StL 2019 Game 19 thread: Fri 4/19 vs. Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 19 thread: Fri 4/19 vs. Mets

This topic contains 84 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Minuteman3 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

the cardinals just don’t do the small things. maybe Martinez can save the day.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

a very bad inning

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As noted, the defense was back. Carpenter should have moved much farther down the line as no one was covering third base. He was way too cautious. If he had gone down the line, he could have broke for home and scored easily when the throw was made to first. The Mets telecast is replaying it. I bet FSM is not.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

JMart whiffs and after 5 the Birds still find themselves on the short end of a 4-1 score. Still plenty of time to get these chumps!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A Helsley fastball landed on the grass berm, courtesy of Pete Alonso. Mets 5-1 in the sixth.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Going from bad to worse. Could be a three run lead if Carp had headed for home. I kept waiting for the score to change until they panned back to third to show Carp still standing there. Now we need a big inning or two, and it’s not looking good. One bright side — Helsley can definitely throw a ball.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler doubled and Thomas homered in his first MLB at-bat. Cards close to 5-3 in the sixth.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Lane Thomas goes opposite field and makes it a ball game again. Keep the Mets to 5 runs and we have a chance of stealing this one back.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

problem is bwalton, the more you edge home, you can be caught at third. in your scenario the pitcher automatically is throwing to first. carp isn’t very fast and for him to get out far enough to score would have given the pitcher a chance to pick him off. the pitcher looked at him so if he had been off too far, he would have went there. he only needs to be off three steps, maybe less if he isn’t going back to bag. ive seen that play go just like that and I know it well cause I taught my son and others how to do it when he was pitching as well as others. use runners aggressiveness against them. but in the end its over. turning into a good game.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well here we go, time to get some hits.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Congrats to L.T. on kicking off his ML career in style. I don’t see how we could possibly lose a game like this??

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well that was a horrible way to start off an inning goldy.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

its getting close, might have been smart to pinch run for Molina if we have any fast pitchers on bench not going to pitch.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

good play by third, shouldn’t have thrown it probably. if he had faked first, probably would have had Molina in a run down but our good fortune and didn’t have to pinch run.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

we need that elusive sacrifice fly.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This game will be in the bag shortly….nice comeback win for our boys!

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well they fail with runners in scoring position again. just like Edmonds said, not getting runners in with less than two outs just kills your team

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I hope pugs is right but they need to get the starting pitching figured out or this could get ugly late July. Bullpen will be burned out.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

bullpens been mostly solid for us tonight. time to win it in the bottom of the ninth

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ouch! Tomorrow is a new day though…..and with it shall come a renewed sense of energy and enthusiasm.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Another poor outing from the starters and some missed opportunities.

Cubs are now .500

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, there was no one near third base so Carpenter could have easily gotten back, even with a more aggressive lead. As it was, that run could have been the difference in the 5-4 loss.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I watched about 3 minutes of this one as they failed to get the tying run in during the 8th, and that was 3 minutes too much.

If they can’t beat the guy with the 14 ERA, how will they beat either of the next two? I’m afraid I fully expect this to be a home sweep.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well bwalton we are just gonna be on different sides there. soon as the ball was hit and fielded, the third baseman should have been there or close being that’s where the third baseman goes when the ball is hit to someone else. now maybe in this case he was just out there standing in a daze, I don’t know but his job was to be there in short order and carpenter doesn’t have time to see if the third baseman is standing twenty feet from the bag when the ball is fielded, he has to watch the play and react based on what he sees there assuming the third baseman is at third or closing in on it by the time the pitcher fielded it. being that carpenter isn’t quick or fast, I don’t blame him. if he had went and done what people are saying and got thrown out, people would have been on him for making the first out at home. the real bum isn’t carpenter, its ozuna for not getting him in with less than two outs along with others in same situation with other guys on third.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

They might want to kick the tires on Keuchel or Gio if he becomes available tomorrow. They need another veteran on this roster. Thought it all along.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years