StL 2019 Game 54 thread: Wed 5/29 at Phils

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 54 thread: Wed 5/29 at Phils

This topic contains 94 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Houstonlarry24 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edmonds’ kid almost catching a foul ball is the highlight of this one; that and the Wieters home run.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well ill be glad when this month is over. maybe the calendar turning over will spring something eternal. if not then this just may be who we are this year. might be a blessing. will make them see that we may have to make wholesale changes here not just add a couple pieces and hope you find magic in a bottle. that’s one of the issues with getting hot and coming up close last year. we hired the manager without really thinking it over and we didn’t really do anything big in the market thinking just small changes would cover that small ground. but sometimes when you think you are just this close, you are farther away than you think. but im gonna try to be hopeful cause we aren’t even halfway yet.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Another highlight as Brebbia gets a hit! Things are turning around!! 🙂

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh my……11-1. Anyone know when the first NFL game is this year?

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Win or lose, for me the Blues play so hard and so fast at this point it doesn’t matter. I never question their effort, passion, and toughness. I want them to win it all but if they don’t I’ll appreciate their effort and their demeanor.
    The red birds are the exact opposite…soft lazy, weak, and pathetic.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brebbia gets his first big league hit! It looked good. He took a pitch on the outside corner the other way. He didn’t appear to try to pull it or hit it in the upper deck, seemed mostly focused on making contact. I wonder where he learned that?

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And Brebbia comes around to score! Maybe he needs to be in the lineup?

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pugs, I thought you deserted us tonight. Group therapy was needed and a humorous anecdote or two might’ve helped. Perhaps a rehashing of when the mercy rule applies is in order. I always forget that, but know you have a good handle on it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Speaking of the Blues, Carp just picked up the hat trick.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, leave it to Carpenter to take an absolutely pathetic “swing” at a pitch in the dirt to do what he does best, strike out, and ruin the fun the club was starting to have with three straight hits up until then.

Weiters shows how it’s done though, with a double. Back to the rally….

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well if we can get some momentum here, you never know. too late for tonight but maybe get us going for tomorrow. of course carpenter swings at a horrible pitch and slows the roll. but hey, wieters is hitting. lets find a position for this guy.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Win or lose, for me the Blues play so hard and so fast at this point it doesn’t matter. I never question their effort, passion, and toughness. I want them to win it all but if they don’t I’ll appreciate their effort and their demeanor.
    The red birds are the exact opposite…soft lazy, weak, and pathetic.

Remember the blues were in last place in January and people were questioning some of the same things. Maybe we’ll get lucky and someone(s) gets the ax now and we turn it around in July.

This team is in the toilet! lol at Wacha following up the guy replacing him. Like no one knew what was going happen. Should’ve traded his ass like I wanted 3 years ago.

At this point someone has to go and soon. They likely won’t can Shildt until after the charity golf outing on the 24th. Which is how this team rolls and will be way too late.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great point, Euro!! Both the MR ( Mercy Rule ) and COD ( Calling Off the Dogs ) are two separate events that are class acts meant not to embarrass one’s opponent, who at the time are getting severely throttled on the scoreboard. It should be noted that only two ML teams are known to employ the prestigious MR and COD. Our St. Louis Cardinals and the Baltimore Orioles. Due to poor play by both of these fine organizations, it has been rarely utilized since 2011. The 1969 Orioles hold the ML record for MR’s (29) and the Cardinals for COD’s (33) in 1967.

* Both the MR and COD are prohibited to be put in use vs the Chicago cubs.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I am still trying to figure out why Cabrera was removed at 3 2/3 innings with two outs and one on base. I am beginning to think that Shildty is outfoxing himself. Wacha’s performance is probably the worst by a Cardinal pitcher that I have witnessed in my memory. Consider that I have only been a Cards fan since 2003 when I moved from North Dakota and my beloved Minnesota Twins (WS champs 87 and 91).

If any team is demoralized at this time it is the Cardinals. The Royals, Orioles and Marlins know they stink and live with it but the Cards are starting to smell their own odor.

Solutions:………………………None from me….those are above my pay grade. But a team that excelled in April and stunk in May surely must have the ability to make a recovery. GO CARDS.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I guess things could get worse. The 2nd place Tampa Bay Rays drew a home attendance yesterday of 6166. I assume they must be counting the ushers and ground crew judging from looking at the stands. But they won on a 9th inning walkoff and my nonfavorite player, Tommy (aka Fabulous) Pham is batting .299 and went 3 for 5. It must be the pits for a winning team to play in that s–thole of a stadium.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3 asked:

I am still trying to figure out why Cabrera was removed at 3 2/3 innings with two outs and one on base.

It appears it was pre-scripted for Cabrera to go through the lineup twice and then Wacha would come in. Further, the leadoff man McCutchen had reached base both times against Cabrera, so that is when they made the change. In the post-game, Shildt said he wanted to get Martinez’ bat in the game since they were behind. (Of course, he could have done that independent of a pitching change, but he used the double switch.)

I am not defending, but explaining my guesses as to why.

Personally, I would have let Cabrera go further. And as I noted during the game, if Cabrera had to be removed, I would have used a short man to get through that inning who was used to taking over with runners on base and have Wacha start fresh in the fifth. Still, as bad as Wacha was, they seemed destined to lose no matter when he came in.

IMO, Cabrera definitely showed enough to get another start, despite some impatient fans already calling for his demotion. His fastball was very good as was his change up, with the latter the most important improvement. That spot’s next turn should be Tuesday at home vs. the Reds (if they don’t skip over the spot due to open days).

philcron77
    Participant

Free

Outside of two walks to McCutchen, his only real mistake was to Harper and that happens to the best of them. In baseball, you can’t “pre-script” anything the game doesn’t work like that and it rarely rewards those types of moves.

I think Cabrera should get another start, it would be a shame if they sent down the kid considering Wacha and Fowler let the team down more than the kid did this game.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, Cabrera definitely showed enough to get another start, despite some impatient fans already calling for his demotion. His fastball was very good as was his change up, with the latter the most important improvement. That spot’s next turn should be Tuesday at home vs. the Reds (if they don’t skip over the spot due to open days).

I agree. I’m curious what was the motion that made his fastball so effective. A couple of his Ks were on pitches at eye level, and the batters just looked sily. His curve looked solid and the change was viable. I’d like to see some more.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the answer Brian. I suspected that was the reason but you could sure see a lot of sadness in that DR group in the stands. The kid did better than I expected and I would vote to give him another start. If they were trying to avoid him and Harper again, Wacha took care of that worry. I too wonder what in the heck has happened to Wacha. Reminds me of the downfall of Jaime Garcia a bit. One bright spot for sure is Wieters. I was a Francisco Pena fan figuring Wieters to be over the hill but I was wrong on that. Yadi is great but Wieters can fill that spot on any given day but they would never break the umbilical between Wainwright and Yadi unless Yadi had another family jewel problem like in 2018.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Thank GOD I did not torture myself last night with this team.

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years