StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PugsleyAddams 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

no gods of baseball other than Wacha’s bad pitch. He may be serving fries but Wacha made him a hero for a day.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Multiple base running blunders creep up for the first time. Goldschmidt should pick his moments trying to steal, and WTH was Carp trying to do going to third. Those plays ran us out of innings. But that being said, I CANNOT wait to play the Cubs again, and kick their butt……

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not so sure that we can take these guys a game, at any time or at any place, Cardinals27. We could go 0-2019 vs this slightly above mediocre squad from Chicago. I wonder if that has ever occured in mlb (15 game minimum) ? We may need to check with Skip and our good friends over at the Elias Sports Bureau with this one.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Cards are what i thought they would be, very average they had a great month but they got OWNED in MIL to start the year and cubs just finished showing them they still not that good in CHC…

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That series went about as bad as could be. The first and third games are what they are – the Cubs simply dominated. What hurts is that Saturday game. That was the one you had to win. The manager violated the old rule of “never put the tying or winning run on base”, and got burned.

Even had Schwarber hit a 3-run bomb in that one you still had the lead.

Anyway, gotta rebound and win these home series.

As for Wong-DeJong, definitely a great team up the middle. With those two, Bader in center, and a solid one-two catching duo we are good there, and usually teams strong in the middle are contenders. But that “strong in the middle” includes pitching, which I think we are pretty in pretty good shape as well.

If healthy, St. Louis will be in the hunt for a post season berth.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we had just been swept by the Padres or Braves there wouldn’t be nearly as much angst as there is with the fan base but getting swept by your detested rival stings more. Not only are they our rival but they have bullied us around the last four years. I don’t blame our fans for feeling down because I think we all know that until we prove we can bully the Cubs back we aren’t going to win this division.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get that folks are upset about this sweep, but repeating that the Cards won more head to head games with the Cubs last season. So, no, they weren’t bullied in 2018.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not head to head last year but they still advanced further than we did. 2014 is the last time we advanced further than them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You shift to a different point, for which we will likely not know the answer for 2019 until late September.

This was three games of 19. 16 more to go.

NJ315
    Participant

As of today I don’t see the rotation as anything but pedestrian. We do not have a starter with an era under 4. Except Ponce. It may be very good going forward but it is not a strength yet.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agree, NJ. That game pitched by Hendricks in the opener set the stage for the series. The Cards haven’t had that kind of dominating pitching outing much at all this season. The bullpen isn’t going to bail them out forever.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yuck of a series….caught the Cubs at a bad time too…a little bad luck in the second game, but other than that we didnt really put up much of a fight

It is a marathon and not a sprint, so hopefully, just like how the BRewers took it to us early AT their place, and then we righted the ship and got things under control against them, the same will happen against the Cubs

i am starting to get concerned about CArp…i don’t care if he has done this the last 2 years or not, it is not encouraging

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter went 5-for-10 on Saturday and Sunday. We will see if this is the start of a turnaround.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp is back….
    took him long enough. You could see a big improvement with his swing towards the end of the Nats series….though he didn’t have much to show for it. Time for us to fasten our belts, because Carp is going to treat us to quite a nice run.

cubbies still suck and it’ll be unequivocally proved by season’s end!

Viewing 14 posts - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years