations. I still have hopes that he will get ‘hot’ the same as some other dreamers think MCarp will get ‘hot’.

Well we still have two more to go with the fish before arrival of the great God on Friday. To make him happy we are offering Wacha as our sacrifice to the God. Nuff said.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Bader while good defensively looks like he is not going to be able to hit enough to be a regular starter especially in this lineup>

Agree 100%. Bader seems to have a definite problem with pitch recognition as he seems prone to watching center cut pitches and guesses wrong on what else is coming. Lately he is the perfect example of the blind squirrel finding an acorn every now and then. Were it not for his defensive abilities he would be in AA. As it is, he is truly a #8 hitter.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do wonder about Bader. He has not progressed on the offensive side like he should be with regular work. As mentioned, he should be jumping all over pitches he lets go by, then swings at stuff that only a Mike Trout can square. Bader is another guy who needs to bunt at least once a game, and bring his speed into play more.

Although he has dominated us twice, it is fun to watch Yamamoto pitch. He shows what you can do if you have location. His style is similar to Greg Maddux – he had Cardinal hitters so frustrated they were beating themselves. He got into their heads, and when you do that you have won the battle.

Maybe he can be the real deal for them and give the few Marlins fans around someone to cheer for. That organization has had it tough, with the Fernandez tragedy and a history of mis-managed operations. They are sort of a latter-day Philadelphia Athletics. Connie Mack ran that organization into the ground a couple of times, and they never recovered from the second one.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The only thing I have against Yamamoto was his treatment by the umpires. The strike zone was pretty wide. Our pitchers get squeezed often, and they are not rookies. Some umpires can make the strike zone look like a thimble, and I would like to see Yamamoto pitch under these conditions.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The problem the Cardinals have is they basically placed their bets on several high salary veterans and those veterans just aren’t delivering. They are paying $93M this year to Molina, Goldy, Carp, Fowler, CMart, Mikolas, and Wacha and all of them have been a disappointment. When seven of your core pieces are vastly underperforming it is hard to overcome.

I don’t have a problem with Ozuna. He is basically giving us Matt Holliday like production, although the average could be a little higher. DeJong is giving us what we expect from him. I also don’t have a problem with Wong and Bader because they bring so much more to the table than offense they are both still very valuable. Even Andrew Miller has pitched pretty well the last few weeks.

The real culprits are the seven I mentioned above.

Yadi hasn’t been terrible but he isn’t giving us $20M worth of production.
    Goldy has been a MAJOR disappointment. He doesn’t even look like the same player as he was in Arizona.
    Carp’s numbers certainly don’t merit his salary and certainly not the extension we gave him. (sigh)
    Fowler has been discussed ad nauseum here. At this point in his career he is basically a poor man’s Jon Jay.
    Mikolas is wildly erratic. He will have a good outing then follow it up getting hammered and can’t last five innings. His home/road splits are startling.
    CMart hasn’t pitched terrible but we have received a total of 11.2 innings for $11.7M.
    Wacha has been an unmitigated disaster this year and should be DFA’d.

Due to the contracts of these seven players we are stuck with them and the Cardinals can’t or won’t just spend wildly like the Cubs and Red Sox to overcome these mistakes. All we can hope for is to add another pitcher or two and hope that these underperforming players finally step up and play like they are capable.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s fairly depressing, gscottar. A few of those guys (Goldy, Mikolas, Cmart) certainly can’t have been expected to give so little value. I would also suspect they will rebound to various degrees and be worth something close to their salaries going forward. Goldy should still be a plus player, Mikolas at least an average starter and Cmart if not compromised physically can be a good starter.

The others…we might just be stuck with. Carp had the great half season last year but streakiness is often the first sign of a major decline. I hold out some hope for a return to the .850 OPS guy he’s always been, but this year that just feels like hope and hope alone. Fowler and Molina are what they are…average-ish hitters for their positions. Fowler provides below average defense and Yadi above, but when you throw in base running, you have similar value players. I’d like to say Yadi still is plus in the leadership and mentoring department but I’m not so certain it’s the case anymore.

Anyway, all this would be more palatable if our youngsters were shouldering a reasonable part of the load. Reyes has provided nothing, Flaherty has regressed, Bader is stagnant at the plate, and really only Hicks and Dejong of the young players has seemed to improve from last year. It doesn’t bode well for the future.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.