StL 2019 Game 21 thread: Sun 4/21 vs. Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 21 thread: Sun 4/21 vs. Mets

This topic contains 59 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Hicks Ks the first batter, Ramos. He threw an 0-2 pitch right down the middle. I guess if the batter is expecting something else, it’s hard to react to 102 mph, even if it is right down the middle. Now Davis grounds out to Wong.

Alonso keeps the inning alive with a single after Hicks ramped the heat up to 104. Lagares is the tying run at the plate, but is called out looking at a 104 heater. Cards win 6-4.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I worry about Miller. His stats are bad this year, but he’s pitched worse than his results indicate.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Several observations:

I don’t agree with some of the Sabermaticians philosophies but I do feel that WAR is the best measure of the overall value of a player to his team. I ranked all teams based on total WAR for a couple of years. The results are very close to the final standings. In 2017 I think there was only one exception.

Early, but DeJong seems to finally appear to be a solid major league player, even all-star caliber. He is taking better at bats but it appears to me that his greatest advance is on defense. He appears to have increased his range and is playing more within himself, showing a strong arm and a much more accurate one. Looks very confident on D. Perhaps Goldschmidt is a factor.

Hudson’s background shows more command and fewer home runs. He struggled today, but hung in better than he has earlier in the season. But his command both out of and in the zone needs much improvement. His misses out of the zone are often way too far off to accomplish anything. Too many fat down the middle pitches in the zone. I would not be surprised to see him in Memphis as the IL guys become available. I think he has a good future but needs refinement. The ball Fowler tipped over the wall would have been caught by both Bader and O’Neill and certainly Thomas.

Hicks may be getting close the the elite closer. His heater is hard enough to hit but the breaking pitch is nearly impossible. A significant change early in the season is more strikeouts. That will get him out of jams that he didn’t escape last year.

I like the way Shildt was playing it before Bader and O’Niell went on the IL. No question Martinez can hit but he could hurt us bad on D against the better teams. He failed to get critical balls in two of the three games with Milwaukee when we were swept out of the playoffs by them last year. Both times it led to big innings. You don’t have as much room for error against the top teams. As far as Bader and O’Neill are concerned, there is a danger of overexposing them and Shildt has to be alert for that.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Solid thoughts, Sooner. Thank you for sharing them.

Minuteman3
    Participant

“The ball Fowler tipped over the wall would have been caught by both Bader and O’Neill and certainly Thomas.”
    Easy to say but impossible to prove. Both Bader and ONeil missed such balls in their last game before injury.
    I would doubt that Martinez defense has cost us more runs than he has brought – and probably never will. The man has played OF his entire career and, despite the knocks he takes from posters citing the company line of how evil he is, the just continues to help the team win games. If a player wears the birds on the bat I support them but I understand some are better than others at their craft. I have seen nothing from ONeil other than a big bat at times (but not often enough). I think we have a decent OF no matter who is playing.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t recall anyone calling Martinez evil, nor do I understand why there would be “a company line” about him, or what that even means. The Cardinals seem to really like him. Most do not question his hitting ability, however there is a legitimate disagreement over the extent of the negative impact of his defense, and therefore how to view him overall as a player.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Martinez has played better defense this year. Or maybe moving him away from first base has helped. He was among the worst first basemen I have ever seen. At least in the outfield only his limited range is exposed. He is not a long term fix, only a valuable fill in, and his bat is the reason for that.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t see how someone didn’t go after him as a DH. Also it appears to me that he is better in left field than right. You could still see him go in a trade to an AL team at the deadline. Particularly the attention he is getting with his current hitting.

Minuteman3
    Participant

I don’t see him going this season at all. The story was that they could not get anything of value from AL teams in an off season trade so they decided to give him a two year 2+million contract and I can see them keeping him at least that long. Very cheap price for a good hitter and if he tails off in BA not much is lost. He is also a case of high fan likes as well as teammates. I am convinced he is an ADD case but, in this position, that only helps the team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Minuteman is spot on. JMart isn’t going anywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years