StL 2019 Game 56 thread: Fri 5/31 vs. Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 56 thread: Fri 5/31 vs. Cubs

This topic contains 114 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Nice 5 hit win.

Lets win the series. Baby steps people.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I got in to see the last couple of innings. solid pitching tonight from what I gathered. still not great hitting but we got the win and two in a row. now we get to start a new month. would be nice to begin with a win.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Nice and very much needed victory. IIRC, Carps hit was the first hit from a leadoff batter since Carp was moved out of the leadoff position. I don’t remember Fowler or Wong getting any leadoff hits.

Trivia: Noticed that the little white box disappeared about the 5th inning. Was Fox MW fooling with us or did they have a breakdown?

More trivia: Also have noticed that ESPN now uses the old FOX MW center field camera position directed over the pitcher – great shot of plate and the pitchers head DOES NOT interfere with the box. Now FOX MW is using the position that ESPN formerly used to the right of the pitcher. Wonder which Big Fox will use tonight.

And once again…..motormouth Horton has been told that it is a sin to have a moment of silence in a baseball announcers booth. Thompson is much worse but Horton seems to be vying for the title. My kingdom for Jimmy Ballgame full time.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I noticed Bernie ripped Edmonds the other day, calling him ‘a management-paid, management-planted “analyst”’. Well yes, that is pretty much what they all are. Expecting something else is not realistic.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Baby steps people

So very very fitting, Booyah!! Makes you wonder if maybe the entire Cardinal roster is being tutored from the teachings of quite possibly this world’s finest psychiatrist, in order to get them out of their 3 week slumber? I know that I have been referring to them for the past 25 years, with utterly fantastic results! I urge any and everyone to pickup the book “Baby Steps” by a Dr. Leo Marvin. I think they even made a wonderful movie about it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of Cubs fans (and Maddon) are whining about the non-strike call against Bader in the 10th. I don’t hear anyone whining about the non-strike call against Caratini in the 7th inning. Mikolas overcame that bad call and struck him out anyway.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Don’t know why they are whining. The white outlined strike box went out in the 5th and never came back so they are just pulling it out as their opinion and we all know that opinions are like a-holes and all stink.
    I thought that, overall, Laz Diaz did one of the better HPU jobs I have seen this season.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote:
    <I noticed Bernie ripped Edmonds the other day, calling him ‘a management-paid, management-planted “analyst”’. Well yes, that is pretty much what they all are. Expecting something else is not realistic.>

Management planted or not, Jimmy Ballgame is about the only one in that booth that has enough common sense to inform the fan of why something is being done or what a batter is not hitting, etc and he says it as he sees it and is right a lot more than the two motormouth ex-pitchers. I played ball for years and he still adds a lot of knowledge to the game for me. I sound like McCarver who constantly says “I didn’t know that.”……….lol

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also, Goldy got robbed of a lead off double in the 9th when the ball certainly appeared to go over the bag but was called foul. He then struck out.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The pitch to Bader was CLEARLY a strike. It was the difference in the game. Laz Diaz did us a HUGE favor.

The ball down the line by Goldschmidt was probably fair. Even the Cubs announcer said it looked “Fairish”

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<The pitch to Bader was CLEARLY a strike. >

Several folks say this but I wonder how they determined that with such conviction? The outline of the white strike box had been removed from the FSMW screen since the 5th inning. The CF camera in use was off to the right side of the plate. I guess all I am saying is that sitting in front of a 46 inch TV 250 miles from the play I had no clue as to what that pitch actually was. But I will admit that umpires are not perfect and those little white outlined boxes are proving that more and more every day. Just sayin.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

MM3,

There are other sources to get the “electronic eye” on balls and srtikes. The image below is off MLB Gameday. Pitch 6 is clearly inside the box. In spite of that, LOL at Maddon. Calls went both ways. If anything, seems like the cubs have gotten favorable treatment the last few years. So, I think (a) Maddon was PO’d and (b) primarily he was planting a seed for the rest of the series.

null

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy.
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Whatever. Sometime when things are boring take a close look at those boxes and see how well they match up with the batters actual position. Jose Martinez is a prime example where the top of the box frequently aligns with his belt and the bottom darn near with his ankle. So if Laz missed a call it would not be the first but in this day of legalized sports betting it would be one way for HPUs to make a extra bit of cash. One pitch in a crucial situation is all it would take. Been known to happen in basketball and football and I hated to see sports betting legalized by SCOTUS as it will only encourage that kind of thing. Sorry for the vent.

Just finished watching the end of the replay game on FS1 at 6:45 am on Sunday. I had TIVO set to record until 2 am on big FOX but I guess the ‘foxed’ me out.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Euro’s electronic eye image looks like the famed St. Louis Arch if one were laying face up along the nearby banks of the Mississippi.

In this league you gotta have the horses to compete. I think it’s becoming painfully obvious to cubbie fans that their boys are taking on the image of one of those old geldings ( castrated male horse ), who is only fit to carry small children around and around and around a small oval course for short periods of time.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

We got the bases loaded and didn’t strike out three times. Improvement. Won because some players made key plays, like a leadoff double by Wong.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years