StL 2019 Game 54 thread: Wed 5/29 at Phils

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 54 thread: Wed 5/29 at Phils

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m. Genesis Cabrera (MLB debut) vs. RH Aaron Nola (5-0, 4.53) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Cabrera throws a gem tonight but I’m still skeptical of how he got tabbed for the assignment. It seems like his last couple of outings for Memphis are outweighing everything else he has done this year. Let’s face it he basically had the worst spring training of any player in camp and at least the first month of the season at Memphis wasn’t any better.

I just get the feeling that the front office is going out of its way to try to prove that Cabrera justifies the Pham trade. It feels like trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Hey I hope the kid proves me wrong tonight.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I really hope we get back to a more traditional lineup tonight. Ours is about as bad as the Cincinnati lineup with Votto either batting 2nd or leadoff. Hows about this tonight:

Bader
    Fowler
    Goldschmidt
    Ozuna
    DeJong
    Molina
    Carpenter
    Wong

Carpenter is the albatross in this lineup since he seemingly cant hit anything anymore.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~~who gave the dealer the deposit this morning on a new 2019 540i BMW

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Dex is zero at leadoff. Time to shuffle the deck again? I don’t recall anytime in the most recent past when the whole team was in an offensive funk. Wong has dropped over 100 points in BA. Martinez is 0-16. Dex looks pathetic. Ozuna looks like Ozuna and Goldy appears to making an effort. Carp is just Carp – a lot of talk about he is close but close to what? Pivetta was the perfect pitcher to tee off on last night and it didn’t happen. Yes the HPU had a strike zone that was dugout to dugout but even with him being consistent the players could not adjust to that. Frustration is apparent among fans and players. Maybe June will bring showers and flowers cause April and May sure didn’t. Cincy is sniffing 4th place and you know who will be the cellar dwellers if they move up but I still say that the NLC is the toughest division in baseball this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Molina (injured hand) is sitting. Thomas sent to Memphis for Cabrera.

1. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    6. Matt Wieters (S) C
    7. Yairo Munoz (R) 2B
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Genesis Cabrera (L) P

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeJong is in a 0-18 slump also.

Since going to leadoff Fowler is 0-14, 7 strikeouts, 0 walks. In 17 PA’s he has reached base 3 times, all via hit by pitch.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s possible that it will be past by game time, but Pennsylvania has been hit by some very severe storms today. Some have even included tornadoes, and all have had very heavy rain. Philadelphia does not look to have been spared, or will get the brunt of it pretty soon. Could be a delay or cancellation depending on timing.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looking forward to this one tonight. Hope the storms and rains are minimal.

And I was on a snake hunt with the local police department today. I saw what appeared to be a 5-6 foot snake slithering across the city street. So I followed it until it went into the shrubs of an older red brick home. I then call the police. The Animal Control guy comes over and cant find it. So I finally spot it slithering around another corner of the house and it was finally captured.

Just all part of being a hero….

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~~whose new 540i BMW is coming from the Baltimore area

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar wrote:

“I just get the feeling that the front office is going out of its way to try to prove that Cabrera justifies the Pham trade. It feels like trying to force a square peg in a round hole.”

Let’s step back and think about this.

If Cabrera isn’t ready and is torched on the big stage, exactly how would that help the front office look better? If their motive is to make Cabrera look as good as possible, wouldn’t they debut him against a bad team at home instead of a first-place team on the road? (I don’t expect a rational answer because I don’t believe there is one.)

Nothing against you personally, gscottar, as you are not the only person to wonder about this. Still, it amazes me the theories people come up with when they are angry. Every move the front office makes will be viewed as wrong by some segment of the fan base.

Many of the ideas I am reading here on this board on what to do instead have a common theme to try the younger players. Yet when the Cards do that, ulterior motive theories surface, however illogical they may be.

Nothing they do is going to satisfy folks until they win again. Until then, lotsa venting and some shaky suggestions, IMO.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wasn’t venting this time. Just analyzing the decision of promoting Cabrera over others with better overall numbers, although the most recent numbers seem to be weighted heavier.

I am not always anti front office. When they make moves I agree with I say so and vice versa.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Philly weather is awful for the next two days including tornado warning until this evening. The rain last night was none too light at times either.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Like stlcard25 says, this game might be delayed or canceled. The Weather Channel shows a big pile of green stuff in the Philadelphia area and plenty more green stuff headed that way. Then again, it might be sunny and warm in Philly right now.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I understand, gscottar. I was not suggesting you are venting. Just check any of these game threads after a loss and the same people basically make the same posts every time. Nothing positive to offer in conversation. They are not here talking baseball with us now. It’s like the old nate cloned himself! 😉

If Cabrera has a rough outing, conclusions will be drawn about his entire career and the stupidity of the front office – from one game. If he does well, there will be crickets.

Regarding Cabrera over Ponce and Woodford, I laid out the numbers. If you like the guys who were better earlier, you take one of the latter two. If you like the guy who has pitched best the last two weeks, you take Cabrera.

To suggest it is a Pham reaction is, well I don’t want to be insulting, so I will leave it at I don’t think much of it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote:

“Many of the ideas I am reading here on this board on what to do instead have a common theme to try the younger players.”

Some of those ideas Brian also say to trade the current players when we try the younger ones as long as we trade for all winners. You know – Trout, Bumgarner, Scherzer, etc, etc. I am somewhat surprised to see the team that was doing so well go into a near complete slump involving on various days the offense, starters and bull pen. So far the defense has held the fort as best they can. I would have a hard time watching ONeil whiff , whiff, whiff, base hit, whiff, whiff, home run, whiff, whiff – etc, etc. But then some day this team has to come alive. What will it be that brings that about – Sauce, Cafe?ita (coffee), great walkoff, late comebacks? What I do not want to see is sinking to the bottom of the division.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And sure enough, we are in a Helitech rain delay. Dan and Jim didn’t say how long so who knows when and if this game will get started.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Phillies and Derrick Goold are anticipating an 8:30 est/7:30 St. Louis start, or thereabouts.

I am going to get my cigar soaked.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~~who was a hero today

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s get this one in. I like Cabby to handcuff these Phils tonight. He should walk out there on the hill with a pair of handcuffs in each belt loop, signifying what he’s going to do to these chaps tonight. I still think we are taking 2-3 in this series. And we all would be terribly remiss if we did not extend a double dose of congratulations to the Esteemed Rat tonight. First off, for his shrewd purchase of his brand spanking new BMW. I bet that salesman is still wondering what hit him after Rat walked out of there with the deal of a lifetime. And secondly for The Esteemed One’s capture of a very dangerous snake that had the whole city of Jasper confined to the safety of their homes until the serpent’s capture. Only one brave citizen dared venture outdoors, risking it all for the sake of the city. Esteemed Rat…..you’re one in a million!…..or make that one in ten thousand……whatever Jasper’s population is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Game underway at 8:44 ET.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Cabrera get squeezed in his first batter already. Two strikes were called balls.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He comes back and gets the K for his first big league strikeout.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now Dexter drops a pop up and it’s bases loaded with one out. That is demoralizing for a young pitcher to have to get extra outs like that.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler must have lost the ball in the lights, but he’s got to catch that behind a rookie pitcher in his first inning in the majors. After getting what should have been the third out, Cabrera gave up a single and the Phils are up 2-0. The runs are unearned, but they still count.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two runs score thanks to the blunder but Cabrera gets two Ks on 97 mph fastballs in his first inning.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An excellent 2nd inning for Cabrera…11 pitches, 9 strikes…3 Ks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two-run homer for Harper as the Phils lead 4-0 and Wacha throwing in the pen.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years