StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PugsleyAddams 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Men hitting versus timid soft boys hitting. At some point these cardinals need some leadership and mental toughness.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A really bad series for the Cards. I’ll continue to maintain that the starting pitching will kill any hopes of this team going far. They are going to have to make a painful trade at the deadline for starting pitching or even a playoff spot may be out of reach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

25, do you think the starting pitching is going to get worse than it has been? The reason I ask is that even with a loss tonight, the Cards will be on track for 95 wins. That is a clear playoff pace.

I sense this bad series has overly slanted the view of the whole season, similar to the opening season series in Milwaukee.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

This franchise will do zero under Moz. He is getting owned and it shows when the cards have to play the big boys. We have “on paper talent” but not true competitors that have any guts at all. Soft baseball players.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

25, do you think the starting pitching is going to get worse than it has been? The reason I ask is that even with a loss tonight, the Cards will be on track for 95 wins. That is a clear playoff pace.

No, I don’t think so. I think it will get a bit better. But the offense and bullpen have both outperformed what I expect will be their level the rest of the season, IMO.

Despite the good pace, a loss tonight leaves the Cards tied for the Wild Card and one game in front of Milwaukee. Given the lack of tanking teams in the NL, they might need to maintain that 95 win pace as 91-92 wins might be sitting at home this year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ozuna goes fishing and whiffs with runners on the corners and two outs in the seventh. Cards down by four and running out of time.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is this the first Gregerson has pitched since his return? Not the greatest start, if so.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, and yes. Pulled after one in and one on with two outs in the seventh.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I sense this bad series has overly slanted the view of the whole season, similar to the opening season series in Milwaukee

Agree with you Brian. Let’s all cool our jets, and take the long view. We actually had pretty good starting pitching during the LA, MIL, NYM, WASH run, this current series notwithstanding. That said, Schildt needs to see what we all see — Waino needs to be on a very short leash. His fastball doesn’t have the velocity to setup good hitters three times through, and his control on the uncle Charlies just isn’t that good any more. Those hitters are going to figure that out, and they did tonight. Wacha gives up the four bagger yesterday on a misplaced pitch and Flaherty gives up three early uncharacteristically on Friday. Base running errors and a few defensive miscues have added to the poor showing at Wrigley, but not time to panic or start trading players. Goldy, Carp and DeJong need to get consistency up at the plate, and base running errors need to reduce to zero. Do that, and we keep the Div lead for the foreseeable future.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fun fact: the Cards have had to go on the road for the first series against every division foe thus far. The Reds were in Mexico, of course…but the schedule makers have done St Louis no favors this year.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We actually had pretty good starting pitching during the LA, MIL, NYM, WASH run, this current series notwithstanding

I felt like that was the case, too. So I did a little digging. The Cards starters allowed a .258/.321/.472 line from April 8 (LA series) to May 2. Their 4.36 ERA ranked 17th in MLB, their FIP was 27th and their wOBA was 20th. So…it really wasn’t as good as it appeared, unfortunately. They were very mediocre, in fact. The bullpen and offense were the reasons for the team’s good run, it seems.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs got all the breaks in this series. Its a game of inches at times and this series those inches went the Cubs favor.

AND WHY OH WHY DID SHILDT LEAVE WAINWRIGHT IN TO PITCH TO RIZZO AFTER TWO HARD HIT BALLS???

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope the cubs score 20 runs here in the 8th. It’s become painfully obvious that getting beat in the first 2 games of this series didn’t fire our boys up. Maybe getting ridiculously drubbed will do the trick?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Every time I see Rat type the word “balls”, I become very fearful that he’s poised to send another one of his “fantastic” jokes our way.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, this inning should just about end any reason to pitch Leone anytime but garbage time going forward. Does he have any options left?

A reminder that some fans are “fine” with being embarrassed by Chicago this weekend.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They just may get their 20 as Bryant jerks a granny that just eclipses the centerfield ivy….13-2 now.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On the short end of a 13-2 game in the bottom of the 8th, why do you bring in yet another arm out of the pen unless you are desperately looking to get a pitcher some work???? Not the case here! Can someone please help me out here as maybe I’m missing something.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

What you are asking is for a team that really has zero men that are true competitors to actually have some fire inside and some pride. If you recall the cubs called out this city and team and this is the response the Redbirds give. But that’s all they can give. They are outmanned in every facet of the game against the cubs. The cubs have a demeanor of attack and they get very fired up to play the cardinals. They have a manager and a GM that attack the game. Cardinals are pretenders and are very soft.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

How much does not giving a damn about the getaway game in DC carry over to this disaster in Chicago? I think a good bit. Destroyed the vibes and got the team flat footed.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grasping for any possible positives out of this debacle, it looks like Carpenter has emerged from his long slump during this series. DeJong now jacks a 2 run blow to put us within 9 runs of the lead here in the 9th with 2 outs. As Jim Caray (No relation to Harry or Chip) once said…..”so you’re telling me there’s a chance”.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna now ramrods a blast to left and now we’re within a scant 8 runs of tying this baby up…..stranger things in this universe have occured…..I think.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Just like I said last night. Not too high or low with these. Think you DFA Leone if he’s out of options though. He isn’t good at all. Ready for wacha to be gone. If they don’t sweep back at home I’ll be pretty mad. This wasn’t just a sweep. It was a statement

Bunch of beta males playing alpha males

If I didn’t love baseball in general so much I’d probably reject those free tickets next time. Being in wrigley this weekend was enjoyable for the first 3.5 innings of one game

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar GACard.
    1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough series … agree with A-Rod statement that the Cards can turn this into a positive if they learn from their mistakes. Also agreed with comments that there were positives, just not enough. Too many mistakes.

GACard
    Participant

Free

We swept the cubs first series last year though and we saw what happened

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rotten series, at the wrong time. The club was bad at pitching, baserunning, batting, and real bad in centerfield defensively whenever Bader wasn’t out there. Honestly, during Spring Training, who among us thought we’d ever again see Dexter Fowler attempt to play center field in the majors? Honestly, based on the bizarre events of last year I knew than Shildt had a thing for Fowler, but I didn’t know how far it might extend. Now, I understand, he’s got a great head-to-head hitting record against Quintana.

So start Fowler in right field! Bader has to be in CF as long as he’s healthy. That’s how much better his glove is than anyone else on the team. And of course, re Jose Quintana, Bader murders southpaws. His whole life. At every level including MLB. Will someone please tell the manager all about that?

And yet, despite Mike Shildt’s highly questionable managerial notions the Cards are 1/2 game out, and on pace for 95 wins, despite also having played one of the four or five roughest schedules in the sport. (The easy stretch is from mid-June to the Midsummer Classic, when the Birds will play the Marlins 7 times, and have another 18 games all of which could be against teams with losing records by then. The best of the bunch are Seattle, San Diego, and the Mets. Okay teams, but not too daunting. I see a 17-8 or 18-7 run to finish the season’s first half.)

—————————-

It’s really stupid that the series was a sweep. I mean, think about it.
    Yesterday the Cards led by four runs early but the Cubs had the bases loaded. Lucky for the Birds, there was one out already, and due up were an aging journeyman non-hitter whose name I have already forgotten, barely a quad-A player, and then the pitcher’s spot with his career sub-.100 average — and it was early enough in the game that very likely neither one of those awful non-hitters would be pinch-hit for. So there was an 80-90% chance that the Cards would leave the inning with at least a 2-run lead. And probably a better than even money chance they’d retain the entire 4-run lead.

And based on all the events that followed, if they leave the inning with a multi-run lead, they almost assuredly win the game. And if they win the game, they’re 1 1/2 games in front of the cubs now, and on pace for a 100-win season.

So if not for the capricious and malicious gods of baseball interceding on behalf of that journeyman cipher yesterday, the Cards would be sitting very pretty indeed right now. Good for whatshisname. He got a grand slam he can tell his grandchildren about some day. Right after asking them if they want fries with their Big Mac.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years