StL 2019 Game 62 thread: Fri 6/7 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 62 thread: Fri 6/7 at Cubs

This topic contains 61 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:20 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (4-5, 4.41) vs. LHP Cole Hamels (4-2, 3.62) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just give me one win this series and i’ll be happy. That’s all, just one win.

But I am afraid that……….

r/Esteemed Rat

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We got swept and had a bad month, it coudl all happen again OR maybe our sweep ushers in THEIR bad month…if we go in and win this series or crazy at may be sweep them again, it coudl trigger a run for us and the opposite for them

nevertheless, it will be an interesting test for the Cardinals…

Season series is tied…both teams winning all their games at home…who bends first?

We could very easily be right back at the top of the Central by the end of this series..with a little help from Brewers losses…

If we can stay within one good series of 1st place while the bats figure themselves out i think we will be fine…

we just cant have another month like May…

should be fun, even if potentially excruciating

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Good points there Jager.

And remember, the Cubs have a tough week coming up next week. Three games at Colorado and then four games in Los Angeles with the Dodgers. They could go 2-5 next week.

Just one win this weekend series. Just one. That’s all.

r/Esteemed Rat

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

The most interesting stat I saw during today’s game was the won/lost record of the Cards against all the other Central Division teams. All were dead even at either 3/3 or 5/5. I guess today’s win will tilt the record with Cincy to our side by one.

Many here seem to assume that Ozuna is gone in 2020. I would not be so hasty on planning that.

I can take it if a guy strikes out swinging with runners in scoring position but my favorite player (KW) did it today by looking at strike 3. Nothing happens until the ball is put in play so swing the darn bat unless the pitch is an obvious ball.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Mikolas can duplicate his efforts from last weekend. It is becoming obvious that this team is going to have to win with pitching and defense. Wrigley Filed is a hard place to do that. We need the offense to show up.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We got Hamels here. A lefty that doesn’t throw real hard. That already shut us down last week in St. Louis. Mikolas will hang his curveball a few times in this one and it will get hit hard. Our only chance in this one will be if the wind is blowing in. I am afraid this one is going to be a 7-2 Cubs win.

And then we have to face Madd, I mean, Hendricks on Sunday night. He’s been shutting everybody down for the most part.

Friday 7-2 Cubs
    Saturday 6-3 Cubs
    Sunday 7-1 Cubs

Carpenter, Goldfinger, Wong, Fowler, Ozuna, their bats will remain quiet and we lose all three. I hope I am wrong.

r/Esteemed Rat

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

people thought we’d get swept by the Cubs when they came to town too

no reason to assume the worst until you see it happen IMO

If this team has shown us anything it is that you have no idea what version of the team will show up, for individual games or ABs, or even months

Dave
    Participant

Free

Good day fellow buddies of a Cardinal nation. Who’s ready for a Cardinal victory today? I know I am
    Top 3 predictions
    1: Carp will Homer
    2: MM will go @ least 6
    3 : we will have an inning we score 3 or more runs.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp’s homer will have to be a pinch hit shot but I will take it.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Surprised he’s not in the starting lineup. He’s had success against Hamels over the years.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ugh…

Dave
    Participant

Free

Smh

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I tuned in just in time to see mikolas allow another home run. I knew I should have stayed away. gonna be an uphill battle today. but at least its early

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The two strengths Mikolas had last year, low walk and home runs allowed totals, have not been so good in ‘19. Both of those combine for a quick 2-0 deficit in this one.

Especially walking the lead off batter in a game – not at all the way you want to start a big series.

Dave
    Participant

Free

0-2 pitch, MM maybe should have wasted a pitch and thrown a slider down and away, Baez has been known to go after those much like Ozuna does for us.

Dave
    Participant

Free

Good point BicycleMike.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hamels is getting all the calls so far. Mikolas did not get two good pitches called that led to that leadoff walk

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

good at bat by bader. wieters has been struggling lately. he was hot for a while but he was never that good of a hitter so I didn’t expect him to keep it up. but maybe he can come through here

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was about to complain about Fowler being in the lineup against a lefty, but I went to Baseball Reference and see his career average against lefties is .289. That beats his pedestrian .262 career overall average.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not watching, but hoping MIkolas is pitching inside frequently. You have to back the guys off who are diving over the plate.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bats seem silent yet again….doesnt something have to change?

Dave
    Participant

Free

I try to stay optimistic about this team but it is hard at times.

Dave
    Participant

Free

How many times have Cardinal hitters started 0-1 or 1-2? And I don’t mean just this game but for the season.
    I get working the pitcher but why not be a little aggressive and go after the first pitch. You never know, try something new. Because obviously taking the first pitch isn’t working

Dave
    Participant

Free

Well one of my predictions didn’t come true as MM is out of there. Hopefully he’s okay but I wouldn’t mind seeing someone else make a start or because MM is obviously not the same pitcher as last year. Does anyone know how Deleon, Reyes, and Gombers are doing?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years