StL 2019 Game 33 thread: Sat 5/4 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 33 thread: Sat 5/4 at Cubs

This topic contains 62 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again runner on third less than two outs. Nothing.

Shildt should have had Bader hit for Fowler.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frustrating to have two on and no out and do not score.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Terrible day for Goldy.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It sure will be nice when Goldschmidt wakes up from his spring siesta.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My empire for a hit! The Redbirds are 3-13 with runners in scoring position so far! Yikes!

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Go get some men that know how to swing the bat and hit w authority. This club for the 4th year in a row is full of
    pretenders. Soft all around.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Cards have wussed this one away. Can’t keep missing so many opportunities while allowing them to capitalize on crucial mistakes.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have stranded too many runners in this game. We had the chance to break it open. Cubs have hit a couple of big homers and haven’t stranded many.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Frustrating loss.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, we beat ourselves today.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Just a terrible loss to give this one away like they did. For goodness sake, try to come out tomorrow without having a case of the squirts.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I told you…Sweep.

Cardinals cant win at Wrigley. The Cubs get 110% FIRED UP to play the Cardinals at Wrigley. More so than any other team. We will be lucky if we win one game at Wrigley this year. Sh~t happens to the Cards at Wrigley – like the grand slam today.

r/Esteemed Rat

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Shildt should have had Bader hit for Fowler.”

It certainly would have been the smartest thing, if a little impolitic. Delicate Dexter and all.

Fowler v. lefties this year, .533 OPS.
    Bader v. lefties this year, 1.086 OPS (.948 MLB career, and roughly 1.200 in the minors).

I’d like to think that if it had been the 7th or 8th inning instead of the 5th, that Shildt would have pinch hit for Fowler. But I just don’t know.

Bader has to not only start against every lefty, he should obviously bat near the TOP of the order every single time. And his lefty-mashing should have been leveraged today — though, again, I did not expect Shildt to remove Fowler that early in the game. I’m not sure any manager would have removed any veteran who’s been hitting well, in favor of a much younger player, just because of extreme splits.

But Mr. Shildt? Think of tactics like this: If you make a move that the opposing manager did NOT want you to make, then you are on the right track. And believe me, Joe Maddon did NOT want to see Harrison Bader at the plate with a lefty on the mound and the bases loaded.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, this is for you.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cards record at Wrigley beginning in 2015 is 15-25. Actually better than I expected. That includes the two losses here in 2019.

But its trending downward. 2017, 2018, and now 2019 the record is 5-16.

Lets face it posters, Wrigley isn’t a place where we should expect to win very much. The Cubs treat these games as the biggest games of the year.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This was a tough one to take. You take a 5-1 lead, and you simply have to win that game. There is the old axiom about “you win a third and lose a third, it’s that other third that makes the difference” Well this was one that we should have won, but it evolved in to one of those “third that could go either way”, and the club lost it.

Not much has been said about Goldschmidt, but he has missed a lot in key moments. He and Carpenter have not done a whole lot at the top of the order, at least not enough.

It’s early, but giving this one up puts some pressure to win the get-away game. Still not anything critical, but you do not want to keep making excuses.

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

Luke Voit 9 home runs 27 RBI .278 BA .371 OBP .556 SLG .938 OPS – salary $573 K

Paul Goldschmidt 9 hr 19 RBI .254 BA .338 OBP .492 SLG .830 OPS – salary $14.5 mil ($26 mil next 5)

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals staff ranks 4th in homers given up in all of baseball and 10th in walks. We’ve gotten lucky for the most part with some of the homers being of the solo variety. Not this series. Walks and Homers have been the thorn in the starters side. Plain and simple they’ve killed us. The starters are going too deep in counts and that leads to teams with a lineup like the Cubs to take advantage.

I do think they get up every time they play us but if we’re not excited no matter what the circumstances then we’ve got some issues. We’ve got to beat them and Milwaukee to get back the division that has been lost the last 3 seasons.

I just don’t understand why we didn’t go for blood diamonds against Washington and play our normal lineup. That series was for the sweeping! However we can get something back with a win tomorrow. Let’s keep a good thought and maybe we can get uncle charlie working some magic and get a W.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Not going for the sweep against the nats looks more and more baffling (as I mentioned yesterday). A win tomorrow would be nice. Just trying to not get too high or low based on great home and bad away results against cubs or brewers this year. I think that will be the case all year. Schildt made the right call on the walk to Schwarber but wacha threw a BP ball to a quad A player. Inexcusable

I hate to be a grouch but I’ll be happy when the wacha era is over

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I enjoyed the game and was surprised that the offense was backing up Wacha as much as they did but some days you are the gold mine and others the shaft and Shildty found that out with his walk to Swarber to get an easy out with a seldom used catcher who swings at anything — Wacha gave him a fat one.

Goldy is my favorite but what is it with the strikeouts? Jose had a chance to pull us even but the HPU screwed up royally on that time out. When a batter has his hand up and the bat on the ground one would think a time out is in order. That blew Jose’s mind and, as he admitted, affected his concentration for the whole bat.

When is Jen Langosh going to leave? All she is doing is writing puff pieces on certain players – deserved but surely not game summaries. Yesterday it was JMart’s turn but she never mentioned the grand slam or a lot of other plays. She is definitely phoning it in. The guy named Ian Quillen who has written several game summaries lately is not bad.

For those who bemoan the record of the Cards in Wrigley, was it not last season or 2017 that they swept the Cubs at Wrigley in a 3 game series? At least they are now being furnished a dressing room instead of having to dress on the bus…..lol.

A good Sunday to all and may the Cards win on ESPN – not usually their best appearances.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Notice I never mentioned McCarver. He is unmentionable. He and Danny are sharing a room.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My post last night was the last signal I had until just now. I had a bad feeling when I woke up that the Cards (up 5-1 when I signed off) had lost 6-5. As I thought, so it was. Stinks to lose to those bums, but it happens. Must win tonight or they’ve lost all their momentum.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not only would they have lost momentum, but also first place.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maddon made beating Cardinals in St Louis a priority for the Cubs when he took the helm. He told his team that the Division belonged to the Cardinals until they could beat the Cards at home. I think Shildt needs to make a similar point of emphasis to his team.

I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes it has to be said out loud.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar 1964cards.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One difference is that Maddon has a history of playing to the press. For all we know, Shildt may have said it, too, but did not feel the need to tell the media (or the fan base). My view is that what Shildt says to his players is far more important than what he tells me – and by all indications, the players respect him for his open communications.

By the way, as far as beating the Cubs at home, the Cards did that solidly last season, six games to three. They haven’t yet played at Busch in 2019. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years