StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 34 thread: Sun 5/5 at Cubs

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar PugsleyAddams 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (3-2, 3.73) vs. LHP Jose Quintana (3-1, 3.48) ESPN // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Wainwright can keep us in this game through six innings then I would feel safe to say that he is legitimate this year.

This would be a HUGE win for the Redbirds.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting read before the later start today.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
    DeJong-Wong might rank with elite Cardinals’ keystone combos
    By Rick Hummel St. Louis Post-Dispatch

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/dejong-wong-might-rank-with-elite-cardinals-keystone-combos/article_c5698bf9-97c9-5765-ad52-ce0395e81496.html#1

I think that a lot of fans would go with who they grew up with. Personally, I loved the Groat-Javier combo. Both were sound offensively and in the field. Ahhh… those were the days.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great article. I grew up with Ozzie and Tommy Herr. I can’t imagine any keystone combo better than that but I acknowledge that DeJong and Wong have really turned out to be much better than I thought.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

How about Marty Marion (eight-time All-Star, NL MVP) and Red (10-time All-Star, HOF)? They had a lot of success together.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Surprised to see Bader sitting against the LHP. gscottar, you may be right about that job share in CF.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Surprised to see Bader hitting against the LHP. gscottar, you may be right about that job share in CF.

Uh, what?

You say you are surprised Bader is hitting against the LHP. But you have Fowler in your lineup???

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A very minor typo of one letter changed the entire meaning. It is now corrected to “sitting”, rather than “hitting”.

P.S. I don’t make the lineups. 😉

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

That’s okay Brian. You can keep your job – for now. But if Pugs finds out about this that may be a whole new ballgame. But then again, Pugs is probably going to be sitting next to Amy at the Mets/Brewers game so he might miss this.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even Wade Boggs swung and missed every now and then, Brian.

Every year there are between 5-8 key pivotal games that define a team’s strength and heart. Tonight’s game is one of these. This 2019 Cardinal squad has already passed the test in both earlier attempts in these ever telling contests. Our 2011 Cardinal team went 7-0 and the 2006 squad 7-1 in these games. Yes, it’s only early May, but in my mind this is a huge game!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Amy is all your’s, Rat. You know the old adage “may the best man win”….and they don’t come any better than Rat!

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Big game for sure. But I would say a win today is a bigger deal for the Cubs than for us. If they win they’ll think they own us the rest of the year. Can’t let them have that.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

FYI here,
    I am watching the Giants/Reds game in Cincinnati. Homeplate umpire Paul Nauert is having a really bad day with balls and strikes. And I mean really bad.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think RF belongs to JMart right now but I am surprised Fowler is starting over Bader tonight considering how well Bader hits lefties.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but I read somewhere earlier today that Fowler has good numbers against Quintana. I guess Shildt is going with that.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp!! You can’t do that in this situation! You just CANNOT bail Quintana out like that!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

You can’t teach stupid. When you hesitate head into 2nd it won’t normally work out heading to 3rd. Bad Ball!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Why is Bader not Playing?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Should have been…..just cost us 2 runs. Not an easy catch, but the only thing Fowler can catch these days is the gard darn flu!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Zobrist in left catches his challenging play and Fowler in center cannot catch his. Two plays with the same degrees of difficulty. Turn those two plays around where Zobrist misses his and Fowler catches his and we have the lead right now instead of being on the short end of a 3-0 score.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Starting pitching not good enough. Does Dewitt not see the sign?

We can’t afford this shit! They need to make a move for a starter. May 5th

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi got it!!! Just misses the 3 RUN throttle…..but we’ll take the 2 run double.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler beat that!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Besides Fowler getting almost picked off at 1st, you know what really chaps my arse on that play! That clown of a 1st base ump almost jumped out of this pants with animated excitement calling Dexter out……dude is an unprofessional chump!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks should be plenty rested for the Phillies series.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years