StL 2019 Game 41 thread: Sun 5/12 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 41 thread: Sun 5/12 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 72 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:15 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson vs. LHP Steven Brault Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX // WIJR

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Carpenter is currently useless and needs to be sat down. Especially against the lefty in this one.

I suppose we are counting on another hot streak from Carpenter like we got last year. He keeps trending downward and the only thing saving him is that hope for another hot streak. But, if that hot streak never materializes, what do we do with him?

Lineup for Sunday against Pittsburgh:
    Bader
    Goldschmidt
    DeJong
    Ozuna
    Martinez
    Molina
    Gyorko
    Wong

r/Esteemed Rat

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Watching Carp is painful nowadays. On some of his swinging strikeouts, his head turns on the pitch more than his hips and shoulders do. He’s lost.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp sure is lost in space, Euro. I thought he was getting out of his funk, but maybe Father Time has caught up with him? If this Brault fellow has himself a 30 pitch 1st inning, I think I’ll scream! What are the odds of a team’s starter both hurling exactly 30 pitches in the very 1st inning and then hanging around to pick up 2-1 victories in consecutive games? Pretty long odds indeed……one best meant for our good friend Skip over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

For Carpenter to start on the comeback trail, he needs to bunt to the left side of the infield at least once a game. Once he focuses on just keeping his eye on the ball and working on contact, it will start the process to bring him back to making more consistent contact.

The defense is giving him that left side anyway, so he needs to take it while he is struggling.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well the problem with carpenter is that he has been overvalued. ive always felt he is a solid player. if he was in a lineup with a couple of great players, he would be a real solid edition. but with the cardinals, offensively he has been their best consistent player which tells you a lot about what they have had on these teams during his tenure. show me some guys outside of Molina who is a catcher that they have had on the team during this time that you think could be a hall of famer, not cardinal hall, the real one. im not seeing any from 2012 to now. maybe goldy if he continues to put up great numbers though he needs to do better than he has been but even hes a question mark. plus he just got here this year so theres that. now maybe if the cards had went out and drafted or acquired a more natural leadoff hitter, he could have excelled at a more natural batting position and would have been fine. but didn’t happen. maybe time is catching up with him and hot streaks are all we are gonna get, hard to say.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, was it you who was longing for the days of single-admission double-headers? Granted, the opponent is the Marlins, which may have something to do with it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One of the elements of Shildt as a manager that certainly can be debated is his sticking with a set batting order through thick and thin. Based on the multiple ill-fated attempts in the past at batting Carpenter third, I don’t think his issues have anything to do with where his name is written on the lineup card.

However, what about the team? Having Carpenter lead off when hot is a boon, but is there a point when slumping that he should be moved down in the order until he heats up again? Just as important, who is better equipped to lead off? Not having a clear better alternative may be part of the reason he remains on top, along with his status as a team elder, I suspect. Other than DeJong, who is needed as run producer, Fowler (at .405), has the highest OBP on the team. Imagine the fan fury if that change was made and Fowler was asked to lead off?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

And… Carpenter gets the day off… Munoz in center and leading off – .385 OBP in just 26 plate appearances. Clearly they are going for offense over defense today.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why isn’t Bader playing more? I think his gold glove caliber defense makes up his shortcomings at the plate.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bader’s .200 batting average, I imagine. The team has scored just two runs in total over the last two games. My guess is that Shildt would rather have Munoz’ offense today than Bader’s defense. We shall see. When things are going badly, the ball seems to find the weakest link and the guys next to Munoz in the field aren’t going to be able to compensate.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Funny thing is if we had 2 key hits the last 2 games we could be talking a possible sweep. But alas, that is baseball.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d much prefer to see Munoz at 3rd and Bader in CF today. Bader, in limited appearances to be fair, has a .954 OPS against lefties this year. That’s not out of line with his ability to mash them his whole career though.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Why isn’t Bader playing more?

Bader’s .200 batting average, I imagine.

I hope that’s not Shildt’s reasoning, else he needs to do better. Somebody said a good manager puts his players in a position to succeed. Albeit SSS, but Bader’s splits last year and this year show he’s much, much better against lefties. This year he has 87 plate appearances, but just 19 against lefties. Somebody needs to open their eyes.

Edit to add: stlcard, I read your post after I posted the above and agree. I think Shildt is just begging for an outfield circus act to lose today’s game. Hopefully, we’ll pile up some runs early.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by EuroWolf EuroWolf.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I had forgotten that the Pirates starter Brault is a lefty. Bader has hit .267 against LHP this season, with the .954 OPS mentioned above. Though the at-bat totals are relatively small this season, he has traditionally had success against them. One could definitely wonder if Bader doesn’t start against LHPs, when will he ever?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is what I was thinking Brian. I figured it was a slam dunk that Bader would start today. A definite head scratcher for sure.

For those who like to study run differential we are ahead on run differential this series 19-8 but have only won one of the three games. Go figure.

We are 2-8 in our last ten games. Not much positive to talk about. Somebody needs to step up and take charge and get this team energized.

I have never like the way our lineup is constructed. I would prefer Goldy hitting third and JMart fourth among other changes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Hudson struggles again today I would implore the Cardinals to put Ponce in his spot. The small sample size excuse should be over. The season is 25% complete.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

According to Hummel Bader has a stiff neck, which is why he isn’t starting today.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

It’s already happening. This outfield not making plays and costing the Cards runs early must come as a shock to Shildt.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing, gscottar. That makes sense.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi hangs onto those kind of foul tips 95% of the time. This time he doesn’t, so it takes an additional 5 pitches for Hudson to dispatch Reynolds. Now JMart does a nice Bad News Bear impression as he allows a catchable ball to sail right on over his head resulting in at least 2 Pirate runs. So goes it for a struggling ballclub.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not sure Ponce de Leon is the answer, either. He is barely getting through five innings and walks remain a concern (4.4 per nine). Home runs allowed are up and strikeouts are down this season. While his ERA is 3.03, his FIP is 4.89. Gomber has been better, in my assessment.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Thanks for sharing, gscottar. That makes sense.

I made made my most recent post prior to this one without the knowledge Bader was unavailable today. Like I said, I hope Shildt had better reasoning. It still doesn’t explain the season long imbalance of Bader playing largely against righties.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, just a thought. Maybe they want to answer whether Bader can be a full-time player or not.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It doesn’t take a Crystal ball to foresee it being Brault’s fault when Pittsburgh loses this 3 RUN lead. Come on Munoz….get this started off right

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years