StL 2019 Game 16 thread: Mon 4/15 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 16 thread: Mon 4/15 at Brewers

This topic contains 86 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NJ315 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:40 p.m. RHP Dakota Hudson (0-1, 2.79) vs. RHP Freddy Peralta (1-0, 6.91) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some deep insight from Hungo…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GScott posted yesterday:

Goldy got off to a bad start last year then really turned it on. Here are his batting averages per month for 2018:

Apr- .273
    May- .144
    June- .364
    July- .317
    Aug- .356
    Sep- .273
    He can’t afford another poor month in May unless he hits .400 in June/July/August. He needs to start cutting down on Ks and getting on base more while Ozuna is hot.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Among eight starters, it is very rare to have a number of players hot at the same time. First it was Wong, now Ozuna has heated up. Carpenter and Goldschmidt will have their stretches ahead. I see it a little differently in that the hot periods for players not being stacked on top of each other could be better over the long season. A 15-2 win counts the same as a 5-2 victory. As long as the team keeps playing .600 baseball, that is what I focus on most. Current pace is 97 wins, so the big picture looks good, though there will always be individuals struggling. Such is the nature of the game.

This second Brewers series will offer an important measure of whether the team has progressed or the Dodgers series was an anomaly.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a big start for Hudson. CMart could be back in a couple of weeks and if he comes back as a starter he will bump someone out of the rotation. That someone would probably be Hudson if the decision had to be made today.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He can’t afford another poor month in May unless he hits .400 in June/July/August. He needs to start cutting down on Ks and getting on base more while Ozuna is hot.

I wouldn’t worry about Goldy. He hit .144 last May yet finished 6th in the NL MVP vote. He has a pretty good track record.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp was bad early last year too…yet despite his meteoric rise from the ashes last year people still think he is not dependable and not to be trusted

my concern with trading for Goldy was twofold….first it was only one year…and Weaver and Kelly and Young seemed to have nice value going forward…but then they re-signed Goldy (albeit a late life contract)…still fine i get it

but my second problem was that Goldy had the same type of year Carp did last year, which is what i didnt want in a longer term signing….we already had that player in cCArp and adding another, while it does raise the chance for for having at least one guy on and not slumping, did not make me feel all that great

Carp was a lot more consistent early on, and now after a few injuries has become very streaky…are we seeing this with Goldy too? He was pretty healthy, then got hurt a bit stopped running as much and had a year like last year

I don’t know…i love his glove at 1st…i love the power he can uncork, but if we are looking at a .225 hitter who plays good defense and hits 25HRs we should have just kept Grichuk

Machado and Harper for all the ridiculousness of the conversations are one thing… young and less prone to injuries and injuries that are more detrimental to their contracts…. even if MAchado or Harper lose a year to a big injury, the life of that contract it can be made up for with just a few really great years… with Goldy…if he gets hurt, or even a minor injury that nags him could take him out of having a good year in the few years he has left to produce them and the life of the contract is so short making the chance the contract is “worth” it less…

blah blah blah…. im babbling

i like Goldy

but i worry w e were buying Goldy from 3yrs ago and not Goldy from last year going forward (similar to Miller too and several before them)…and there isnt much Goldy left going forward just by the reality of his age

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The… where have you been? I would love to see your lineup for the Cards.

I’m not worried about Goldschmidt, he should get going. Every player has rough spots during the season, his happens to be now. I don’t like the .144 last May but that’s only a baseball card stat.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, I get your opinion, but the Goldy of three years ago is the same as the Goldy of two years ago is the same as the Goldy of last year. You cannot find a more consistent hitter – as long as you look at seasons, not short stretches within them.

OPS+
    2016 133
    2017 142
    2018 140
    career 145

So far this year, 120. That means he is “only” 20 percent better than the average MLB hitter to date.

That is not anywhere near the same as Grichuk, whose career OPS+ is 109 and for this year so far is at 88.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I sure hope Amy is there tonight. You guys know Amy. The gal that sits in the front row there at Miller Park, just to the left of Homeplate on the TV.

r/Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You should have seen Amy 20 years ago, Rat!…..but it’s the personality that matters, right fellows. Speaking of ladies, I’ll be in attendance with my lesser half for tonight’s game, hence, no PBP tonight, gang! I still can’t get over our road trip to Mehico. So much so that I was just telling my lovely wife that in honor of our trip south of the border, both of us will be speaking nothing but Spanish the moment our vehicle enters Miller Park airspace. And we will not speak English again until we exit MP ( that’s “Miller Park” to the layman). We not only will be speaking Spanish to each other, but also to the people seated around us and to all MP personnel. We also will be eating nothing but Mexican food . We have one slight issue in that my wife has really improved her Spanish of late, but it’s still a bit questionable to say the least. But I came up with the great idea of bringing this small grease board along with us to the Park, so that anytime she stumbles with a word, I’ll quickly write it out for her on the grease board…..problemo solved! So be listening carefully tonight when the Cards hit a homer or score a run….for a couple Redbird fans yelling “Bravo bravo!!”

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is your homer call, Pugs, straight from a knowledgeable source.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My investigation has narrowed it down to these three prime suspects. Which one is Front Row Amy?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Advice from a Brewers fan friend of mine. In this case, Goldy would have scored anyway, ahead of DeJong’s back-to-back shot. Cards up 2-0 in the first.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As the Cards’ first ended on a very high infield popup, Danny Mac noted that Ozuna had remained on first despite there being two outs. Did he ignore Clapp or did Stubby not remind him to advance? Should he have needed a reminder? Sure sounded like lack of hustle, but no way to know for sure.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I sure hope Amy is there tonight. You guys know Amy. The gal that sits in the front row there at Miller Park, just to the left of Homeplate on the TV.

Yes Front Row Am is there. She was not there for opening day.

Good 2-0 start with Goldschmidt and DeJong going yard. Ozuna however forgot it was 2 outs and didn’t run around the bases. lol

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar 858booyah.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like she is in the same seat tonight as the above photo, which is from the 2018 NLCS.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another terrible throw by O’Neill on a fly to very short CF. It was halfway up the third baseline. Looks like the word out and teams are running on him, too (along with Ozuna). O’Neill was charged with the error as the Brewers take the lead 3-2.

And Yelich hits a three-run home run and like that, the score is 6-2.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I guess there truly is no skill such as “keeping the ball in the park.” Hudson gets pounded again and this game is blown wide open. 6-2 Brewers.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Why do the Cards keep pitching to Yelich? For the love of everything that is good, why? Its lunacy to keep doing the same thing hoping for different results. He’s now homered in 5 straight games against the Cards and 11-out-of-21 games.

On another note, the entire game changed when Cain robbed Carp’s HR. You could feel it.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Time to start building Reyes arm strength up so he can start. Hudson isn’t gonna last all season in the rotation when he cannot locate pitches.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Why did Robinson pinch hit for O’Neill? If it wasn’t injury related that’s baffling. Guy barely keeps in above the Mendoza line in triple A

He shouldn’t even be on a mlb roster

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Avatar GACard.
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Was Carps shot going to be a homer. Looked like it was going to hit the yellow line.

O’Neill is out with right arm soreness. This is not good!

It appears that Dakota is trying to make up for his wildness with just getting it over the plate and he’s getting crushed. Problem is they can’t keep throwing him out there if he can’t throw strikes and get some consistency. I hope they plan on having Carlos return as a starter because the volatility of the rotation is a concern early on. Guys are off to some slow starts and the pen can’t be continued to make up for the lack of quality starts by the rotation.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, apparently O’Neill hurt his arm and had to leave the game. Not clear if he hurt it on the throw or before.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years