StL 2019 Game 33 thread: Sat 5/4 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 33 thread: Sat 5/4 at Cubs

This topic contains 62 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I agree with Minuteman on Langosh. If you missed the game and want a rundown of what happened you sure won’t get it from her. She may be a nice person, but she has a hard time covering a baseball game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Darvish was absolutely garbage yesterday. What a waste of $120M. We should have scored 10 runs off of him.

The problem is Wacha wasn’t much better. He goes too deep into the count on almost every batter which means he is always lucky to get through 5 innings. He doesn’t even look like the same pitcher as he did when he broke onto the scene his first year or two. I guess it is the injuries I don’t know. We give him a 5-1 lead then he gives up a grand slam to some journeyman doing his Tom Lawless impersonation.

It will be interesting to see if Wacha is offered the QO. I know the Cardinals would like the draft pick but I think Wacha would accept the QO. Free agency isn’t what it used to be. Would you want to pay Wacha $18M next year? I wouldn’t.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At this point, my guess would be that Ozuna gets a qualifying offer and for the reasons you mentioned, Wacha will not. But there is five months of play ahead.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not worried about 1 series. After the terrible start in Milwaukee we rebounded. The Cubs have had it their way this series. We’ve had a lot of hard hit balls at their fielders. Just win tonight and you lose 1 game on the standings.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

True C27 but the Cubs have an easy automatic four wins coming up against the Marlins. We don’t want to fall too far behind them.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

The difference is when we play the Marlins we won’t sweep them. The cubs have a
    Focus and a toughness and a demeanor the cardinal franchise doesn’t have. They play hungry and with a chip on their shoulders. This club lacks real leadership and as I’ve stated this club has zero toughness.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ALso, I must say the Cards were beat by career minor leaguer, 29 years old, first major league homer, with 31 career homers in the minors. It’s time for the Cards to get some breaks.
    I just read Brian’s most recent article and agree completely. I concede nothing to the Cubs. This is a DIFFERENT team.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Cardinals27.
    NJ315
    Participant

They don’t need breaks. They needed for Wacha to make a better pitch. That loss is mainly on him. There is no excuse for that pitch.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is article to which C27 referred. I put a wrapper around some of the discussion here.

No Reason for Cards Fans to Give Cubs the High Ground

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I haven’t read all the posts to this thread but I have not seen mention of the first inning ‘run on contact’ play in which the catcher sat down and had a cup of coffee before the arrival of Matt Carpenter attempting to score on a bouncer to 3B. Was this a Carp decision or a Maloney shout out or just a blind run on contact decision. In any case it cost us a run and that run sure loomed large at the end. I don’t know if your can say everything that followed the play would have been the same but I do believe that the run would have scored before the inning was over. And that is all I have to say about Game 33. But now that McCarver is gone I hold little hope that the Game 34 ESPN folks will be any better.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t see if any of the media asked after the game whose decision it was to send Carpenter, but I agree it was a bad decision. Even McCarver said so at the time. 😉

In a minor correction, Pop Warner is the third base coach. They’ve been through a few since Maloney was fired.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Talk is cheap. The bottom line is that the Cubs have advanced further than the Cardinals every season since 2014. Until that changes Cardinal fans have reason to be skeptical.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Maloney/Baloney- Warner/Corner – memory for this old fart is a fleeting thing.

Shildty is probably thinking he goes a pitch too far with his guys lately – Wacha and the meat ball to Davis (is he really Crash Davis?) and Leone with his meatball to another Cubs cruncher.

How oh how do we get to fatten up the bullpen’s runs scored record – Gregerson and Leone seem to be the answer. Overheard – McCarver speaking to Gregerson after the game: “Son this is the BIG LEAGUES not those A, AA, AAA kids you been impressing.”

ESPN – Lets don’t go there. But they did try to put some medicine on the wounds when the outcome was no longer in doubt and every Cub had been lauded.

The Cubs are a team to be reckoned with. Let’s see how it works out at Busch.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years