StL 2019 Game 17 thread: Tue 4/16 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 17 thread: Tue 4/16 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It appears this year’s match up with the Brewers is a no contest — or maybe we should just say “no mas,” giving a nod to the recent trip south of the border. Pedro’s “daddy” comment comes to mind. Baseball is a marathon and things will change, but it’s hard to envision the Cards seriously competing with their roster this year. They’ve made some great moves and built something really nice.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I don’t think he needs to be optioned. I just think he needs to speak from the heart and not be a company man. I like him but the comment was off base. You can’t tell me anyone likes what they see out of this staff.

It’s not just the ERA. It’s fact we have to dig into our pen so early into games because the starters can’t seem to throw strikes or lack command of their plus pitches and serve them up on a platter.

I mean the it’s early excuse is wearing thin. I mean 36 year old Adam Wainwright can go 6 innings 2 out of his 3 starts this year. What everyone else excuse?

I mean I hate to say this. Milwaukee could very well be that much better than us and everyone else in the central. Which is bad news for our playoff hopes.

NJ315
    Participant

why bring Helsley in now? Gallegos k’d Yelich before.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ315
    Participant

Did you expect anything else?? Yelich homers

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Now it’s time to hit the bastar-!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m about sick of Y* by now.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He should’ve thrown a fastball to Yelich but hey welcome to the bigs kid! lol

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Brian … Why do they even pitch to Yellich in that situation? You are throwing a guy who just arrived from AAA and you have him throw to the reincarnation of Babe Ruth.

NJ315
    Participant

Why are you sick of him?? He is doing his job. Our manager handed him that opportunity in a platter.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s amazing our pitchers seem to nibble and fall behind too many batters, but have no trouble laying one over the plate time after time for Yelich.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

why bring Helsley in now? Gallegos k’d Yelich before.

If the starters can’t go through or are expected to go through the 2nd part of the order. What makes you think the bullpen let alone a guy fresh from AAA can get lucky twice. lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLR has always talked about putting guys in a position to succeed. I am struggling to understand the choice of Helsley to make his MLB debut to pitch to Yelich with two on.

NJ315
    Participant

I agree Brian. Why bring him to face Yelich?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s probably the same feeling that fans had watching the Cards for many years… they take average or slightly above average players and make them superstars, sign aging players and nobodies and somehow they end up being great. I’m convinced at this point that if Mike Trout put on a Cardinals uniform, he would magically become a bumbling CF who stole 5 bases and hit .250.

Y*, Cain, Moustakas, Thames, Aguilar, etc…it just works for them.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I agree Brian. Why bring him to face Yelich?

I can think of one reason. Throw away game by Shildt.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

much better results going to the fastball that inning. Not facing Yelich helps.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858, if that was the case, he would have just left Gallegos in the game.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The kid got a hit! Rally starter?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards pull to within 8-4 in the eighth. Gyorko was called out looking on this pitch with two on and two out.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Plate ump had a very wide zone for Gyorko. Off the edge inside was a called strike, and way off the edge outside was also a called strike for the K. 200 would be a great batting average if it was called like that consistently.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Tyler Webb must be wondering what all the hullabaloo over Yelich is. He struck him out on four pitches and made him look pedestrian on two swinging misses.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

858, if that was the case, he would have just left Gallegos in the game.

Maybe there was a limit that he was willing to go with Gallegos and that limit was facing Yelich a 2nd time. I mean sure you can burn Giovonni because you’ve got an off day tomorrow but Shildt didn’t.

Honestly other than the homer RH looks like a guy who can come in and take the place of Mayers in the bullpen no problem. Didn’t seem to be rattled after that.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

And Wilson strikes out the side. Bad call by the ump on Gyorko’s ring up, but Cards shouldn’t complain. Poor offense most of the game and poor managing—8 LOB so far and 2/6 RISP, plus the questionable pitching substitutions. They’re right where they deserve to be. Need to regroup for tomorrow.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Having Wieters and Munoz batting in the 9th in Goldy’s and DeJong’s spots when trailing makes it seem like the manager perhaps did some questionable maneuvering during the game. Or maybe he just said the hell with this game before those moves.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.