StL 2019 Game 41 thread: Sun 5/12 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 41 thread: Sun 5/12 vs. Bucs

This topic contains 72 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I’m not sure if it’s gutless players, a disastrously constructed roster, manager not putting players in a position to succeed, injuries, etc., but in the immortal words of Vince Lombardi, “What the hell’s going on out here?”

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

They are unwatchable.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team just makes no sense. I don’t get it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This team ain’t making the postseason for the 4th year in a row. It’s gonna be another 3rd place finish, or worse.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It’s a sad sad day.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

This team ain’t making the postseason for the 4th year in a row. It’s gonna be another 3rd place finish, or worse.

With a starting rotation and bullpen this bad, and for the bullpen that’s nothing new during this three year no post season funk, it was a pipedream to even think they would be playing playoff baseball. At what point does the GM/President of Baseball operations get fired. We are beyond questioning at this point. He’s blown over 77 million on the bullpen and gotten zero return. He’s got to go.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar TexasCard.
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Reynolds robs Martinez of a HR. It’s amazing that an OFer can actually catch something other than a routine fly.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

And there’s your game- 10-6 Pirates.

Ok, Mike and Mo, what’s the plan?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Ok, Mike and Mo, what’s the plan?

Hopefully packing their offices up. Mo has completely failed for a 4th year in a row to correct the issues plaguing this team. Time is up in my book. I don’t want him doing anything else. I know they are only 3 games out but this team is not constructed well enough to stay in it.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

At what point does the GM/President of Baseball operations get fired.

I’ve felt for years he was the Cards primary limfac for winning future rings, but admit I know little of the constraints in which he operates. Even in the post-2011 years where the Cards were serious contenders, I felt like there was an obvious roster hole or two each year that could’ve been filled to make the difference. He had his years, but all things considered, he has been stale for a while. Obviously, many don’t see it that way and he seems to be the teflon man. He was even smart enough to manage a promotion while others were getting the hook, when I thought he should’ve been on the same hot seat as the others. Tip of the cap to him for that.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Punched in the mouth three series in a row, without any fight it seems. I’m not sad that the blackout didn’t let me watch any of these games.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I’ve felt for years he was the Cards primary limfac for winning future rings, but admit I know little of the constraints in which he operates. Even in the post-2011 years where the Cards were serious contenders, I felt like there was an obvious roster hole or two each year that could’ve been filled to make the difference. He had his years, but all things considered, he has been stale for a while. Obviously, many don’t see it that way and he seems to be the teflon man. He was even smart enough to manage a promotion while others were getting the hook, when I thought he should’ve been on the same hot seat as the others. Tip of the cap to him for that.

Agreed Euro. I’ve more than seen enough. This is borderline crazy at this point. It’s the same damn broken record year after year after year.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I was at the game last year in July when the Reds outhit us 14-4 which became the deciding game in Matheney’s firing. We’re at that point again.

I listened to Mo’s interview today, and there’s no sense of urgency again, or even concern about getting back to winning games. CMart and Reyes are weeks or more from being effective pitchers and by then we’ll be 10 games under .500 at this rate.

But not sure what good it would do to fire the Director of Baseball ops at this point. The time to do that is in the off season, early November. Mo made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. Unfortunately, we’re in there with him.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

But not sure what good it would do to fire the Director of Baseball ops at this point. The time to do that is in the off season, early November. 

It would prevent him from doing any more damage to the franchise. This guy has been upside down way more often than not in recent years and is like a bad gambler when he appears to chance. Bottomline it’s time in my book.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point I’m trying real hard to think of anyone in this organization who should not be issued a pink slip. After all, it is the color of the day. But certainly there must be at least one salvageable person……a ticket agent? Somebody in marketing? If either Red or George were still with us, we would have our man. As a fan, what an awful feeling it is. Even though he is responsible for putting some of the pieces in place, it’s our owner who I feel sorry for. Spending all of that money…..and this is what he has to show for it. What a crying shame.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The sky is not falling yet, but things have sure turned since the Cardinals had the best record in the majors only 10 days ago.

The main issue is that our two young pitchers have not done as well as we had hoped. They are talented and will get better, but for now they are not able to keep us in games enough to be reliable stoppers.

Today the usually reliable Brebbia was not as sharp, or at least it looks that way in the box score. To be honest, I took a day off from baseball and worked outside listening to music. A bunch of my wife’s family was over for Mother’s Day, so I engaged with them, rather than pay attention to baseball . Good thing too – it was probably a benefit to my mental health.

Don’t lose hope yet people. This is a good club. Things will get back in sync. Cannot guarantee a playoff spot, but I think this is still a solid ball club.

However, we may need to check out Dallas Keuchel. A solid lefty in the rotation would be a huge help, if he is in shape and can step in by June 1st.

We might look at Kimbrel as well, although I don’t think I can take even 3/4 of a season watching him with that goofy set up he does where his right arm is sticking way out. That drives me crazy!

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Sorry- this is not a good ball club and the culture of this franchise is content with 3rd place or worse and looking up to better ball clubs that actually hit the ball and pitch in big series. The cubs- for weekend two in a row face a big series and they have shown up determined and hungry.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I’m trying real hard to think of anyone in this organization who should not be issued a pink slip.

Pugs, I can tell you that the senior citizen ushers at the ball park are fantastic and help create a true family atmosphere and enjoyable baseball experience for every fan. At least Mo got one thing right…!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great point, CardsRedSox4Ever! I should have clarified my rant. I in no way desire to see any of the hourly personnel lose their position. In truth, I don’t like to see anyone lose their job (salaried included) unless they really have it coming to them. BUT…..someone must pay for this misery and torment that this club has put we adoring and faithful fans through recently. Losing is never pretty, but the hideous fashion that our team is losing games is simply inexcusable. If we didn’t have such wonderful talent, you could let bygones be bygones with this bad stretch. Simply put, this team is not bringing out the best in their players….far from it. My fear is that this team has coaching personnel who just want to be friends of the players and not demand excellence authoritatively. Brian could give us some insight on that possibility.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the team can be the best in the league 10 days ago, and everyone is singing their praises, and then today they are being talked about as being terrible and unfixable and the season being over, then I think that sings more of the character of those sputing that rhetoric rather than the team itself.

The season is long.

You would think after the last 3 years where everyone seemingly hated on the team all year, yet EVERY year they were right there at the end of the year with a puncher’s chance to get in despite all the angst, everyone would chill out and realize a few bad days or weeks does not make the season nor definite it’s character.

The season is long, and every team loses games and has bad stretches. EVERY SINGLE TEAM

IF you only watch baseball to see wins, well stop, and go watch college football and watch Bama or Clemson whatever overly inflated self fulfilling sport where the game can be “gamed” so that the same teams win every year.

Baseball is great because everything doesnt go to plan, and that you cant buy your championships (all that often). You can’t give up on your team after a game or a week, and move on to the next thing.

If you want to be a fair weather fan baseball isn’t the right sport for you, at least not if you intend to watch every day.

If you expect them to win every day, or win every week, or never go on a cp;d streak, or for the manager to make a mistake, or for a player to miss an easy play….well, you are wrong, and you are insulting not only them but the game itself. Not only that, you even believing that is ok, is insulting your own intelligence as you should know better.

I dont like losses any more than anyone else. Especially because of dumb mistakes and decisions. But if a single loss, or bad stretch, or even bad season or two moved me even one inch off my love for the team i follow or baseball in general, then I have no right to be a fan of that team or of baseball.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Even when this team had the best record in baseball is was more smoke and mirrors than anything….the SP stinks….the bullpen is below average and the hitting is so hit and miss it is pathetic….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get your sentiment jager and it was well stated. The only difference I have is that I don’t view this as just a recent slide. It feels more like the culmination of the last four years. We are tired of just coming up short. Just coming up short numerous years in a row is fine if you are the Oakland A’s or Tampa Bay Rays but not the St. Louis Cardinals. Call us spoiled, entitled, or whatever but the fans of this organization have higher expectations. And what really grinds Cardinal fans (at least this one) is constantly looking up at the stinking Cubs in the standings. That is really getting old.

Is this season over? Of course not. We could get hot and storm back into first place. I think this team is plenty talented enough to do it but I also think the last ten days has served as a reminder of what the last four years have been about. If you look at it that way instead of just as a 10 day blip then everyone’s frustrations will make more sense.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Let’s not forget the Carpenter extension. While I’m sure he might get his ops over .800 at some point. That could’ve been done by simple deciding on if it was worth it in the off season and trigger his option year. Guy extended him like he’s some franchise icon or something. Now you’ll have 2 corner infielder and Fowler aging together hand in hand.

Madbum and Watson could help a bit but the feast or famine lineup at times needs to find itself or adding those 2 might not do anything at all to improve our chances.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years