StL 2019 Game 56 thread: Fri 5/31 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 56 thread: Fri 5/31 vs. Cubs

This topic contains 114 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (4-5, 4.76) vs. RHP Yu Darvish (2-3, 5.40) FS Midwest // KMOX // WIJR // Facebook

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s an interesting matchup from the standpoint that each of the three games seems to feature similar pitching matchups…Game 1, the scuffling vet with the big contract…Game 2, the big acquisition vs the young gun, and Game 3 the aging once Ace who’s trying to hold onto time for a bit longer. St Louis is in a place where emotions are nearing the boiling point and they can’t afford a home series loss against the hated Cubs or things may get really bad.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Danny Mac brought up the comments made by Kris Bryant over the winter. Will Cardinal fans give him the business over the weekend? I thought he apologized, said things were taken out of context, and the issue was forgotten.

Guess time will tell.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The whole Bryant thing was blown way out of proportion. It was a joke. If Cards fans want to be mad at the Cubs it should be for kicking sand on our face the last 4 years (yes I know we won the season series in 2018 10-9 but little good that did us).

As for tonight’s game this should be a winnable game for us. Darvish hasn’t impressed at all in his tenure on the north side. I will be disappointed if we don’t score at least five on him. Hopefully Mikolas and the bullpen can take care of the rest.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Because the Cards have been a contender for so long the outside media is making note of their ills this season… May in particular.

This is from Matthew Leach of MLB. He calls the situation “weird” and “strange”.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/national-league-reset-redbirds-rendon-bell

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This is from Matthew Leach of MLB. He calls the situation “weird” and “strange”.

Hmmm, bad home run luck according to Leach. Yep, they’re so lucky that when they hit the ball, it goes over the fence, and when we hit the ball, it doesn’t. Reminds me of the McCarver line about Gibby being so lucky because when he pitched, the opponent rarely scored many runs.

Or maybe it’s not making decent pitches when it matters most. A Wacha meatball to an unknown 29 year old backup catcher who had never homered in his MLB life immediately after intentionally loading the bases comes to mind. I guess that is weird.

Another weird thing. I have a feeling the Cards take this series.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is from an ESPN Q&A.

The Cubs and Cardinals square off in St. Louis. When the teams met previously, St. Louis had the best record in the National League at 20-11. Since then, the Cards are 7-17. What gives?

Matz: The offense has been all or nothing, with a heavy emphasis on nothing. Take away the three games in which they scored double digits, the Cards are averaging less than three runs per contest during their recent stink-a-thon. Pretty much everyone not named Matt Wieters is slumping. The back end of the rotation hasn’t been good, and neither has the bullpen. But other than that, everything’s hunky-dory in the The Lou.

Miller: They’re 0-7 in one-run games during that stretch, which can make a team look (and feel!) a lot worse than they actually are. I’m not saying they’ve played well — and seeing over-30 hitters such as Matt Carpenter, Yadier Molina and Paul Goldschmidt in various states of decline is especially worrisome in this youth-centric era — but it’s not as though they’re being dominated every day. This still looks to me like a competitive team that could post close to 90 wins.

Schoenfield: Maybe this is just who the Cardinals are? They won 88 last year, 83 in 2017, 86 in 2016, missing the playoffs all three years. One year it’s the bullpen, one year it’s the defense, one year it’s the lack of power, last year it was blame Mike Matheny. It’s always something. Maybe the front office just isn’t building a good enough team. This year, it’s not so much that they have bad players who are weighing them down, but only Paul DeJong is really having an exceptional season (although he’s hit poorly with runners in scoring position) and the starting rotation has been extremely homer-prone. At this point, they’re counting on a bunch of 30-somethings — Molina, Carpenter, Goldschmidt, Adam Wainwright, Andrew Miller — to improve, and that might not be realistic.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter back to leadoff with Goldschmidt staying at no. 3.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Darn it, I was hoping to see Knizner starting.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t count on it, C27… My guess is that while Molina is out, Wieters will play as often as Yadi did.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Our backup catcher hitting 5th???

Uh, Mr. Shildt, you and Bell from the Reds need to either come see me or go see Whitey Herzog about how to put a lineup together.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This game should not even be close. I’m calling this one 9-3 Birds with DeJong finding the cheap seats with bat in hand. What’s for din-din, Esteemed One?

P.S. IMPORTANT PROGRAMMING NOTE:

Tonight’s PBP action originally scheduled to commence at 7:02pm(cst), has been pushed back to 8:13pm(est). We profusely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Go Birds!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Diplomat or honest assessment? (We can all predict how the responses will go…)

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Darn it, I was hoping to see Knizner starting.

Sunday or Thursday might be the best bets.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the Cards get to Darvish tonight…7-2 Redbirds. Knizver with the dagger, a pinch hit two run double in the 8th.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs?

Tonight its going to be simple bologna, or baloney as I call it. I’ll light up a Palma Real cigar when the game starts and after its done about the 5th inning i’ll heat up the baloney and have a little ketchup and mustard with the three remaining slices of Thick Bologna. Then some French Vanilla ice cream and a Baby Ruth candy bar for dessert. Then afterwards another cigar whilst I finish the game and watch the Phillies and Dodgers from L.A.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who is getting honked because he is getting hosed over by BMW and the BMW dealership on his deal for his new 540i

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Ratsbuddy Ratsbuddy.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course FSM has to do a big segment on the “Bryant comments.” Good grief. Danny Mac can be such a drama queen sometimes.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 1. “Whirling” Darvish toeing the rubber for Chicago. Five consecutive no decisions for the cubbie right hander. First start ever vs the Birds.

Carpenter – Bat showing signs of life of late after being lost in space all season. Walks….sweet start!

DeJong – Carp to 2nd on a wild pitch…..that pitch was so wild that they should have awarded Carpenter 3rd base. I don’t know which pitch was wilder….this one by Darvish or that one by that young lady who was throwing out the game ball at a game earlier this week that found it’s way smack dab into the camera man’s lense.

Goldy – 0-9 lifetime vs Darvish. Hits it with authority to right, but Hayward has plenty of room and he hauls it in as Carpenter will advance to 3rd.

Marcell – Hits it in the air to routine right and this may be fun….Heyward gloves it and here comes Carpenter digging for paydirt……..safe!! 1-0 Birds. Heywards throw was right on the money but just a titch too late.

Wieters – Grounds out to 2nd.

Cards 1
    cubs 0

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet sweet munchies, Rat! For all of our young posters, who one day may also indulge in a Magnifico cigar like the one our Esteemed One enjoys, his choice tonight of smokery ( Palma Real ) is not pronounced as it looks. It’s pronounced “Palma Reeealll”. And Rat, DO NOT PUT UP WITH ANY SHANANIGANS FROM THAT 2nd rate BMW outlet…..let them know who they’re dealing with!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bottom of 2.

Dexter – Busted out for his 0-19 slumber yesterday. Rolls a weak grounder out to Addison Russell at 2nd, scoops her up and flings it on over to Rizzo’s waiting mitt at 1st to retire a surprisingly hustling Dexter Fowler.

Wong – Grounds it out to Russell at 2nd and he’ll retire Wong with ease….2 down.

Bader – Pops it up on the infield just in fair territory behind the bag at 1st…now Rizzo drifts a few feet into foul turf and he has it to retire the side.

Cards 1
    cubs 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Darvish has us no hit thru 2 frames. Hopefully this will jinx him and he’ll surrender a boatload of hits to us next inning.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years